• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1200 budget
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Hi all, just hoping to get some recommendations. If you had around a $1200 budget and were wanting to pick 1 or 2 titles to invest in (long term), what book would you recommend? My primary collections so far are Spider-Man and Batman/Detective comics but I'm definitely open to other suggestions. Thanks for the ideas, I'm a little overwhelmed trying to decide on my own. 

Some would say not to collect DC right now and they may be right. But I'm a DC guy and my pick of DC titles may soften price-wise but they will never completely drop off. Especially Batman 251.

I would go for a nice, high grade
Green Lantern/Green Arrow either 76 or 87

Batman 251

Batman 232. This one is in need of a price correction.

Batman Adventures 12 1st Harley Quinn

Flash 123 or 139

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 134

Avengers 4

Captain America (BA) 54

House of Secrets 92. This book is going to settle down price wise I think. There was a massive spike in value after Wrightson died and I believe prices will settle down some and become a little more affordable. This has always been a weird book for collectors but I think it's always good to have one around for the long haul.

Silver Surfer 1 or 4

Incredible Hulk 180 or 182 #181 is a no brainer but the pricing is out of control. At some point, collectors are going to want the triad more than they do now. Especially as 181 becomes out of reach for us average joes.

Edited by Randall Ries

9 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Some would say not to collect DC right now and they may be right. But I'm a DC guy and my pick of DC titles may soften price-wise but they will never completely drop off. Especially Batman 251.

I would go for a nice, high grade
Green Lantern/Green Arrow either 76 or 87

Batman 251

Batman 232. This one is in need of a price correction.

Batman Adventures 12 1st Harley Quinn

Flash 123 or 139

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 134

Avengers 4

Captain America (BA) 54

House of Secrets 92. This book is going to settle down price wise I think. There was a massive spike in value after Wrightson died and I believe prices will settle down some and become a little more affordable. This has always been a weird book for collectors but I think it's always good to have one around for the long haul.

Silver Surfer 1 or 4

Incredible Hulk 180 or 182 #181 is a no brainer but the pricing is out of control. At some point, collectors are going to want the triad more than they do now. Especially as 181 becomes out of reach for us average joes.

I don’t know if the show that was canceled   had any bearing on the price, but it would be interesting to see if swamp thing is going to be part of justice league dark when it finally comes out.

25 minutes ago, Summydad1 said:

Yes and yes. GSX is probably gonna be strong for awhile. Any key out of ASM is a winner too. Don’t sleep on X-men 94. You can probably easily get a well centered WP 9.2 for around 1200. 

I've never been a fan of X-Men 94 at all. Ever. What's so important about it? First appearance of the new team in the title? First issue back after reprints? None of that screams long term investment to me. I think the farther away you get from that time frame, the more people will forget why it mattered at one time. I may go so far as to say it's one of the most overvalued "keys" of the era.

25 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I've never been a fan of X-Men 94 at all. Ever. What's so important about it? First appearance of the new team in the title? First issue back after reprints? None of that screams long term investment to me. I think the farther away you get from that time frame, the more people will forget why it mattered at one time. I may go so far as to say it's one of the most overvalued "keys" of the era.

I look at it like this. It’s the re-launch of the x-men with a new and more diverse team. GSX is a better cover and more of a key but x-94 is the main series. It is written by an iconic writer too. You may be correct that many years from now it will fade but not any time soon. MCU will start introducing these characters and the book will go up. GSX has already jumped so much in the last 2 years that some may not be able to afford high grade copies. Next best thing is x-94. Also, if you like putting together runs, it is a must have. I’ll give you one thing though, I have never liked the cover. 

16 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I LOVE the cover.  So dynamic. If you buy a GSX1,  often you will buy the 94 to complement it.  If you can't afford GSX1, you can buy 94. 

Lastly, its the first  Chris Claremont X-men story beginning his legendary run.