• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Young Marvelman #370
2 2

22 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Will96 said:

No idea, but it's a great looking comic and looks to be in great shape for it's age.

22 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Pressing/cleaning by an expert will help a bit.  Without seeing the indicia, I don’t know if it’s a reprint.  7.0/7.5 with press...IMO.:)

Thanks a lot, and have you come across YM comics in the past then? ~

Very few, but all original.  Never saw a reprint of one, but I’ve been fooled by other reprints before.  For both our education, would you include a picture of the indicia, please?  I am curious.  Lol

I would say the ad on the back makes it original, along with the ubiquitous  rusty staples, the indicia will confirm.  Cover looks free from any major creases, and page quality is good. Minimum grade because of the staples I'd say 5.0 but dependent on how cgc view the staples. 

Edited by Gnasher

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I would say the ad on the back makes it original, along with the ubiquitous  rusty staples, the indicia will confirm.  Cover looks free from any major creases, and page quality is good. Minimum grade because of the staples I'd say 5.0 but dependent on how cgc view the staples. 

Good point!!!  I forgot to look at the staples. doh!

28 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Very few, but all original.  Never saw a reprint of one, but I’ve been fooled by other reprints before.  For both our education, would you include a picture of the indicia, please?  I am curious.  Lol

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

7 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Good point!!!  I forgot to look at the staples. doh!

Hey there ^_^

Thanks, guys ^_^ I felt the pages some of my other Marvelman/Young Marvelman pages - some of the earlier issues do seem to have heavier pages I do admit, but from my research certain Marvelman facsimiles were produced in very small numbers (around 5 of each) by a UK dealer by the name of Bryon Whitworth, in the early 1990s. But Galen, here's the indicia:

image.thumb.png.6848cbf9c48801101277ef8b790a0c10.thumb.png.a4be829a768fe93a6a5df9b3f53a9291.png

8 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Hey there ^_^

Thanks, guys ^_^ I felt the pages some of my other Marvelman/Young Marvelman pages - some of the earlier issues do seem to have heavier pages I do admit, but from my research certain Marvelman facsimiles were produced in very small numbers (around 5 of each) by a UK dealer by the name of Bryon Whitworth, in the early 1990s. But Galen, here's the indicia:

image.thumb.png.6848cbf9c48801101277ef8b790a0c10.thumb.png.a4be829a768fe93a6a5df9b3f53a9291.png

Looks original to me because it doesn't give a printing/copyright year, which was 1963.  I did a little research earlier this morning and #370 was the last issue in the series and it was a reprint of issue #49.  I can't find any value on it, but you could always check UK eBay website.  Still a nice book nonetheless.  You don't see too many of these stateside.  (thumbsu  

That water pistol would never make you the envy of your chums, they'd just think you a mug for forking out half a crown on a 1/- toy. lol

Edited by Gnasher

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Thanks ^_^

The company I bought it from - 30th Century Comics, to be precise -, also said: "No, it's not a facsimile".

Also, @EwanUK, who used to be on these forums - though I contacted him on eBay (and he's quite possibly one of the foremost authorities on Marvelman and Young Marvelman, before he sadly sold his collection) said the following:

175225d332ad3453bd06060e49320887.png

Edited by Bart Allen

The original back cover ad was the first tell tale for me. I don't collect Miller's but that ad ran in War Picture Library and similar books in the early 60's, I've never see a facsimile carry period advertising.  I'm glad it's sorted for you now(thumbsu

On 7/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, Gnasher said:

The original back cover ad was the first tell tale for me. I don't collect Miller's but that ad ran in War Picture Library and similar books in the early 60's, I've never see a facsimile carry period advertising.  I'm glad it's sorted for you now(thumbsu

On 7/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

6.5 IMO.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, Deadpoolica said:

Thanks, guys ^_^

A clean or a press wouldn't help then? ~

On 7/11/2020 at 6:20 AM, Bart Allen said:

I was wondering what grade do you think this is? Would this benefit from a press or a clean? And also, and most importantly, whether this could be a facsimile?

All comments are welcomed! Thank you ^_^

image.thumb.png.781bae9ef975cb5a18dc919870c299cf.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761image.thumb.png.9bea83e1687d03e45d3a703b04c0f289.png

image.thumb.png.6848cbf9c48801101277ef8b790a0c10.png

Rust on staples makes it 5.0 for me. I see the consensus grade is higher. Good luck.

Just now, allthingskryptonite said:

Rust on staples makes it 5.0 for me. I see the consensus grade is higher. Good luck.

The census grade that you're referring to is Marvelman #370 - which is currently on eBay, but this is Young Marvelman #370 <3