• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you rather Splash vs. Interior Page

65 posts in this topic

I haven't posted on these boards in over a decade as I no longer collect comics. That said, about five years ago, I got very heavy into collecting OA.

I purchased a pretty expensive interior page in a Heritage Auction a few months ago and recently found this chat board. I am actively on CAF but decided to start a post here.

It's basically a "Would you rather have this or that". When I purchased the piece from Heritage, there were several members who said they really wanted the piece but for the price, you could probably have bought a splash or a cover. I don't think you could get a cover anywhere close to the price that is from the same time frame and artist but here is a "would you rather".

Three pieces:

DDan1.jpg.852113833fedf26b7261928ec85cf35c.jpgDD34.jpg.b22e3e13c44147e89b08ca879660dada.jpgDD27.jpg.a214d16a58c9bf6500bf3e2e1bb7373d.jpg

All pages are by Gene Colan, sold for around $19k+ in the last two years, from 1967/1968 and are twice-up.

First piece is a pin-up (basically an interior splash)

Second is a splash

Third (the piece I bought) is a Spider-Man crossover in DD #27

My thoughts:

*Pin-up is nice but there is really no action. Big (not entirely interesting) picture of DD's face and about 20% of the page is a picture of a hand on a book. It you made a cross, you could also make this a four panel page, without a lot of "content".

*Splash is actually pretty good (nice DD image) and some action with the Beetle in the background. Problem with this page (IMO) and I know I'm in the minority here, but as is the case with a lot of first page splashes, around 30% of the page is just writing. I buy OA for the ART, not writing. Same reason I'm not a huge cover buyer, a lot of stats/words and a lot less art. Covers have way more significance though than a splash as at least comic collectors know exactly what it is as they have seen it when they collect. Pretty much the only thing you know if you buy CGC books is the cover. I actually think there is some "brain-washing" with splash pages. If most or all the page is art, great, should be worth more than a good panel page. But if a lot of the page is words/stats, what difference does it make. Is it just because they tell you who the artist and writer are?

*Interior page. Arguably, this is a great full on action page. Unlike many interior pages, there is no filer. Each panel is classic Spider-Man and classic Gene Colan. And, it's SPIDER-MAN, who is a lot more popular than DD. As several people commented on CAF, the only reason this didn't sell for a whole lot more is because it was in DD's book and not ASM, not necessarily because Romita didn't draw it.

This is not to knock anyone who owns these other pages, but which one would you rather own if the costs was the same.

Opening to discussion, and feel free to add your own "would you rather". At least try to get the artist and price generally the same. Easier to compare two apples (even if they are different kinds) then apples and oranges.

I don't collect this subject matter but I would say, personally, it would be a tossup with the Splash and panel page followed by the pinup. If you are asking more from a valuation perspective, I am sure those with more knowledge will chime in shortly. 

All 3 are extremely nice examples. So I'm not really knocking any of them. But of those three I'd go with the first (pin-up). It presents well, and has some nice DD images on it. No action as you said, but it's not an action styled, story piece. The splash is nice, but the angle that DD is depicted at isn't as interesting to me - though it is very "Colan-esque". The DD #27 page is a great action page.And I love spider-Man. But for me, I'd want to have at least 1 panel featuring DD on a Colan DD page. That's the character he's most identified with........As I said though, they're all nice and arguments can be made for each one. Congrats on owning the #27 page!

I think it's intentional, but it looks like your comparison is for the same artist and for the same era, but its just that their work is one comic (with Spidey no surprise there) is more sought after than others, so while $19K gets a splash or pinup in another title, it's only a panel in the comic with Spidey.

I think for most of us, all things being equal (same artist, title and price) we would pick a splash over a panel page.  That's why splash pages are valued more than panel pages since it is more sought after.

In your example, my pick wouldn't be valid.  I would only buy from a comic that interest me, so I wouldn't buy a splash for another title I didn't read because its the same price for a panel from a comic I did read.

Malvin

Your DD 27 is large art and no wasted space on one of Gene’s best issues. Maybe the splashe/pinups  might eventually be worth more but for me I love the interior page.

I am biased as this is one of my favorite issues of DD by Colan. I tried to get a page from a collector buddy for years. Never saw one sell so had no idea what it would take. I hoped to win this DD27 page for about $8-$9 K. It doubled that.

I think your money was well spent. I just mentally wasn’t prepared for how much it went for. You scored an amazing page and only a real Daredevil would have the risk aversion to bid like a madman and win that great page.

Cheers,

🍇  🦍 

You have them posted in the order I like them. The pin-up is simple and self-contained. It doesn’t expected the viewer to know anything except what is on the page to like it.

I don’t care for the panel page because I don’t like Colan’s design choice. The top 3 panels were seemingly designed to emphasize the “stilti-ness” of the villain, who I always thought was stupid, and creates a sense of disorientation. Colan then sets things right with a normal panel at the end for a simple Spider-Man thumping. I don’t like the disorientation, or the thin width of the panels. If I were reading the book and ran into this page, I would move past it quickly as a story interference. 

The first page splash is growing on me; I don’t mind the excess verbiage.

Edited by Rick2you2

In general  I prefer splashes to panel pages of equal content. In this case , I also prefer the splash but that is because I like DD better than Spiderman (as a character and visually). But the panel page is spectacular , very Colan-esque. I was not surprised by the price it fetched.

I prefer the panel page.  It has a marquee action sequence and it's very well drawn.  The splash is nice too, but no villain really, so probably a close tie since Colan is more associated with DD than spidey, though with Spidey in the action sequence is impressive.  The pin up does nothing for me.  The rendering and images themselves are just ok, and not particularly well drawn.  

I prefer the splash out of the 3.  

The pin-up doesn't really do anything for me.  It doesn't "sell" the story like a cover or splash, nor is it part of the story. 

I own far more panel pages than splash pages as I think you often get more and better content in a panel page than a splash.  And I hear the point about a lot of the space on splash pages often being taken up by text.  That said, the panel page here is a page from Daredevil without any Daredevil/Matt Murdock.  Not that such pages always have to have the title character in them, but, I'd like there to be more of a significant connection to the title beyond just Stilt-Man. Also, when I think of Spidey, I don't think of Colan.  It's a good action page, but, I'd prefer Colan drawing DD in a full splash.  My collection has no use for a Gene Colan Spidey page from Daredevil with no Daredevil. :sorry: 

I look for large art and overall appeal.  I don’t have disposable income for premiere pieces so I have to usually choose interior pages with large “splashy” panels over official splash pages and covers.

That being said, I would choose the DD splash page over the interior page.  The Pin up would be last.  Personally, I love text, speech bubbles, trade titles on original art.  It makes it sink in to me that it is “official” comic art.  I adore the marriage of large art and text on a comic page.

Great conversation here -- and great to hear from you, Steve!  Thanks for posting.

I like them all, but think the pin-up feels like the weakest of the bunch art-wise.  I've always been foolishly admiring of the Stilt-Man, so the panel page probably wins out, but ultimately if someone said "you can only have one!" I'd take the splash page.  I like the history of the titles and indicia, etc.

Dan (Drummond)