• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Standard-bearer characters of the next gen

28 posts in this topic

As long as comics are still around the iconic characters will always rule. These characters are the history of comics. History cannot be changed as much as some people think it can. 

Marvel: Spider-Man, Wolverine, Cap, Hulk and the main teams (FF, X-men, Avengers).

DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash. 

This is of course only my opinion. I hope a couple completely new and awesome characters get created that are not just rip offs of the original. 

Was very confused by this thread until I realized that I was misreading "chars" as "chairs". 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Was very confused by this thread until I realized that I was misreading "chars" as "chairs". 

Yup. When I read ‘char’ and ‘standard bearer’, at first glance the only choice I could think of, for its electric eco-friendliness and great design, was the Tesla Model 3.

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Miles = Spider-man rip off

Spider-Gwen = Spider-man/Spider Woman rip off

X-23 = Wolverine rip off

As far as 'Standard Bearers' go, those are pretty lackluster.   What have we had that has really excited anybody the last 30 years?  For every Spawn, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, there have been dozens if not hundreds of misses imho.    

I dig a good debate.

But "lackluster" here is pretty subjective.  In terms of volume moved in books and film revenue (and PS5 gaming soon in the case of Miles), the three have punched above their weight, I'd say, without the decades of lore-building the established characters have enjoyed.  And this looks to be only the beginning...

Standing on the shoulders of giants, no doubt.  But wouldn't underestimate the fandom (compared to the thousands of cast-aside dreg characters).  That mistake has been made over and over again by hobby outsiders over the years.

Edited by exitmusicblue

30 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Char-broiled burgers, yumm

Fair point.  Although I wonder what the standard bearer for the future would be, due to the increasing popularity of the vegetarian option?

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Fair point.  Although I wonder what the standard bearer for the future would be, due to the increasing popularity of the vegetarian option?

Just don't gimme those imaginary better than burger not actually burgers of the great beyond... shudder...

Same as everyone else. 3 new spiderman and Khan. Some think Chavez can do something. Is there anything left to do that is original? What powers havnt been used? Even 1940s comics aren't original. Read gladiator and it heavily inspired superman. Mythology is pretty much super heroes. But last 30 years it's pretty much take a super heroes and change their race gender color or give them a kid. Going forward it will be LGBT. 

It's a marvel world though. I think DC Gave up on making new characters 70 years ago. Maybe 40, they did try to give us booster gold. MCU can make anyone a hit so any marvel character no matter how obscure or lame can be a star. Just make a black wolverine and people will pay $50 for it on eBay for sure. Will sell 200k copies at a minimum. That is the next big character. Already have it wrote. Young black mutant with healing abilities is wrongly arrested. Looking at life in prison unless he volunteers for weapon x program. Bam new wolverine. 

4 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

I dig a good debate.

But "lackluster" here is pretty subjective.  In terms of volume moved in books and film revenue (and PS5 gaming soon in the case of Miles), the three have punched above their weight, I'd say, without the decades of lore-building the established characters have enjoyed.  And this looks to be only the beginning...

Standing on the shoulders of giants, no doubt.  But wouldn't underestimate the fandom (compared to the thousands of cast-aside dreg characters).  That mistake has been made over and over again by hobby outsiders over the years.

Punched their weight mainly by speculators who can't afford an AF15 or IH181 I guess.    There is nothing new to these characters other than a race or gender change.  I mean Jane Foster Thor, RiRi IronHeart, Cho Hulk, at least the lame Squirrel Girl is kind of unique.