• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified grading value question

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am very new to the world of comic book grading and selling (family member just passed away and the task of selling his silver age comics has fallen to me) and I had a question after getting the first few books back from CGC. I just got back an Amazing Spider-man #20 and I did not realize that it was missing a single page (not affecting story-line) so it got a qualified grade of 6.0. Green label and everything. In your experience, is there much of a market for green label books? If so, where would you recommend selling and how could I get an accurate idea of its FMV? Through some research I have been pointed in the direction of selling graded books on Comic Link. I have yet to sell anything on there but in scanning the exchange sections I did not see any green label, qualified graded books. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

p.s. The batch of comics I have stumbled into contain most of x-men 1-42 and ASM 3-84

On 7/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, mchlmhny said:

Hey guys, I am very new to the world of comic book grading and selling (family member just passed away and the task of selling his silver age comics has fallen to me) and I had a question after getting the first few books back from CGC. I just got back an Amazing Spider-man #20 and I did not realize that it was missing a single page (not affecting story-line) so it got a qualified grade of 6.0. Green label and everything. In your experience, is there much of a market for green label books? If so, where would you recommend selling and how could I get an accurate idea of its FMV? Through some research I have been pointed in the direction of selling graded books on Comic Link. I have yet to sell anything on there but in scanning the exchange sections I did not see any green label, qualified graded books. 

Thanks

p.s. The batch of comics I have stumbled into contain most of x-men 1-42 and ASM 3-84

What other books did you get graded ?

There are a lot of SA Marvels that have pinups, many a teenage boy hung them evidently.

18 hours ago, shadroch said:

What other books did you get graded ?

There are a lot of SA Marvels that have pinups, many a teenage boy hung them evidently.

So far I have only sent in ASM 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 20. Since the process is new to me I wanted to start with small batch. I had 5, 7, 8, 9 pressed first and have not received them back yet. 

So you're saying that there is a decent chance that more of these books have had a page ripped out? 😐

41 minutes ago, mchlmhny said:

So far I have only sent in ASM 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 20. Since the process is new to me I wanted to start with small batch. I had 5, 7, 8, 9 pressed first and have not received them back yet. 

So you're saying that there is a decent chance that more of these books have had a page ripped out? 😐

mycomicshop.com lists the contents of every book and will tell you which ones have pinups. If these were all books bought off the newstand and he took one pinup out, chances are he took more.  Sadly, those pinups can end up costing a fortune

On 7/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, mchlmhny said:

Thanks

If you just want to sell, then you are going about it the right way with getting those key books CGC'd and selling on ComicLink. It's the only place I ever sold though and I had 0 problems. You can also check out Mycomicshop, I know people who swear by them and that's a great place to unload the books that you won't get CGC'd. They'll grade it for you and put it on auction, so it comes out to the same thing and you don't have to waste any money getting them graded.

Now to answer some other questions:

You can get a sense of the fair market value by looking on e-bay and searching for the same books you have and selecting "sold listings" as a filter. Like that you'll see what it sold for. Also take a look at the condition, you could match that with yours to get a sense of what your stuff is worth, at least to get a sense of which comics are more valuable. For instance, you'll see that X-Men 12 sells in the multiple hundreds for most grades but that Amazing Spider-man 22 does not. So right there, you can get an idea of what is worth sending to CGC and, more importantly for you, what is still ok to send if you risk it coming back a green label.

There is a market for green label, it's perfect for people who want to own the comic but can't afford a good looking one. What the green label give to a collector is a nice looking copy (like your Spider-man 20) that doesn't cost as much as one in a blue label. Very important though, that market only exists if a non green label is very very expensive. If not, then people can afford to ignore the green label. You know what i mean right? If a CGC book with a blue label sells for $30, one with a green label is worthless (for the most part, there are exceptions if your book is signed by a comic book legend). There's always a market for cheaper key comic books and you can figure those out with the price they sell at, and you can figure that out with e-bay.