• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Suggest Organizing My Bookshelves?

49 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, BaronSamedi said:

I think it looks great!

You definitely want to put your best books where they are going to garner the most attention and make you look the most sophisticated and having the philosophy books right in the middle seems like your best bet, but I would switch trade paper backs with Encyclopedias and absolute editions with History books.

Speaking of philosophy, what have you read? I have read quite a bit in my life (alot of time on my hands) I'd have to say my favorite philosopher has to be Frederich Nietzsche, maybe followed by Sartre or Descarte, I'm a pure existentialist, more on the side of Atheism (Why I enjoy Nietzsche so much) but Descarte was quite captivating to. I did enjoy Critique of Pure reason and how it transformed western philosophy.

Regarding history I loved Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe, touching how he said "We fought the wrong enemy" In reference to the war to come (At least in a cold war sense) with the Soviet Union. Have you ever read "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" By Edward Gibbon? (Very Good) 

I have the 60 Great Books that my dad bought in the 90's. Most of them are of assorted authors - about 3 per book - and I haven't read them all. There are very few that I could think of, being here at work. Alighieri and Virgil being 2 off the top of my head.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have the 60 Great Books that my dad bought in the 90's. Most of them are of assorted authors - about 3 per book - and I haven't read them all. There are very few that I could think of, being here at work. Alighieri and Virgil being 2 off the top of my head.

Virgil's Aeneid was an amazing book (As long as you get the prose translation) and I think you mean Dante, his divine comedy was great too. All of them are kind of like sequels to the Illiad and the Odyssey, Epic poetry!

Edited by BaronSamedi

1 hour ago, BaronSamedi said:

Virgil was an amazing book (As long as you get the prose translation) and I think you mean Dante, his divine comedy was great too. All of them are kind of like sequels to the Illiad and the Odyssey, Epic poetry!

You are a smart man!

20 hours ago, kav said:

You are a smart man!

I didn't notice a poetry section.

A lot of good American poets and philosophers you could fill a book shelf with

Walt Whitman

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Henry David Thoureau

And you need an autobiography section too

Malcolm X

Mohandis Ghandi- My Experiments with truth

Long Walk to Freedom- Nelson Mandella

The Gulag Archipelago- Alexsandr Solshynetsyn

And some Controversial books too (PM for details)

Oh and you definetly need

Seven Pillars of Wisdom- T.E Lawrence

On War- Karl VonClausewitz

Art of Modern Warfare- (Sun Tzu's Art of War in modern theory)

Edited by BaronSamedi

16 minutes ago, BaronSamedi said:

I didn't notice a poetry section.

A lot of good American poets and philosophers you could fill a book shelf with

Walt Whitman

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Henry David Thoureau

And you need an autobiography section too

Malcolm X

Mohandis Ghandi- My Experiments with truth

Long Walk to Freedom- Nelson Mandella

The Gulag Archipelago- Alexsandr Solshynetsyn

And some Controversial books too (PM for details)

Oh and you definetly need

Seven Pillars of Wisdom- T.E Lawrence

On War- Karl VonClausewitz

Art of Modern Warfare- (Sun Tzu's Art of War in modern theory)

Dont forget Plato and Epictetus.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Dont forget Plato and Epictetus.

I'm not really into the old guard Greek philosophy to be honest, but I did like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Emotional restraint and the ability to respond with reason rather then reacting to every little thing makes sense doesn't it?

Edited by BaronSamedi

Just now, BaronSamedi said:

I'm not really into the old guard Greek philosophy to be honest, but I did like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Emotional restraint and the ability to respond with reason rather then reacting to every little thing makes sense doesn't it?

Bingo.  also the ability not to respond when such is useless.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Bingo.  also the ability not to respond when such is useless.

I can't disagree with you.

This is a good thread to Help Cap with organizing his bookshelf and what books he should put on it, don't you think?

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
 T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Edited by BaronSamedi