• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Game for Sports Pulps?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Enoch Bolles, Earle Bergey (believe it or not), Jay Weaver, and Earl Christy.  Not a bad foursome there, RM.  Racking my brain to think of some true sports pulp surfing covers, I know I don't have any.

In fact I'm not sure I have any surfing covers at all :whistle:

Another Bergey in that Cartoon Humor line

CartoonHumorv08n01(1945-01.Collegian).thumb.jpg.7585b64a5685966d05b7d5b9344f6aac.jpg

On 12/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice! Did you see it for sale anywhere? I need it! 

It's August 1936 from my collection, RM, apparently the only surfing cover in my boxes.  Lemme see if I can't find a better copy out there (unfortunate mailing stamp placement), but I'm happy to get this one to you if I can't - after the Xmas hubbub :D

On 12/19/2023 at 11:13 PM, Darwination said:

Enoch Bolles, Earle Bergey (believe it or not), Jay Weaver, and Earl Christy.  Not a bad foursome there, RM.  Racking my brain to think of some true sports pulp surfing covers, I know I don't have any.

In fact I'm not sure I have any surfing covers at all :whistle:

Another Bergey in that Cartoon Humor line

CartoonHumorv08n01(1945-01.Collegian).thumb.jpg.7585b64a5685966d05b7d5b9344f6aac.jpg

Yowser is this one sweet ❤️

"I like those old football helmets 🏈🤣🤣 not very protective back then though😀🏈😷"

The modern helmet, being hard-shelled, has become a weapon. IN the '30s, nobody tackled head first.

"When it comes to comics and pulps, everything is wide open. I pick these up when in nice shape and cheap which they usually are. The colvers are always so bright with a lot of action."

Non-Sport pulps are rarely cheap. Sport pulps in a sport card shop are priced to the Ionosphere.
Your issue of Argosy is a general-interest pulp with a sport-themed cover.

"Guess I should probably actually try and read one one of these days."

That is how they are best enjoyed.