• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All New Comics #8 vs Terrific #5

64 posts in this topic

So i just saw a copy of Terrific #5 in a CGC 1.0 (good eye appeal) sell on Heritage for $3600 and it made me think WOW!! I love both Books and many consider them to be the poor man’s Suspense 3 although if you are poor you probably can’t afford either 😂.

Lets compare them both and discuss. I absolutely love hearing from our Golden Age communities here on the boards

The All-New came out 5 months earlier in 5/44 vs the Terrific in 9/44 so Harvey beat them to the punch on this one.

CGC census wise 

— All-New Comics #8    (19 total copies)

— Terrific Comics #5     (right at twice as many with 38 copies but that’s still not a lot)

There are simply too many cool things on each but for starters both have awesome logos. Both have not 1 but 2 hooded villains but I prefer them on the Terrific they pop out more ala the one MMC28. The All-New has the sword wielding villain about to plunge our damsel like Suspese 3 but that wheel of Doom on Terrific is well...Terrific!! Both share a similar vantage point. The All-New has multiple discernible Nazis with one being plunged by our Boy Hero but I don’t see any labeled specifically on the Terrific. What is on the hand of that masked villain on the All-New is that Some type of futuristic at the time metal pincher claw? Whatever it is it’s awesome. The Terrific is a little less Schomburg busy which some may prefer and everyone loves a Yellow GA cover. I prefer the splashes on the insides to the All-New but that’s personal preference and let’s stick to just the covers here. 

What do y’all think?!! Look at them very closely then again from a distance and repeat several times.

The Terrific seems to be more valuable in the open market even though it doesn’t seem as rare and comes up more frequently for sale. I want them both in my collection but only own 1 at the moment although both will be in my collection someday no doubt

drum roll please....no surprise probably to most who know me the All-New #8 takes it for me as my bias for Red, White, and Blue clad heroes runs deep. The Terrific has almost a GGA feel to it with the female seemingly the main focal point vs the All-New where our hero is.  

Again which would you pick all things considered if you could only have 1?!!!

583477BD-BB49-434B-919E-729873076CC7.jpeg

CF54F8AD-6F6A-4011-B016-C3FF98127615.jpeg

Edited by gino2paulus2

50 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

You can't go wrong with either. Classic covers. 

I also prefer All New 8.  

For me,  it's because the hero is swooping in to save the day in a very dramatic way (despite being shot in the crotch?)

That guy Alex could really draw a cover. 

I love that about it too!! Our hero’s name is the Red Blazer and his sidekick Sparkie. Red Blazer was affected by Astro-Pyro radiation (there was an aliens and a doctor involved haha!! This gave him the ability to fly and control heat and flames. Nowhere did I see he could take 2 bullets to the junk 😲. Interestingly while he and his sidekick often appeared on the covers they were mostly relogated to text stories within the books. All-New 8 does have this sweet splash that can’t be viewed on the likes of comicbookplus as this issue is mysteriously missing from their run!! The Boy Heroes had some Sweeeeet splashes including my favorite from issue #10 that I still regret not bidding harder on when CC brought it to auction. It came the the Jon Berk collection and is absolutely phenomenal!! Check it out if you can. 

2D872B29-2DF4-481B-8921-442EC45644EA.jpeg

While we are sharing here is my All New 8!! Keep them coming remember there is NO wrong answer these are both sweeeeet books!! So hard to pick!! If anyone has a copy of Terrific 5 (that @G.A.tor doesn’t own obviously since he’s cornered the market 😊) or All-New 8 let’s see em and let the debates continue!! 

58802184-7009-4EB2-8984-2FFDB37F4124.jpeg

49 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I love that about it too!! Our hero’s name is the Red Blazer and his sidekick Sparkie. Red Blazer was affected by Astro-Pyro radiation (there was an aliens and a doctor involved haha!! This gave him the ability to fly and control heat and flames. Nowhere did I see he could take 2 bullets to the junk 😲. Interestingly while he and his sidekick often appeared on the covers they were mostly relogated to text stories within the books. All-New 8 does have this sweet splash that can’t be viewed on the likes of comicbookplus as this issue is mysteriously missing from their run!! The Boy Heroes had some Sweeeeet splashes including my favorite from issue #10 that I still regret not bidding harder on when CC brought it to auction. It came the the Jon Berk collection and is absolutely phenomenal!! Check it out if you can. 

2D872B29-2DF4-481B-8921-442EC45644EA.jpeg

I seriously appreciate the back story and your enthusiasm! 

That is a killer splash page!  Is that the splash for #8? Or #10? 

50 minutes ago, comicjack said:

He does that quite often lol

Oh yeah. I've drooled over his sales threads before!  

The bulk is impressive,  but the quality is more impressive.  The books always seem to present beautifully for the grade.

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I seriously appreciate the back story and your enthusiasm! 

That is a killer splash page!  Is that the splash for #8? Or #10? 

That Hitler fortune teller skull ball is the first page in All-New Comics #8 making the book that much more appealing if you ask me. This is the splash from #10 that I referenced that is also cool imo and the OA came to auction a few years ago and I missed it bc i was too focused on one book that ended up losing anyways (Doh!!!) 

DE186FBA-3C96-4475-93F1-05D63DD2CE89.jpeg

Man, two classic Schomburgs! Kind of like picking your favorite child. I have a decent All New 8 but have never owned a Terrific 5. I give a slight nod to the Terrific 5. Maybe it’s the color or slightly less busy than the All New 8. Just pops out at me more. Would love to get one one day.

Now, to me, neither compare to Suspense #3. I hate the word “grail”, but that is mine. I doubt I will ever get that one, but that is what makes it a “grail” I guess...

I'd go with Terrific #5 for the following reasons (based on cover):

1. Better visual appeal. Your eyes are drawn to the damsel in distress, then the torture wheel and finally, the background and all that is happening. With the All New Comics #8, your eyes are drawn to the hero first and then it takes some time to dig through the background and other images, which are very busy. It is still great but not as great for me personally. The foreground, midground and background on Terrific Comics #8 is just perfect to me, whereas All New #8 is a lot and quite messy. 

2. Colours. Red and yellow work so well together. It has a dark and mysterious aura to it. With All New Comics #8, the white and multitude of bright colours gives the sense that good fun things should be happening but the opposite is true. It just doesn't work for me artistically as strongly.

Personally I prefer the All New #8, but if you're talking about a poor man's version of Suspense #3 it would be Terrific #5.  The All New #8 is just one of many costumed heroes by Schomburg taking on hooded/Nazi villains.  The Terrific #5 is much more like Suspense #3 to me.

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Interestingly while he and his sidekick often appeared on the covers they were mostly relegated to text stories within the books. 

Mostly?  My understanding is Red Blazer ONLY appeared in the text stories and on the covers.

EDIT:  Just found out maybe he was in non-text stories in Pocket Comics.  Learn something new every day.

Edited by thunsicker