• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this worth pressing?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I´m just starting out collecting SS and I was wondering if you guys think this comic would benefit from the pressing service, or if you think it would be best to leave it as is.

I´ve included the grader notes and some pictures.

7669243.jpg.8acb873a0bd46f6040185b22dc5125ca.jpg

7669244.jpg.a37b2053d189efd7a36a93328e887eaa.jpg

7669245.jpg.34b560270fccf98b778875d35b5c1ffe.jpg

image.png.5c48f76bbc7080d045f77cbc7aa1cbd9.png

Well to some extent it depends on what the post press grade would expect to be and what the marginal value difference would be, vs all the costs of press, regrade, shipping and insurance both ways, plus your personal opportunity cost of tying up your cash for six months. Plus add in the risk of damage in transit at any point in the process and just the uncertainty of lower or similar grades.

of course you factor in your own RETURN ON INVESTMENT preferences after all that to see if the math works out. And your ultimate goals.

3 hours ago, csaag said:

Not if CCS does it.  Not sure if 3rd party pressers have agreements with CGC which will let  the sign stay valid

I'm curious about that myself.  I know enough about pressing that it heat can affect certain conditions, i.e. ink.  Wonder how CCS does that....:bigsmile:

If it were mine, I wouldn't do anything else with it.  The very thought of the book being handled all over again...including pressing, would stress me out.  My fear might be unfounded, but I'd rather go conservative.  Nice book though!!!(thumbsu

Edited by Galen130
can't spell. lol

23 hours ago, csaag said:

I believe it also matters what type of marker was used.

It sure does. 

Sharpies are OK. 
Most inks are OK. 
You get into trouble when using pastel color ink or paint pens. Todd McFarlane loved those weird color paint pens, especially the white ones. He signed many books back in the day using those types of pens. They never fully dried and always remained “tacky” to the touch. Many of the signatures transferred off the book to the inner well, or we lifted by a simple press. It was a mess.