• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice for negotiating price
1 1

71 posts in this topic

So I follow a facebook group for high end comics.

I posted a message saying I was looking for a specific silver age comic book in a CGC slab.

A few days later a member of that group answered back privately saying he had the book in question for sale.

I asked for a pic of the book and got it, but the seller didn't want to give me a price.

He said : Make me an offer I can't refuse.

As an inexperienced buyer, I am looking for advice on how to handle this.

Could anyone give me some tips on negotiating a price. What would you do ?

BTW The book is hard to find so I want to pursue this opportunity.

Thanks

Edited by migmtl76

My success stories always ended when I gave them my "absolute best" offer. I wasn't going to overpay, or extend my budget.

I personally don't like to haggle. He might be looking for more than you offer no matter what. There's no single best method unless you already know who you're dealing with.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My success stories always ended when I gave them my "absolute best" offer. I wasn't going to overpay, or extend my budget.

I personally don't like to haggle. He might be looking for more than you offer no matter what. There's no single best method unless you already know who you're dealing with.

Lets say the FMV is 1700$. I could offer 1500$ but he will probably refuse. If I offer 1700 he will probably refuse. He probably wants 2000. That is my guess.

This key issue has white pages which is very rare. So overpaying a little is not dramatic.

8 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Lets say the FMV is 1700$. I could offer 1500$ but he will probably refuse. If I offer 1700 he will probably refuse. He probably wants 2000. That is my guess.

This key issue has white pages which is very rare. So overpaying a little is not dramatic.

He might ask for more regardless of your offer. If you offer $2k, he might ask for $2,200. Sometimes people play those games.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He might ask for more regardless of your offer. If you offer $2k, he might ask for $2,200. Sometimes people play those games.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I×m sure if I offered like 20% more than FMV he would say yes

2 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I×m sure if I offered like 20% more than FMV he would say yes

You could be right. He could ask for even more, though. Some people like to see how far they can stretch someone's interest.

Hopefully you get what you want within your budget. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

So I follow a facebook group for high end comics.

I posted a message saying I was looking for a specific silver age comic book in a CGC slab.

A few days later a member of that group answered back privately saying he had the book in question for sale.

I asked for a pic of the book and got it, but the seller didn't want to give me a price.

He said : Make me an offer I can't refuse.

As an inexperienced buyer, I am looking for advice on how to handle this.

Could anyone give me some tips on negociating a price. What would you do ?

BTW The book is hard to find so I want to pursue this opportunity.

Thanks

Its too bad you really want that book because I would tell that seller to go f off. He doesnt sound like he wants to sell it, and he is making sure negotiations wont go your way. 

But look if you really want the book then give him the highest offer you'd be willing to go if that book was being auctioned off right now and someone else out there was willing to go all the way. At what price would you go "that's it, too much for me". Figure that price out for yourself and offer him 1$ less than that price. If he says no, then thats ok, you could never give him more.

7 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Its too bad you really want that book because I would tell that seller to go f off. He doesnt sound like he wants to sell it, and he is making sure negotiations wont go your way. 

But look if you really want the book then give him the highest offer you'd be willing to go if that book was being auctioned off right now and someone else out there was willing to go all the way. At what price would you go "that's it, too much for me". Figure that price out for yourself and offer him 1$ less than that price. If he says no, then thats ok, you could never give him more.

Yeah, seems like he doesnt want to sell the book unless he gets more, you are right ! I will make a good offer and see what happens. Btw your profile pic looks like the lead singer of a-ha in the Take on me music video ;) 

Yeah the “make me an offer I can’t refuse” is either someone joking or being a bit of a d bag. Either way they don’t sound like serious sellers and the negotiating seems likely to fail. I’d still ask a tad under fair market value to start. If he declines then up it to fair market. After that it’s in his court whether he excepts or starts the gouge game.

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah the “make me an offer I can’t refuse” is either someone joking or being a bit of a d bag. Either way they don’t sound like serious sellers and the negotiating seems likely to fail. I’d still ask a tad under fair market value to start. If he declines then up it to fair market. After that it’s in his court whether he excepts or starts the gouge game.

Yeah sounds like I'm going that route. Thanks

1 hour ago, migmtl76 said:

Ask him where it is for sale. See the price and gauge if it meets your budget.

He says the book is for sale, if that turns out not to be the case he is on a fishing expedition.

I would move on.

Edited by NP_Gresham

Rules I try to follow....

Determine what I'm willing to pay and feel good about the purchase.... No buyer's remorse.

Don't worry about whether they got a deal, how much they're making, think I'm a chump etc....

It's hard, but I try to lose the emotion and all the noise about intangibles.... that don't relate directly to the item in question.

Be willing to walk away.

Some people start at a low and leave room to go up to their max price, others give their best offer. I've done both with varying degrees of success. 

Seems like you really want this book & the seller knows that so, haggling really won't go great in this instance imo

You can try to haggle but, for me I would just make him whatever your best offer is right out the gate(or maybe a $100 or so less)....if he accepts great, if not another one will pop up eventually  

Just now, Deadpoolica said:

Seems like you really want this book & the seller knows that so, haggling really won't go great in this instance imo

You can try to haggle but, for me I would just make him whatever your best offer is right out the gate(or maybe a $100 or so less)....if he accepts great, if not another one will pop up eventually  

This is not on ebay so right away the seller pays no 10% fees to ebay. I know this and he knows this.

25 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

This is not on ebay so right away the seller pays no 10% fees to ebay. I know this and he knows this.

otherwise known as Reason #6 in "10 Reasons Why Sellers Don't Deserve the Price They're Charging, That They Never Listen To"