• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Secret Wars #1
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I was looking at potential comics to sell and I've never had any passion around this comic.... Don't think I even read the whole thing when I bought it new from the comic book shop.... At any rate, was thinking of selling it but, after looking at it.... it's a bit of a hot mess....

- The cover at the top is bent, probably from years of sitting in a box because a poor kid (me) didn't have the money for bags and boards....

- Blue ink marks.... About 90% of the book has these blue ink marks at the top. No idea what that is from.

- About 50% of the book has these holes running across the bottom. They almost look like claw marks.

I'd be curious to know folks opinions as to a grade.

I moved this to a frame and have it on the wall in my office. Not sure what to do with it now. I may just stick it back in the frame..... At least it presents well as wall art....

DSC_0965(1)(1).jpg

DSC_0966(1).jpg

DSC_0967(1).jpg

DSC_0968(1).jpg

DSC_0970(1).jpg

FOTO_20200711_023100.jpg

Puzzling.  I’ve not seen page ink (?) marks like that before (I don’t think).  The holes in the pages are from production (definitely seen that before), but a tad exacerbated from handling and age.  IMO...7.0, based on what I can see.:)

On 7/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, Galen130 said:

Puzzling.  I’ve not seen page ink (?) marks like that before (I don’t think).  The holes in the pages are from production (definitely seen that before), but a tad exacerbated from handling and age.  IMO...7.0, based on what I can see.:)

Thanks. Yes I was thinking somewhere around there. Pretty disappointing. I should have paid better attention when I bought it all those years ago....

2 minutes ago, Will96 said:

Thanks. Yes I was thinking somewhere around there. Pretty disappointing. I should have paid better attention when I bought it all those years ago....

No worries.  Lots of comic vendors back then would mark comics for inventory, etc.  It's hard to tell if the blue marks are production or not...since I can only see the one.  Are the marks all uniform across the pages?  It's hard to know for sure whether CGC will take things like that into account.  Plus, I'm not expert. Lol.  I've only been doing this about 3 years...mostly as a hobby.  I enjoy the education though.  Thanks for posting it!!!

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This'll explain it for you, it is part of the manufacturing process so shouldn't count against the grade....

Thanks for that.  I thought it had something to do with production...just couldn't remember for sure.  Hopefully I can remember from here on out. (thumbsu

Just now, Galen130 said:

Thanks for that.  I thought it had something to do with production...just couldn't remember for sure.  Hopefully I can remember from here on out. (thumbsu

Basically it's just taken the place of distributors ink as an indicator for returns. so on Bronze Age mostly. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Basically it's just taken the place of distributors ink as an indicator for returns. so on Bronze Age mostly. (thumbsu

Copy that!!!  Filed away for future reference.  Thanks again!!! :bigsmile: