• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

366 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Did Senf do covers for any other publications?

I don't think so.  I've never seen any.  He did 45 covers for Weird Tales, and also a lot of interior illustrations.  He lived in Chicago, so I suspect Wright could rely on him for timely delivery of the artwork.  Maybe he worked cheaply too?  Just speculating, but if he was reliable and cheap it explains why he was used for so long.

There is a fun story involving Senf:  

In 1931, Robert E. Howard created the fictional arcane tome "Nameless Cults by von Juntz" and mentioned it in his stories The Children of the Night and The Black Stone.  H.P. Lovecraft liked it and wanted to use it in his mythos stories, but wanted to give it a proper German name, since the book was supposed to be in German.  He asked August Derleth, who knew some German from living in German settled Sauk City, WI, and Derleth suggested Unaussprechlichen Kulten.  Soon after, E. Hoffmann Price, who had studied German at West Point, chimed in and suggested Unnenbarren Kulten was more correct.  Editor Farnsworth Wright knew a little German as well, and sided with Price. 

But then one day C.C. Senf stopped by the Weird Tales offices for a visit.  Knowing that Senf was a native German speaker having been born in Prussia, Wright asked his opinion and Senf immediately said Derleth was correct.  And ever since the book has been called Unaussprechlichen Kulten.

I have a.  soft spot for these because so many of them have RE Howard and HP Lovecraft stories... two of my favorite authors. Eric has been kind enough to point out some of the issues that contain first printings of their stories. I just ordered one of those.... not super rare but I was looking for a nice one that wasn't too unaffordable. It contains a story that Lovecraft never submitted because he felt it was sub standard. Ironically, it's one of my very favorites of his ... published posthumously. I'll share pics when it gets here. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

"The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" is a favorite of mine by HP Lovecraft. Lovecraft himself, did not care for it. It was one of his longer and more ambitious efforts, but from what I understand, he never submitted it during his lifetime. I believe this was it's first time in print in this issue of Weird Tales ... sporting a Hannes Bok cover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

aOnJbji.jpg