• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fatale Original Art by Sean Phillips

15 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've always felt this was an incredibly under appreciated series and many of the covers are pretty iconic for modern comics.  After looking at for a couple of years, I finally took the plunge on this piece and I'm so glad I did.  It's pretty amazing in hand.

The published cover-

fatale12-web.jpg.0249ef6bf8c6a47da7b6aa99113d8255.jpg

And the original art (now mine)-

969570751_Fatale12_Cover.thumb.jpg.e019b4e7c6690be8f801c0859ae0b4e3.jpg

IMG_4948.thumb.JPG.55ca37a6c87ad5a6d73a81b8e714c10d.JPG

I'd love to see any other pieces board members may have.  Feel free to post them!

Wow that’s an excellent grab Randal.

6 hours ago, Noob19 said:

Looks like a beauty. Not familiar with the series...

Thanks!  I highly recommend reading it.  It's a fusion of Lovecraftian horror with classic Film Noir and really well written by Brubaker.  (thumbsu

With the Netflix series Stranger Things, it seems people are starting to get more of an appetite for Lovecraft's work, something I've always been a fan of since I first read the Call of Cthulhu as a teenager.  Hard to believe we're coming up on a century since he wrote that...

10 hours ago, theflashunc said:

It's my least favorite Brubaker/Phillips collab, but not for Sean's art on the book. The Lovecraftian stuff just did not click for me at all. Much preferred the subsequent series The Fade Out.

Thanks for the rec!  I was just looking at The Fade Out and thinking about picking it up.  Now I will!  (thumbsu

On 7/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Thanks for the rec!  I was just looking at The Fade Out and thinking about picking it up.  Now I will!  (thumbsu

I agree on The Fade Out.  I think it is the best film noir plot and story in any medium.  I hope they will make a HBO series or something similar just so people could be exposed to it.

10 hours ago, Peter L said:

I agree on The Fade Out.  I think it is the best film noir plot and story in any medium.  

I wouldn't go that far, but, I did enjoy it very much.  I enjoy almost everything by Brubaker, but, I have yet to make it all the way through Fatale...Lovecraftian horror is not really my bag.  I do own the complete run of TPBs, though, and will get through it all at some point. 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, delekkerste said:

I wouldn't go that far, but, I did enjoy it very much.  I enjoy almost everything by Brubaker, but, I have yet to make it all the way through Fatale...Lovecraftian horror is not really my bag.  I do own the complete run of TPBs, though, and will get through it all at some point. 

I am always looking for a good film noir or neo-noir.  If you know of some better than please let me know.  I think it is better than Chinatown, The Third Man, and Nightmare Alley.

13 hours ago, Peter L said:

I am always looking for a good film noir or neo-noir. 

As for comics, I thought Brian Bendis' Torso was great.  Read it last year and was blown away. Also really enjoyed You Have Killed Me by Jamie Rich and Joelle Jones. Of course, Criminal, Sin City, Parker, etc. are all fun.  Chaykin's American Century from the early 2000s was one of my favorite series from the decade. A lot of people aren't aware that there was a "Vertigo Crime" line of noir/crime graphic novels - I can't remember which ones I read, but, I still have The Executor by Evans and Mutti on my bookshelf.   

Edited by delekkerste

Bruce Jones

Brent Anderson

April Campbell 

Summerset Holmes 1983-1984 

1-4 Pacific Comics 5-6 Eclipse

This goes back aways forgive me but I really enjoyed these. Still have the comics bought from Page After Page Las Vegas, Nevada back in 1984.

Mysterious, cinematic in presentation. Worth a look.

DCF352D1-18F3-4298-9CD3-8D3937D6B4BC.jpeg.a81589df3e8ec52649f73f8cdbbef327.jpeg