• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's travel to the PLANET STORIES Universe
1 1

107 posts in this topic

I have a question about planet stories #1.  I picked up one in an auction recently, and when I got it, it feels off.  The cover looks like it was separated and then reattached with glue.  When I open the book, the cover only opens about 1/2 an inch from the spine, and feels crackley like I'm separating dried glue.  I checked several other planets I have (albiet not from 1940), and you can open the cover far enough to see staples.  The auction listed the book as VG, and didnt notate any damage like a detached and then reglued cover.  Looking at my copy of Bookerys pulp guide, a pulp can get up to good with a detached and reglued cover, which is close to VG, but if the cover was detached and reglued, I feel like that should have been disclosed.  Anyone able to weigh in on this? 

20210103_234112.jpg

20210103_234052.jpg

20210104_022210.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

6 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I have a question about planet stories #1.  I picked up one in an auction recently, and when I got it, it feels off.  The cover looks like it was separated and then reattached with glue.  When I open the book, the cover only opens about 1/2 an inch from the spine, and feels crackley like I'm separating dried glue.  I checked several other planets I have (albiet not from 1940), and you can open the cover far enough to see staples.  The auction listed the book as VG, and didnt notate any damage like a detached and then reglued cover.  Looking at my copy of Bookerys pulp guide, a pulp can get up to good with a detached and reglued cover, which is close to VG, but if the cover was detached and reglued, I feel like that should have been disclosed.  Anyone able to weigh in on this? 

20210103_234052.jpg

In this picture it looks like the front cover was completely detached from the rest of the book and then glued back on.  That's why the cover won't open all the way.  A thin line of glue was run down the edge to re-attach it. 

Usually re-gluing refers to gluing the complete wrap (front cover, spine, back cover) back to the interior of the book.  In that case, the glue is applied to the inside of the spine.

Your case is much more severe.  The cover had been torn from the spine, and then reattached.  In my opinion this is not a VG at all, but a restored Fair to Good minus.

14 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I like the stories and the covers.

2236224153_fb1a3f0081_b.jpg

A quick look at issue 12 (above) and 4 reveals a cover attached at the end with free access to the staples.  My copy of issue 1 is the same but the cover is missing..