• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #300..Would you pay $2600+ for this?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AlexG_art said:

How often you see issues like this. Where you have a graded 9.8 but it appears to show a bad trim on the cover. 

Just wondering if I should buy it at $2600....or just wait it out? 

Where is the trim and how are you deducing that it was indeed trimmed? Also, this is a Copper. https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/470461-asm-300-heating-up/

That’s a personal preference choice. It’s not “trimmed” as in restoration, but a miscut. Unfortunately, CGC does not grade on centering/alignment/miscut unless it’s especially terrible to affect readability or art.

Since you noticed it on this book you’ll probably never be happy with it. There are many 9.8 graded examples of ASM 300, be picky, there will be more.

1 hour ago, Avi said:

You mean you dont see the "bad trim" that CGC also didnt see but was caught by the eagle eyed OP?

He means the poor (production) trimming that resulted in a rough edge, which is a known manufacturing defect for this issue.

Why would anyone even consider buying it if they thought it was trimmed (after manufacturing)? ???

15 hours ago, AlexG_art said:

Just wondering if I should buy it at $2600....or just wait it out?

Buy the book, not the label. If you aren't happy with how it looks, for whatever reason, you'd most likely regret buying it.

47 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

He means the poor (production) trimming that resulted in a rough edge, which is a known manufacturing defect for this issue.

Why would anyone even consider buying it if they thought it was trimmed (after manufacturing)? ???

Buy the book, not the label. If you aren't happy with how it looks, for whatever reason, you'd most likely regret buying it.

I was being facetious. xD

"Buy the book not the label" is spot on though!

6 hours ago, Joosh said:

That’s a personal preference choice. It’s not “trimmed” as in restoration, but a miscut. Unfortunately, CGC does not grade on centering/alignment/miscut unless it’s especially terrible to affect readability or art.

Since you noticed it on this book you’ll probably never be happy with it. There are many 9.8 graded examples of ASM 300, be picky, there will be more.

I agree. Actually I didn't notice till late. But I didn't pull the trigger on it so I'll just pass. 

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

If you are asking if you should buy a 2600 book then the answer is absolutely not.  Do enough research to make your own informed decision and at the end of the day, be happy with the book that you buy.

True....

On 7/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, 1950's war comics said:

your $2600 is better spent otherwise than on that common book

Seriously?

ASM 300 is one of the strongest books in existence, for a book that costs that much despite the amount of copies available has to tell you something

On 7/13/2020 at 1:53 PM, valiantman said:

Amazing Spider-Man #300 is known for having the "dull blade ragged edge" on many of the copies, where it is known that the covers were cut badly (dull blade) on the right edge.  It's likely that CGC has changed their stance on whether the ragged edge is allowed in CGC 9.8, since this is the rate of CGC 9.8 for Amazing Spider-Man #300 over time:

asm300pct98.png

Eloquently put(thumbsu

But are you sure the decrease in 9.8s is strictly for that reason alone? I can't see a legitimate company changing their grading standards and remaining reputable.

I understand having different grading standards for different ages, but not on the same book over time. Their stance on binary defects can't change, at least in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
On 7/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, valiantman said:

Amazing Spider-Man #300 is known for having the "dull blade ragged edge" on many of the copies, where it is known that the covers were cut badly (dull blade) on the right edge.  It's likely that CGC has changed their stance on whether the ragged edge is allowed in CGC 9.8, since this is the rate of CGC 9.8 for Amazing Spider-Man #300 over time:

asm300pct98.png

Eloquently put(thumbsu

But are you sure the decrease in 9.8s is strictly for that reason alone? I can't see a legitimate company changing their grading standards and remaining reputable.

I understand having different grading standards for different ages, but not on the same book over time. Their stance on binary defects can't change, at least in my opinion.

It seems very likely that the stance on the bindery defects have changed, and we know that Steve Borock left CGC in 2008, quite possibly due to differences in philosophy or some business-related decision.  The spike in grades in 2009 is almost certainly due to changes in the company.  Plus we're talking about 10 years into CGC's existence in 2009 and now we're more than 20 years in.  I can't imagine any business that hasn't changed in 20 years, from leadership, the staff, and general "how we do things now" vs. "how we did things then".

Here's the updated chart I just made, with 2018-2020 and an overall, including 9.4+ and 9.8 percents.

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It seems very likely that the stance on the bindery defects have changed, and we know that Steve Borock left CGC in 2008, quite possibly due to differences in philosophy or some business-related decision.  The spike in grades in 2009 is almost certainly due to changes in the company.  Plus we're talking about 10 years into CGC's existence in 2009 and now we're more than 20 years in.  I can't imagine any business that hasn't changed in 20 years, from leadership, the staff, and general "how we do things now" vs. "how we did things then".

Here's the updated chart I just made, with 2018-2020 and an overall, including 9.4+ and 9.8 percents.

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

I totally understand what your saying

But slabbed comics are sold by the grade, so by your theory a 9.8 in one year might be less valuable then another, which in my opinion is very dangerous for the market