• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astounding
1 1

47 posts in this topic

@OtherEric we have similar tastes! The Recruiting Station issue with the 3 Laws of Robotics is a tough find, that one took me a while...and my copy is pretty poor. Do you happen to have the Deadline issue (March 1944)? Cool backstory on that one.

The H.P. Lovecraft issues are very cool as well. I have to admit I've never actually read Lovecraft, any suggestions for first stories to dive into?

2071993411_Astounding-March1942-3LawsofRobotics_take2.thumb.jpg.e5cd210686e80f50b3ea75bbe390480a.jpg

Few other pulps (digests + bedsheets technically) from the Foundation series:

2141296076_Astounding-August1944-AsimovFoundation3.thumb.jpeg.56ee7243d25027d1ea9f96344d815c78.jpeg995108076_Astounding-November1945-AsimovFoundation6.thumb.jpeg.86376d6e1c051dadb77f0a4924f68fc9.jpeg

Astounding - June 1942 - Asimov Foundation #2_take2.jpg

Edited by asimovpulps

1 minute ago, asimovpulps said:

@OtherEric we have similar tastes! The Recruiting Station issue with the 3 Laws of Robotics is a tough find, that one took me a while...and my copy is pretty poor. Do you happen to have the Deadline issue (March 1944)? Cool backstory on that one.

The H.P. Lovecraft issues are very cool as well. I have to admit I've never actually read Lovecraft, any suggestions for first stories to dive into?

Few other pulps (digests technically) from the Foundation series:

Astounding - June 1942 - Asimov Foundation #2_take2.jpg

Well, the last one is actually a bedsheet... and one I badly need.

I do not have the Deadline issue.  It's high on my want list, but just in general I want to put together a complete run of the Campbell edited Astounding/ Analog run.  With that said, it does stand out on my want list because of its historical significance. 

You could do far worse with Lovecraft than to start with The Shadow Out of Time, I think.  I do need to insert my standard disclaimer that, while he's one of my favorite writers, I do fully recognize he's a problematic favorite.  The Shadow Out of Time is my favorite of his stories, I remain very happy that that was the first Lovecraft story I got the original publication of.  I'm sure others would have good suggestions on where to start with Lovecraft.  The one I would warn you away from is Herbert West: Reanimator, which some people unfamiliar with his work track down because they like the movies.  It's actually one of his worst written stories by general consensus.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, OtherEric said:

Well, the last one is actually a bedsheet... and one I badly need.

I do not have the Deadline issue.  It's high on my want list, but just in general I want to put together a complete run of the Campbell edited Astounding/ Analog run.  With that said, it does stand out on my want list because of its historical significance. 

You could do far worse with Lovecraft than to start with The Shadow Out of Time, I think.  I do need to insert my standard disclaimer that, while he's one of my favorite writers, I do fully recognize he's a problematic favorite.  The Shadow Out of Time is my favorite of his stories, I remain very happy that that was the first Lovecraft story I got the original publication of.  I'm sure others would have good suggestions on where to start with Lovecraft.  The one I would warn you away from is Herbert West: Reanimator, which some people unfamiliar with his work track down because they like the movies.  It's actually one of his worst written stories by general consensus.

Ha yes you're right, I actually didn't realize I'd included that last image but glad I did (and corrected original post).

I know of one or two of the June 1942 issues floating around depending on your price range (that issue seems to be generally over priced unfortunately...), and surprisingly a complete run of the Campbell edited Astounding issues for sale as well - feel free to shoot me a message and I can share links to both.

Edited by asimovpulps

9 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Have no idea of significance I am ashamed to admit, I did not post mine since that issue had already been posted but what the heck -

AstoundingMarch1942.jpg.fe82c6f0f25350192d66a1c5a4e9cdc4.jpg

Glad you did - that's a nice copy!

Here's some info on the Three Laws of Robotics - it's the backbone of Isaac Asimov's I, Robot series and shows up in some other sci fi stories/media as well (apparently in Alien, which I didn't realize): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics. There's even a Zeroth law, though that was added later...

First Law
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law