• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Fanzines, SOTI, POP, L&D, Archie grails, and True Crime - SOME PRICES SLASHED 7/18! See p. 3
9 9

65 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I hope you and yours are able to stay safe and healthy during these trying times.

Welcome to my thread.  I'll list things over the next few nights as time permits.  

Payment via PayPal goods & services.  Local pickup in the Springfield, MA area can be arranged.  

Payment is expected within 7 days of invoicing.  After 7 days, I may relist an item if I haven't heard from you.

Returns for any reason welcome within 14 days.  If the return is due to my error, I pay return shipping; otherwise, you pay return shipping. 

These items come from a smoke-free and, to the best of our knowledge, COVID-free house.

No probationites or shameful ones.  

I'm happy to combine shipping when I can, so buy as many items as you like!

I am limiting my shipping to once a week during COVID.  If you're in a rush, let me know in advance and I'll let you know what I can accommodate.

PM's are welcome, but "take it" in thread beats everything else. Please understand that this applies to everybody equally.  If you send me a PM, I'll get to it eventually but probably not while I'm in the middle of posting books.

My top priority is my family and my second priority is my full-time job.  After that, it's comics.  So please understand if I don't reply to your inquiries immediately.  I try to make sure that I check in at least once every 24 hours while I have a sales thread going.

All books are unpressed and unrestored unless noted.  I used to be able to say "I have never pressed a book or bought a book I knew to be pressed", but right now I have some books in Sarasota being squished.  But suffice it to say that if I know that a book is pressed, I will disclose it.

Prices listed are for US shipping.  If you're outside the US, just contact me and I'll find out how much shipping will be.

Here's my feedback thread.

Recap as of 7/15:

Page 1
Ladies Home Journal preview of Seduction of the Innocent.  $40 plus $10 shipping
Comic World #19 $20 plus $5 shipping  SOLD NerV
Comic World #21 $20 plus $5 shipping SOLD NerV
Endeavor #10 $20 plus $5 shipping
Captain George's Whizzbang #17 $12 plus $5 shipping
Cosmic Sorcery #1 $25 plus $5 shipping SOLD NerV
Archie #139 $5 plus $5 shipping  SOLD PeterPark
Page 2 
Adventure Comics #82 $25 shipped
Strange Terrors #6 cracked CGC 5.0 $500 shipped
Seduction of the Innocent first print, second state, with dust jacket. $275 shipped. SOLD GoldenAgeAddict
Your Child and Radio, TV, Comics and Movies $35 plus $5 shipping
Picture Post May 17, 1952 $65 plus $5 shipping
Parade of Pleasure, US edition, $255 shipped
Phantom Lady #20 $650 shipped
True Crime #3 $295 shipped SOLD MiamiKnight3434
Famous First Editions hardcovers.  $10 each or all three for 20, plus $8 shipping.
Mighty Midget Comics five for $68 plus $5 shipping
Page 3
Parade of Pleasure, UK edition, $595 shipped  SOLD snitzer
Seduction of the Innocent, first print, first state, with dust jacket $795 shipped.

Archie 50 & 53 $200 shipped.
Betty & Veronica 40 $200 shipped
Love & Death $50 plus $5 shipping
True Crime #5 $25 shipped
True Crime #2 $495 shipped
True Crime #3 $595 shipped

Inside Crime nn CGC 8.5 $225 shipped

Edited by SOTIcollector
Added recap

Up first, a low grade Ladies' Home Journal from November, 1953.  "What Parents Don't Know About Comic Books" was a preview of Dr. Wertham's "Seduction of the Innocent."  Most of the text was printed verbatim in SOTI when it was published a few months later (April, 1954).  However, some of the photos and panels reproduced for this article never made it to the final cut of SOTI.

This magazine had widespread exposure, and woke up parents to the "fact" that comic books were rotting their kids' brains.  

Front cover detached, but the article is fully intact and is a fascinating read.  A great companion to that copy of SOTI you bought from me in one of my prior threads... :)

I love the way the article state that comic books are dangerous for kids, and yet it includes a posed photo of a girl reading a comic book, while Haunt of Fear #19 sits in her lap.  Another photo shows a kid reading Justice Traps the Guilty.  Really?  What if they had presented an article indicating that drugs are dangerous for kids, and then gave a child some coke to snort so they could photograph it for the magazine?

$40, plus $10 for US shipping.  This puppy is large and on glossy paper, so it's heavy.

IMG_E6405.JPG

IMG_E6406.JPG

IMG_E6407.JPG

Edited by SOTIcollector
Clarified that shipping price is for US shipping.

Comic World #19.  Fanzine from October, 1978.   Green Arrow article.  Reviews of other fanzines of the day, including Afta #2, one of my favorite fanzines in the universe.

I love the blurb about the 1978 Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide that calls it the classic "injury to the bankbook" issue.

$20 plus $5 shipping in the US.

IMG_E6412.JPG

IMG_E6413.JPG

IMG_E6414.JPG

IMG_E6415.JPG

IMG_E6416.JPG

IMG_E6417.JPG

39 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

Comic World #19.  Fanzine from October, 1978.   Green Arrow article.  Reviews of other fanzines of the day, including Afta #2, one of my favorite fanzines in the universe.

I love the blurb about the 1978 Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide that calls it the classic "injury to the bankbook" issue.

IMG_E6412.JPG

IMG_E6413.JPG

IMG_E6414.JPG

IMG_E6415.JPG

IMG_E6416.JPG

IMG_E6417.JPG

Take. Any more fanzines?

8 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Take. Any more fanzines?

Good take! Because I was about to go for this one as it has the articles I want to read. 😭😎

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Good take! Because I was about to go for this one as it has the articles I want to read. 😭😎

Yes the irony was in the 1970’s people thinking Price Guide prices were to high and ridiculous to pay them vs today that most Price Guide prices for HG or key books is far, far below market values. Many would kill today to get something at guide...

Cosmic Sorcery #1

Really cool zine with Neal Adams, Dave Cockrum (mis-attributed as R. Cochrum), Jeff Jones, Howard Chaykin, Ken Landgraf, George Perez, Gil Kane and more.  Rich Buckler cover.  Is it my imagination, or does that Black Scarab look like Mick Jagger?

$25 + $5 shipping

IMG_E6419.JPG

IMG_E6421a.jpg

IMG_E6422.JPG

IMG_E6427.JPG

IMG_E6430.JPG

IMG_E6432.JPG

IMG_E6435.JPG

9 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

IMG_E6412.JPG

IMG_E6416.JPG

This looks so familiar so I either still have it or had it once. AFTA was the craziest 'zine of its day and Bill Dale Marcinko was indeed in possession of a deseased (sic) and disoriented mind. I should know I met him at a meeting of the Central Jersey Comics Collectors one evening long ago. He walked in wearing a tee-shirt that said, "Eat S**T and Die!" Heady stuff for me and my buddy who were in high school. Anyway the issues of AFTA he put out were raucous and amazing in scope. If you can find one buy it. He came to a bitter end.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

29 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This looks so familiar so I either still have it or had it once. AFTA was the craziest 'zine of its day and Bill Dale Marcinko was indeed in possession of a deseased (sic) and disoriented mind. I should know I met him at a meeting of the Central Jersey Comics Collectors one evening long ago. He walked in wearing a tee-shirt that said, "Eat S**T and Die!" Heady stuff for me and my buddy who were in high school. Anyway the issues of AFTA he put out were raucous and amazing in scope. If you can find one buy it. He came to a bitter end.

Thanks for posting this.  I had no idea what became of him, so I had to Google him after reading your post.

It was the raisin in AFTA #2 that caught my attention, back when I really had no clue what a fanzine was.  It was the irreverent humor that really made me a fan of AFTA.  Many years after, I found issue #1 and #3, but to this day my #2 is only half complete.  The part with the raisin taped into it vanished many years ago, I believe swiped by the same "friend" who made off with my FF #5.

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

Cosmic Sorcery #1

Really cool zine with Neal Adams, Dave Cockrum (mis-attributed as R. Cochrum), Jeff Jones, Howard Chaykin, Ken Landgraf, George Perez, Gil Kane and more.  Rich Buckler cover.  Is it my imagination, or does that Black Scarab look like Mick Jagger?

$25 + $5 shipping

IMG_E6419.JPG

IMG_E6421a.jpg

IMG_E6422.JPG

IMG_E6427.JPG

IMG_E6430.JPG

IMG_E6432.JPG

IMG_E6435.JPG

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

And another Comic World.  This one's ish #21.  

Same price:  $20 plus $5 US shipping.

IMG_E6441.JPG

IMG_E6442.JPG

IMG_E6443.JPG

IMG_E6444.JPG

IMG_E6445.JPG

IMG_E6446.JPG

Take both