• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about one little thread for vintage illustration art?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Us pulp and vintage paperback  collectors share one little thread in the Golden Age section of this forum that we use as a subforum to share pictures of our collected vintage paperbacks, pulps and related vintage publications.

It has come to light that some of us also collect or are starting to collect vintage illustration art...mostly cover art from paperback and pulps.   I also know there are at least a couple collectors of video game art here on this forum.

I’m not sure how many of us there are but I think some of us “fringe art collectors”  would enjoy showing our artwork here in this thread if it doesn’t get the boot.

What say you?

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

This is my favorite piece of illustration artwork

Jael -Sunday Newspaper Supplement in New York World
Artist: Dan Smith (All)

In the late 1890s, he worked for Hearst organization and covered the Spanish-American War. From Hearst he joined the New York Herald for a short period then moved on to The World, where “for twenty years, he drew nearly all of the covers for the Sunday magazine of New York World.
I am not exactly sure when this was published, New York World was published thru 1931. I think this was done sometime in the early part of the 20th century. His originals are rare and this is on of the best I have seen and BIG this one is 22x28. 

I was first exposed to Dan's work thru Mark Schultz at BigWOW Comicfest. Al Williamson was also a big fan of Dan's.

1HH2FLDY_220119180019lola.jpg

Gorgeous 

7 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

This is my favorite piece of illustration artwork

Jael -Sunday Newspaper Supplement in New York World
Artist: Dan Smith (All)

In the late 1890s, he worked for Hearst organization and covered the Spanish-American War. From Hearst he joined the New York Herald for a short period then moved on to The World, where “for twenty years, he drew nearly all of the covers for the Sunday magazine of New York World.
I am not exactly sure when this was published, New York World was published thru 1931. I think this was done sometime in the early part of the 20th century. His originals are rare and this is on of the best I have seen and BIG this one is 22x28. 

I was first exposed to Dan's work thru Mark Schultz at BigWOW Comicfest. Al Williamson was also a big fan of Dan's.

Beautiful!  Only problem with someone starting the thread off with a piece this strong is that everyone is now going to feel intimidated having to follow it!

I have an answer for that.  I’ll lower the bar.  I’m just getting started in serious acquisition after barely dabbling in it. 

I’m a paperback book collector and one of the great artists from the 50’s and 60’s was Robert Maguire.  He got out of the book cover game for a while like the late 60’s to do greeting cards and then came back and did mostly romance covers.  He passed away in 2005 and  I think his stuff is inexpensive right now because there is a glut of it in the market as most of his final works are being absorbed.  So I bought this painted prelim for what seemed a bargain price and I really like it. 

The style is Gothic  If that sounds a lot like Batman’s “Gothos”cover, it’s the same style. 

B4AF23D6-91CF-4C07-871C-AB3E83DD6745.jpeg

Edited by Westy Steve

Original Movie Poster painting, used for a magazine trade ad, by the great Reynold Brown for the artist's very first movie campaign that would propel him to fame as a leading talent throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

Image size is a whopping 32" x 25".  Additional images and full description at:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1500294

hgNftY7i_0311180828501sbpi.jpg

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

Original Movie Poster painting, used for a magazine trade ad, by the great Reynold Brown for the artist's very first movie campaign that would propel him to fame as a leading talent throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

Image size is a whopping 32" x 25".  Additional images and full description at:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1500294

hgNftY7i_0311180828501sbpi.jpg

Terrific likenesses.   Reynold was great!