• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centerfold of Four Color 328

18 posts in this topic

One of the great Barks stories! A fun little romp in the California he must have seen remnants of around him when he lived in this state. Only this past weekend the San Gabriel Mission had a horrible fire yet the building itself survived being made of adobe bricks. The old reservoir for the Mission is about a half mile from my home and I will walk by there sometimes and look behind the fences and get a little sense of what Old California must have looked like!

In Old California is definitely one of the stand out Barks stories for me too.

That's too bad about the San Gabriel Mission. I love the history and architecture of the missions and visited a lot of them (and old churches) in Arizona and New Mexico about 15 years ago but haven't had the chance to see any in California yet. I guess I'd better hurry.

880335452_MissionSanXavierdelBac(nearTucsonArizona).thumb.JPG.11ab251becfaaf50787363d4f418f602.JPG1373077630_MissionSanJosedeTumacacori(nearTubacArizona).thumb.JPG.666c21102928fe8408ebe6b6eb37399a.JPG

1787395470_SanFranciscoCatholicChurch(GalisteoNewMexico).thumb.JPG.c62651e4b67b1b72d0088ba6c0d4e1af.JPG1169831083_SanFranciscodeAsisMission(TaosNewMexico).thumb.JPG.001dc90b93abfe788082eb4841f067d3.JPG

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Being a CA native, I have always loved this issue. The peyote part was an interesting concept. Barks really knocked it out of the park on this one.

Yeah, very tragic about the San Gabriel Mission. I have been there several times as well as over half the other missions in CA. It apparently isn't a popular concept these days but it is a huge part of history especially in CA. I would truly like to hope it wasn't an arson situation. I heard that they had to move the statue of Father Junipero Serra to preserve it. I am confident, it will be repaired for everyone in the future. Ironicaly, even though the roof and much of the interior was lost. The original alter remained. A positive sign from above? :angel:

bvdduck5.jpg

Yes I hope it was not arson. If you get up there again Bob and it is post Covid; one of the best little Mexican restaurants around  is right across the street. Very small but very good. The old mission reservoir is just north of Huntington Boulevard between San Gabriel and Rosemead Boulevards. You can see it in the map below. It makes me wonder how they got the water from the reservoir down to the fields and how extensive those fields were. There are two amazing books I read about early California that the Huntington Library published. The first covers the period of the Ranchos through the real estate booms that started in the late 1800's; the second picks up with the real estate boom. Those books were actually first published when Barks wrote this story. I wonder if he read them?

199383163_missionreservoir.thumb.jpg.3b58ab9365f31103c2c60020b6ca0c2d.jpg

14 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes I hope it was not arson. If you get up there again Bob and it is post Covid; one of the best little Mexican restaurants around  is right across the street. Very small but very good. The old mission reservoir is just north of Huntington Boulevard between San Gabriel and Rosemead Boulevards. You can see it in the map below. It makes me wonder how they got the water from the reservoir down to the fields and how extensive those fields were. There are two amazing books I read about early California that the Huntington Library published. The first covers the period of the Ranchos through the real estate booms that started in the late 1800's; the second picks up with the real estate boom. Those books were actually first published when Barks wrote this story. I wonder if he read them?

199383163_missionreservoir.thumb.jpg.3b58ab9365f31103c2c60020b6ca0c2d.jpg

I know the area well as I grew up there. Was the Mexican place Panchitios? I went there with my family as a kid. 

Southern CA has changed so much since I was a kid. I remember going down the 5 freeway from Pasadena to Disneyland. Much of it was farmland and orchards. Going to the beach before the 605 freeway took forever going down Beach Blvd from the 5. Lots of strawberry fields. I often think of how great it would be to go back to Old California...:sorry:

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I know the area well as I grew up there. Was the Mexican place Panchitios? I went there with my family as a kid. 

Southern CA has changed so much since I was a kid. I remember going down the 5 freeway from Pasadena to Disneyland. Much of it was farmland and orchards. Going to the beach before the 605 freeway took forever going down Beach Blvd from the 5. Lots of strawberry fields. I often think of how great it would be to go back to Old California...:sorry:

No I don't think Panchitos is there it is called Los Lunas; right on the corner.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

16 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:
16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Haven’t heard of it but might check it out next time I’m up in the area...:nyah:

Well if it's post-Covid let me know and I'll buy you a Margarita; they aren't too bad there.

Can I join? It is just a short drive up I-10 for me.

I've always thought that FC 328 was one of the very best DD covers, with great composition and awesome colors,  ( I down graded from this census topping 9.6 after getting it slabbed - congrats to the current owner! ).  The thinhg is though, it is NOT a Barks cover.  IT is a beautiful Beuttner I believe.

851099542_16110502(1).JPG.9354e97ff46d7663048faf47375852d8.JPG

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I've always thought that FC 328 was one of the very best DD covers, with great composition and awesome colors,  ( I down graded from this census topping 9.6 after getting it slabbed - congrats to the current owner! ).  The thinhg is though, it is NOT a Barks cover.  IT is a beautiful Beuttner I believe.

Beuttner did some great covers on the FC series including Frozen Gold!