• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

172 posts in this topic

My latest OUTER LIMITS monster sculpture from the episode 'Tourist Attraction' is now complete and ready to make latex copies.  I re-modelled the tops of the eyes yesterday morning to make them a little more pronounced.  The evening time casting session went very well and the plaster mold came out just fine.  I should have my fist latex pull sometime next week.  I'm doing a separate cast for the teeth.  Still lots of work to do  moving towards a finished display copy, but most of the the hard work's now behind me . . . I think . . . I hope!  Teeth and a display base (clear resin fashioned to look like water he's swimming in) will be added later.

Final shots of the slightly revised fish-monster (just the tops of the eyes have changed) and resulting plaster mold.   I find that creating a clay wall surround is good for containing dripping plaster as I'm brushing it on to the clay sculpture.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Work-in-progress update on my latest sculpt of the fish-monster from the OUTER LIMITS episode, "Tourist Attraction". The five copies of my cast, each measuring 17" long, have now been completed and I should be moving towards my first painted copy soon. As the latex cures over a period of days it goes darker in colour - hence the different shades noticeable in my photos. Each cast will be be foam-filled with rigid-drying polyurethane, with the teeth sculpted and cast separately to be added along the way. My next update will be of a painted version. For my own display copy, I will add a water-effect base . . . though that's likely to be a few weeks away.

Five a.jpg

Five b.jpg

photo 6.jpg

Some more work-in-progress photos attached - from prime-painted fish-monster (from the OUTER LIMITS episode, 'Tourist Attraction') to end of my first painting session. Seems to have gone okay, so far, with finishing off the eyes and a bit more detailing around the teeth still to do. Should have him finished tomorrow.

a - Primer 1.jpg

b - Primer 2.jpg

Paint 1.jpg

Paint 2.jpg

Paint 3.jpg

Paint 4.jpg

On 4/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, The Voord said:

New PUTER LIMITS sculpture...

I imagine that thing must weigh a TON if it's made of pewter! I hope you don't plan on wearing it!

Seriously though, that's another amazing sculpture!

Edited by BuraddoRun

11 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I imagine that thing must weigh a TON if it's made of pewter! I hope you don't plan on wearing it!

Seriously though, that's another amazing sculpture!

Thanks!  Actually, it doesn't weigh much as it's a latex cast filled with rigid-drying polyurethane foam.

Here's a post-casting photo of two latex pulls from the plaster mold curing in the sunshine.  The cast on the left is untrimmed.  At this stage, they're hollow prior to filling the interiors with the polyurethane foam fill (which doesn't weigh much).  The latex goes browner over a period of several days as it fully cures - hence the darker color of the one on the right.

176038013_4160508170626399_2700974426557591199_n.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 5/1/2021 at 4:46 AM, The Voord said:

Thanks!  Actually, it doesn't weigh much as it's a latex cast filled with rigid-drying polyurethane foam.

Here's a post-casting photo of two latex pulls from the plaster mold curing in the sunshine.  The cast on the left is untrimmed.  At this stage, they're hollow prior to filling the interiors with the polyurethane foam fill (which doesn't weigh much).  The latex goes browner over a period of several days as it fully cures - hence the darker color of the one on the right.

I was just joking about the weight, poking fun at your typo ("Puter" instead of Outer"). Pewter would definitely be heavy! But I do still think it's an amazing sculpt, even if it is only lightweight, hollow latex. :baiting:

Thanks for sharing more insight in the process and I'll keep looking forward to your future creations!

12 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I was just joking about the weight, poking fun at your typo ("Puter" instead of Outer"). Pewter would definitely be heavy! But I do still think it's an amazing sculpt, even if it is only lightweight, hollow latex. :baiting:

Thanks for sharing more insight in the process and I'll keep looking forward to your future creations!

Oops, missed that typo, lol!

Day four of my latest OUTER LIMITS sculpture . . . Turdo, from the episode, 'Don't Open Till Doomsday'

Some work-in-progress photos attached, including one of the screen-used prop..

Ready to cast my first copy tomorrow as the plaster needs to dry a bit more.

The two arms will be sculpted and cast separately and added to the alien 'Turdo'.  

Will stand at about 12" tall.

1.jpg

Day 3a.jpg

Day 4a.jpg

Day 4b.jpg

Edited by The Voord

New OUTER LIMITS sculpture now finished (one of five copies).  The brain-in-the-attic creature from an episode called, 'The Guests'.  Stands about 11" tall.

Selection of photos showing commencement of the sculpture, and processes involved, up to the first painted copy as follows (last photo is of the screen-used prop, which I'm including for comparison)

Day 1.jpg

Day 2.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 3a.jpg

Day 3c.jpg

Day 4a.jpg

Day 4b.jpg

Day 4c.jpg

Day 4d.jpg

Day 4e.jpg

Day 6a.jpg

Day 6b.jpg