• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“THE SHADOW KNOWS”
2 2

96 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, detective35 said:

Even though it’s more radio, than pulp the piece below does pertain to “The Shadow”.

Just picked up a cornerstone piece for my Shadow collection!   I think I way, way overpaid for it, but for my collection, I had to have it!

A huge (7.5ft x 3ft) Shadow Blue Coal Radio Banner (circa. 1937).   The banner is made from a heavy nylon/canvas material!

- The 1937 episodes of The Shadow were Sponsored by Blue Coal.

Through research I believe that the banner would have been hung somewhere close to the stage (or behind the actors) in the WOR studios, where the live performances were carried out!

At this time, Orson Welles would’ve played the The Shadow on the radio during these live performances.

8F567821-468C-44BA-9454-7609D712069C.jpeg

It looks fantastic.  It’s hard to believe it’s over 80 years old.  Congratulations and thanks for sharing a photo.  I’ve noticed that it’s possible to buy recordings of the Orson Wells radio show and have been wanting to check them out for some time.  I should get off my butt and do that.

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

On 1/14/2021 at 2:03 PM, BB-Gun said:

2679033341_4e38823f9e_b.jpg

I have listened to Orson and later versions of the Shadow but didn't notice much difference.  Sometimes the quality of the recording isn't good.  Sometimes the plot is more mystical.  The deep voice of the Shadow was played well by several actors.

The radio shows were much better than the movies but Powell drew some great covers and ads for the comics.

2104223767_741ee62f05_b.jpg

So has anyone here actually read all (or most) of the 325 Shadow stories? I was wondering how the stories from the 1940s fared.

I'll confess it's been more than forty years since I've read a Shadow story, but I read most of the Pyramid paperbacks as a teenager, the Dover facsimile, as well as a couple of originals I picked up that weren't reprinted then. My young self enjoyed them, but was finding the story telling pretty formulaic after a dozen or so. I don't know how Gibson did it, cranking out two stories a month for a while, formulaic or not. 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, rjpb said:

So has anyone here actually read all (or most) of the 325 Shadow stories? I was wondering how the stories from the 1940s fared.

I'll confess it's been more than forty years since I've read a Shadow story, but I read most of the Pyramid paperbacks as a teenager, the Dover facsimile, as well as a couple of originals I picked up that weren't reprinted then. My young self enjoyed them, but was finding the story telling pretty formulaic after a dozen or so. I don't know how Gibson did it, cranking out two stories a month for a while, formulaic or not. 

I haven't read close to all of them, but I've probably read well over 100. They're not meant to be read in rapid succession, at best it's supposed to be a couple hours reading every two to three weeks.

I've got several of the later 40's stories by Bruce Elliot, not Gibson, because I'm looking for the John D. MacDonald stories in them.  People are absolutely right when they say they're not great as Shadow stories, but I think several of them are quite well done as 40's pulp.  They're actually so different from the Gibson stories they stand out well in comparison, I think.  Just don't expect classic Shadow material.

Mystery “The Shadow Knows.” Rubber stamp, 1930’s? I was going through some odds and ends to put on ebay, I always assumed this stamp was part of the Shadow radio club promotion, but I have not been able to find an example online to corroborate this.

The radio club stamp says ”The Shadow Club”. It is not part of any Shadow premium or merchandise sets based on the contents listed in period Shadow related advertising. Is this a real Shadow item?  Its not a 70's knock-off, so what is it? 

The care with which it was made, the condition of the wood and shape of the object itself always persuaded me that it was vintage.  Perhaps someone knows.   As far as I can remember I acquired this when I was buying pulps (mainly Shadows when I could find them and Burroughs pulps), Sunday sections and some ephemera as a small sideline to collecting Golden Age comic books in the 1970’s. As a kid I worked in a comic bookstore on weekends in Seattle’s Pike Place Market and I think I just bought a bunch of things and it was included with Pep and Tracy pins. I also don’t have a stamp pad, so sorry about the lousy impression.

Shadow stamp.jpg

IMG-0633.JPG

IMG-0629.JPG

IMG-0636.JPG

IMG-0644.JPG

Edited by GLD