• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
4 4

347 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, gunsmokin said:

Does anyone know if this stuff is public domain? I’d love to have some of these blown up for display. Would make for some great Halloween decor.

From what I know, it wouldn’t be yet. That said, for what you’re writing about doing I can’t foresee a problem for you. 

1 hour ago, gunsmokin said:

Does anyone know if this stuff is public domain? I’d love to have some of these blown up for display. Would make for some great Halloween decor.

The first couple years are definitely public domain; anything from 1924 or earlier.

As to the rest of the issues, I believe MOST of them are.  I do not think the magazine ever renewed itself, and many of the authors did not.  There could easily be individual stories or pieces of art that were renewed separately, however.  Certainly most if not all the issues are available for download at the internet archive.  But I am absolutely not an expert, and if you're doing anything for commercial use I would be very careful.  Personal use should be fine, even if the items are not public domain.

Also, if you want, I would be happy to get you higher resolution scans of any of the stuff I've posted, if that will help you blow them up.

The only cover for WT by Gretta (J. Clemens Gretter), who, seven years earlier, drew the first science-fiction story in comic books (New Fun #1). This was yet another uninspired cover to "The Unique Magazine," and even in death, Lovecraft had to suffer the ignominy of losing the cover illustration to the far inferior hack Seabury Quinn. 

More on Gretta here: https://tellersofweirdtales.blogspot.com/2011/11/gretta-1904-1988.html

IMG_0663.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Sarg said:

The only cover for WT by Gretta (J. Clemens Gretter), who, seven years earlier, drew the first science-fiction story in comic books (New Fun #1). This was yet another uninspired cover to "The Unique Magazine," and even in death, Lovecraft had to suffer the ignominy of losing the cover illustration to the far inferior hack Seabury Quinn. 

More on Gretta here: https://tellersofweirdtales.blogspot.com/2011/11/gretta-1904-1988.html

IMG_0663.jpeg

It wasn't even an original cover.  (Found online, not my book:)

MMHtwin008-StarNovels1932Spr.jpg