• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the TOP 5 (or so) Pulp Cover Artists
2 2

26 posts in this topic

We know Schomburg,  Fine, Frazetta, Cole, Baker, Kirby, Simon, Barks among others over in comic books.

This one is obviously aimed at those longer and more knowledgeable in this area than me.

Obviously I know Saunders (who did some memorable comic book covers) and as I've discovered some true masterwork Pulp covers so I'm trying to become even more learned in this collectible area. 

So I'll get the ball rolling: Saunders :bigsmile:

Who else...(and if anyone can name more than 5 :headbang: ) :popcorn:

Edited by sagii

3 hours ago, sagii said:

We know Schomburg,  Fine, Frazetta, Cole, Baker, Kirby, Simon, Barks among others over in comic books.

This one is obviously aimed at those longer and more knowledgeable in this area than me.

Obviously I know Saunders (who did some memorable comic book covers) and as I've discovered some true masterwork Pulp covers so I'm trying to become even more learned in this collectible area. 

So I'll get the ball rolling: Saunders :bigsmile:

Who else...(and if anyone can name more than 5 :headbang: ) :popcorn:

The lists I've seen look pretty good to start; particularly since I'm more about the writers than the artists (although I do love the art too!)

I'll add a couple.  Hannes Bok did some amazing, stylized covers.  And, borrowing from your comic list, Alex Schomburg did quite a lot of pulp covers as well.

Future_1942_02.jpg

Future_1954_03.jpg

@OtherEric point taken.

Love the examples posted to bolster your artist choice

I have read at least two stories on one of the sites that make the interior content available.  These can be so fragile I'm not comfortable handling them for reading (unless I pick up a fair copy with supple pages). My nicer stuff, I want to keep that way, so I am mostly collecting these for the covers 

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

@OtherEric point taken.

Love the examples posted to bolster your artist choice

I have read at least two stories on one of the sites that make the interior content available.  These can be so fragile I'm not comfortable handling them for reading (unless I pick up a fair copy with supple pages). My nicer stuff, I want to keep that way, so I am mostly collecting these for the covers 

I respect that; but a lot of the pulps have stories that were never reprinted or only reprinted in books that are themselves rare.  I won't touch brittle, but I've found a lot more copies with supple pages than you might expect.

I have a personal rule:  I will NOT buy a book I'm not willing to actually read.  Some books may only get read once, gingerly and carefully, and then I go back to the reprint if I want to re-read it.  But If I spend that much money I'm **** well going to read the thing.  It's why I only have one book still in a slab, and that was special circumstances.  I understand why lots of people feel otherwise, particularly with valuable or fragile books.  But I must to my own self be true.

The 3 that come to mind as absolute locks are Saunders, Belarski, and Ward.  Beyond those I think you will get into greater and greater degrees of personal preference and/or specialization (e.g. how do you leave off Rozen except his ouvre is almost exclusively with one title)

Yep, several really good artists come to mind where they are very famous for their book covers (hc and pb), comics or digest work, and did some pulp work too, but not a lot.  Freas, Schomburg, Bok, Fox, and St. John fit that description, I think.  Some of them did some amazing pulp covers, just not very many.

Edited by RedFury

I know she has been mentioned and she would be in my top 5 - Brundage.  I think it shows how great she was that if I am mistaken only drew sixty some odd covers for Weird Tales and yet not as prolific as others but her is lauded so much.  I am also a fan of GA female creators since I assume they dealt with such things as sexism, chauvinism, and wage inequality and were to persevere.  

Edited by telerites

Tough question. A lot of great pulp cover artists had similar styles, especially over the passage of time for those that were around from the 30s and into the 50s for paperback covers. Baumhofer could look like George Rozen who could look like Belarski who could look like Saunders who could look like DeSoto, etc. You could probably put H.J. Ward in there somewhere as well, but his women all had a very distinct face, reportedly modeled after his wife's. 

I tend to prefer the traditional stylists above to some of the more individual artists that painted pulp covers, though I appreciate them as well. Brundage is probably my favorite of the artists with their own  very distinct style. 

George Rosen is probably the most creative of the above when it comes to composition, and Saunders the most dynamic.