• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors call tv show, comic book episode
1 1

10 posts in this topic

If you get MeTv on your cable system , they have a show on every Sunday night about collectors. View and appraise a persons collection .

Tonight episode is a comic book collector

Allen stewart and his 65K collection. 

They have an appraiser on who appraises individual and then the whole entire collection. Then at the end they offer something valuable comic book related to that collector for something that they have. Hence its the collectors call to make the trade.

Show is hosted by Blair from "The Facts of Life". ( lisa Whelchel)

Heads up to anyone who gets MeTv

https://www.metv.com/collectors-call

I won't reveal if Stewart went for the trade.  You may PM me if you'd like, until we reveal in this thread.  The 'Tec 140 (Riddler) CGC 3.0 mainly looked to have some spine problems, like at one of the staples.  The 'Tec 69, ungraded, did not look bad appeared to be a little rough around the edges.  Classic Joker cover.

Stewart has an extensively restored Sensation Comics #1, shown in this episode.  I don't think they showed his copy of Captain America Comics #1.  I believe that one had a large paper label of some kind affixed to the front cover, and he sent it somewhere to be restored. 

Stewart operates a superhero comics museum in Elkhart, Indiana.  Includes movie & TV props and toys in addition to the comics.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

13 hours ago, spidrvacc said:

If you get MeTv on your cable system , they have a show on every Sunday night about collectors. View and appraise a persons collection .

Tonight episode is a comic book collector

Allen stewart and his 65K collection. 

They have an appraiser on who appraises individual and then the whole entire collection. Then at the end they offer something valuable comic book related to that collector for something that they have. Hence its the collectors call to make the trade.

Show is hosted by Blair from "The Facts of Life". ( lisa Whelchel)

Heads up to anyone who gets MeTv

https://www.metv.com/collectors-call

Collector's Call on MeTV

Make sure you watch Season 1, Episode 8 as well.

Episode 8: Meet Jim E.

Artist Jim Engel is a cartoonist and toy designer by trade, so it’s no surprise that he is the proud owner of a comic-book art collection more than five decades in the making. See the original artwork for Marvel’s Avengers No. 53, Jack Kirby work, and original artwork from a 1977 Captain America issue. Will he trade some of it for a statue of Doc Savage?

Interesting episode. Not familiar with Stewart. Cool collection. Seems to think people will want to “donate” rare items to his museum... Never heard of the other guy but he seems to be a snake. One of those guys that travel around, rent a hotel room, run an ad and wait for people who don’t know any better. It is highly unscrupulous to appraise collectibles and antiques then make an offer on them. In my state it is a criminal offense. A couple of appraisers on the Antique Road Show have been fired and lost their licenses by doing this. 

As always, this show exaggerates the value of the items featured. You can pick up one of those 1939 Superman Ideal dolls in that shape for around $1,200. Great piece but not rare. They were really trying to down play that 8.0 extensive Sensation #1. Like that wouldn’t affect the price much. 

And Lisa Welchel tried her hardest but probably thinks most of these people are kooky nerds (which is often true). 

Still a fun half hour if you are a comic nerd. 

Stewart's costume from The Greatest American Hero may be a fake, unfortunately for him.  A guy who's knowledgeable about those claims all 4 that exist have been accounted for in the hands of collectors elsewhere, and Stewart's was likely created by a scam artist out of Florida.

One thing I will say about the appraiser is that he was willing to gamble on an ungraded 'Tec 69, though his graded book was pretty low.  I'm guessing at some point he would want to examine it closely.

31 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Stewart's costume from The Greatest American Hero may be a fake, unfortunately for him.  A guy who's knowledgeable about those claims all 4 that exist have been accounted for in the hands of collectors elsewhere, and Stewart's was likely created by a scam artist out of Florida.

One thing I will say about the appraiser is that he was willing to gamble on an ungraded 'Tec 69, though his graded book was pretty low.  I'm guessing at some point he would want to examine it closely.

I would be slightly concerned since many of Stewart's books look to be restored...