• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All New Comics #8 vs Terrific #5

68 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, The-Collector said:

When I was contemplating buying the AN8 I showed side-by-side shots of AN8 vs T5 to three friends who don't know anything about comics and did not tell them which one I was considering.

The right choice would have been for you to have taken both books, instead of only taking one.  :gossip:

Needless to say though, I've made the same non-buying mistakes myself so many times before in the past.  doh!

8 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I think the HA sale sets a new level for low grade Terrific 5s. So while T5 is worth more it might just be that we haven't had a recent AN8 sale. The most recent 4.0 sale in GPA was a buy it now on ebay so the true value could be a bit higher. 

I only own the AN8 but I would give the edge to T5. When I was contemplating buying the AN8 I showed side-by-side shots of AN8 vs T5 to three friends who don't know anything about comics and did not tell them which one I was considering. They all preferred the AN8. 

All New Comics 8 CGC 3.5 FC copy.png

3 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying AN8 should be worth more than T5 just that T5 seems to have increased a bit recently but we haven't had any sales of AN8 in that same time period. So it is likely the case that All New 8 has also increased. 

This could be very true and time will tell!! Great copy!! 

So do we count T5 for 1 vote here and AN8 for 3 hehehe!! 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I showed my AN 8 to my wife when I got it and she said “that’s nice dear”...:roflmao:

that’s actually hilarious bc it hits home so much!! My lovely wife supports me so much when it comes to my comics but I have yet to see her eyes light up when she sees something that i would drool over haha!! I try to get her excited but the most I usually get is, “wow that’s cool babe” but i can’t tell if she’s being sarcastic or not 😂

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

My vote. 

image.jpg

what a TERRIFIC copy this would fit very well into my collection here!! This presents even nicer than the copy that sold the other night so you got yourself a pricey book there based on that sale!!! NICE!!

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The right choice would have been for you to have taken both books, instead of only taking one.  :gossip:

Needless to say though, I've made the same non-buying mistakes myself so many times before in the past.  doh!

I think most of all of us Gold collectors could be in that club!! part of it that makes it fun for me is I have to face the fact I can’t really afford it all (at least at once) so I have to make important choices and weigh options at any given time!! Feed my children or buy a sweeeeet book hehehehe JK!! 

4 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

that’s actually hilarious bc it hits home so much!! My lovely wife supports me so much when it comes to my comics but I have yet to see her eyes light up when she sees something that i would drool over haha!! I try to get her excited but the most I usually get is, “wow that’s cool babe” but i can’t tell if she’s being sarcastic or not 😂

She’s being sarcastic Gino...:baiting:

1 minute ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I think most of all of us Gold collectors could be in that club!! part of it that makes it fun for me is I have to face the fact I can’t really afford it all (at least at once) so I have to make important choices and weigh options at any given time!! Feed my children or buy a sweeeeet book hehehehe JK!! 

WAY back when, I DID sell comics to feed my children. Good investment though! 

4 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

If the run this one has been the highest on my want list for some time!! Man your collection Rocks neverending coolness!!

Thanks Gino. It is a benefit of being older I guess. Back in the day when I started, everybody wanted GA Batman, Superman and Timelys. I loved Timelys and Schomburg but even then, a lot were out of my price range. I then discovered Nedor and a lot of the “off brand” publishers. They were available at a tiny fraction of the cost of a Timely. I did the same with PCH. An EC was $3-5 and titles like Weird Mysteries, Mysterious Adventures and Mr Mystery were 25 cents to a buck! I bought as many as I could and hung on to them! 

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

titles like Weird Mysteries, Mysterious Adventures and Mr Mystery were 25 cents to a buck! I bought as many as I could and hung on to them! 

:headbang:

I don't own either, and I probably never will, but if I had to choose...

TERRIFIC #5.

I think it's more colorful and also a better composition. Both covers have a lot going on, but it's better organized on Terrific #5. All New #8 is just too busy.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, Junkdrawer said:

I’d take both.

15 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

ALL NEW #8 vs TERRIFIC #5 is Schomburg vs Schomburg.  That's an unfair fight from the get-go, ...almost like SHADOW boxing between the Rozen brothers.  :wink:

Kind of getting to my point in that they are BOTH awesome and while many have a personal preference when it comes down it it most would probably prefer both as its kind of an unfair fight right off the bat. That is why I am curious as to why one sells for $10.5K in a 5.0 and recently $3600 in a 1.0 while the other older more rare of both books only gets to 2K in a 4.0 hm 

I imagine Schomburg handed these in in B&W and someone else colored them.  Did he want all the masked and robed to be klansmen and some hack decided to make them green?

I would think that representing klansmen as bad guys wasn't a great business decision in the South. This was only about twenty years from the Klans height of popularity in the mid-1920s.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, shadroch said:

I imagine Schomburg handed these in in B&W and someone else colored them.  Did he want all the masked and robed to be klansmen and some hack decided to make them green?

I would think that representing klansmen as bad guys wasn't a great business decision in the South. This was only about twenty years from the Klans height of popularity in the mid-1920s.

The color choices are an interesting and rarely discussed aspect of GA art.  My suspicion is that many/most decisions were made outside of the artist’s input, probably from the art director, general manager or perhaps the publisher.  

For instance, the depiction of asians is all over the map.  There is often a “yellow peril”(sic) approach to how those of eastern heritage were portrayed regardless of their actual nationality or perceived side in the war, but it's inconsistent.  Dependent on the publisher those of Pacific or asian ancestry were depicted as yellow, orange, red or so-called "flesh" (caucasian) tones.  

OTOH, klan costumes which were often just white sheets with eye-slits in pointed hoods were given a more vibrant array of hues in many GA comics, probably to provide a stark contrast to background scenes.  These chroma choices may or may not have had direct artist involvement and also varied from publisher to publisher.

Edited by Cat-Man_America