• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Man of Bronze
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I suspect most of the hero pulps can fit in one generic topic... But Kent Allard and Doc Savage both deserve their own.  Since Kent Allard already has his own thread, I figured I would provide one for Doctor Clark Savage, Jr.

Most of my issues are near the end of the run, for better or worse:

Doc_Savage_1939_02.jpg

Doc_Savage_1947_01.jpg

Doc_Savage_1947_04.jpg

Doc_Savage_1947_10.jpg

I was looking for a Doc Savage thread yesterday and here it shows up top of the page today!

I took out a Kindle library loan of the book "A history of Doc Savage Adventures" which has a short summary of every pulp story. Pretty interesting; so I wanted to look at a few more covers. I may also want to check out the mid seventies movie now that I know more about the character. Poor Doc seems destined to second banana status behind his Street and Smith friend the Shadow!

On 12/28/2021 at 10:59 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Poor Doc seems destined to second banana status behind his Street and Smith friend the Shadow!

I think it comes and it goes.  Unlike the Shadow, Doc managed to have his paperback run last over 25 years, reprinting all the pulp stories and adding several new ones.  The Shadow was much more intermittent on reprints until the most recent series. 

The Shadow has the better catch phrases, though.

I think this is their second team-up:

Shadow and Doc Savage 1.jpg

Shadow and Doc Savage 2.jpg

On 12/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

One thing I didn't realize or had forgotten was the Shadow started on the radio then went to the pulps whereas Doc was a pure pulp creation.

Sort of. The Shadow started out as a host/narrator of adapted detective stories on a radio show called Detective Story Hour, but wasn't a character in them, and his persona and image wasn't really defined until the pulp series. The Shadow radio series that everyone remembers (and that introduced Margo Lane) didn't come about until several years after the pulp title started.