• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointing CGC Experience...
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am seeking some advice as to what to do about a hugely disappointing CGC experience.

Sent in (via my LCS) a ASM 800 1:200 for pressing as a 9.8 candidate. Came back as a 9.6, with small broken pieces of plastic encapsulated in the slab - albeit my slab looks undamaged?

I sent it back via my LCS and who got a message from CGC saying they are not keen to open the slab as it will no longer be a 9.6 if regraded!  Whatever damage apparently happened (can't actually see any) must have happened in transit or at CGC - in either event, due to having to send it back due to the plastic.

CGC offered no apology, no explanation, no offer to put anything right. My LCS got in contact with them about the experience and got no reply.

Once I got the book back,  I contacted CGC about turning a $200+ book (plus cost of pressing/grading/courier costs x 2) into something I can never sell with any integrity.

Message sent in three weeks ago, not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement since then.

What next?  Or is it just a case of 'suck it up' and move on?

I have never had a problem with CGC reholdering a book with a case cracked or broke in shipment.  They request pictures usually and will send you a pre-paid return Fedex label with step-by-step instructions of what to note on the invoice.  You incur no cost other than your time of packing it and sending it back.  

I also have never had a problem with CGC reholdering a label error - basically the same process.  All considered Mechanical Error per CGC, I believe, 

Edited by telerites

To be fair, I have to give a shout out to the original poster for actually calling CGC first before making this thread.  Usually it's the reverse.  Sorry about the job.  But good job in the way you are trying to take care of it so far. 

3 hours ago, Chudders said:

So, an update.  I think it is important to give credit where credit is due.  I followed this advice (many thanks by the way) and today had a conversation with a lovely lady named Rebecca Bonacci from CGC.  She could not have been nicer or fairer in the way she dealt with the case.  I was offered viable options and finally agreed on a way forward that has 'great customer service' right at the heart of it.  Thanks for your help on here and thanks to CGC :golfclap:

Glad it's being worked out to your satisfaction. I have had similar experiences and CGC is usually able to take care of problems however.... it's unfortunate that you had to email Brittany and needed to post about it in order to be "in the know" of who to email to get the situation resolved. It SHOULD have been resolved through their normal customer service team who apparently failed miserably here. People shouldn't have to know who Brittany is in order to have problems taken care of. Do better CGC.

14 hours ago, Chudders said:

So, an update.  I think it is important to give credit where credit is due.  I followed this advice (many thanks by the way) and today had a conversation with a lovely lady named Rebecca Bonacci from CGC.  She could not have been nicer or fairer in the way she dealt with the case.  I was offered viable options and finally agreed on a way forward that has 'great customer service' right at the heart of it.  Thanks for your help on here and thanks to CGC :golfclap:

I've said it a million (maybe billion) times: Customer service can make or break a company. CGC's is the best in their particular business.

10 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Glad it's being worked out to your satisfaction. I have had similar experiences and CGC is usually able to take care of problems however.... it's unfortunate that you had to email Brittany and needed to post about it in order to be "in the know" of who to email to get the situation resolved. It SHOULD have been resolved through their normal customer service team who apparently failed miserably here. People shouldn't have to know who Brittany is in order to have problems taken care of. Do better CGC.

Also true. Being "the best" doesn't mean that they're perfect. I wonder if they can have some training from the top-down (as in, the leaders who come through for us, train those who don't seem especially helpful) at some point.