• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicSeeker.com Returns

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm a long-time boardie, although not much posting in a number of years. Still collecting though.

More than 10 years ago I launched ComicSeeker.com to help me find comics. The site was decommissioned a couple of years ago as I was too busy to make some updates. However, due to COVID-19, I've had time to rebuild.

It's still a work in progress, but I would appreciate any feedback. Take a look and let me know how I can improve.

https://comicseeker.com

Jay

I am not looking to get PMs offering this to me right now so I will not be specific. 

I am casually looking for a Captain America Comics book.

1 - When I punch it into your site it brings up the issue along with all volumes of the title.  So even though I am looking for an issue of Captain America Comics, it yields searches for Captain America Vol 2, Vol 3, and so on... 

2 - There should be a function where it does a search for the issue across all the platforms and not just by dropping the taskbar down from the selection field.   GPA does this when you search for a book.

3 - Maybe after '2' is taken care of it could also sort it by price.

Looks interesting and I can see using the site.  For some of the sources where you list results, I ended up with the "dreaded" (to me) double-scroll bar.  It doesn't seem to do that with the eBay results.  Also, being able to list all results with a column as to the "source" would be nice as well.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. 

Regarding listing all results from sources on one page, unfortunately, that would require a significant programming effort to "scrape" results from the websites. That's considered bad practice, plus, it can break easily when the other site changes how their search works. eBay has the best solution as they offer me an API to get results direct from their database. But, maybe the dropdown menu isn't ideal, so I'll rethink that.

Yes, the scroll-bar is a challenge, but that is because the other site(s) don't have a "responsive" site. For example, ComicLink has a design that is 15 years old, so I can't get that to look good. 

I'll look at ways to improve the layout. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

.When I punch it into your site it brings up the issue along with all volumes of the title.  So even though I am looking for an issue of Captain America Comics, it yields searches for Captain America Vol 2, Vol 3, and so on... 

:gossip:   Captain America Comics #1-78 (1941-1954) are Volume 2. 

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

:gossip:   Captain America Comics #1-78 (1941-1954) are Volume 2. 

When I looked for the issue in question it brought up the issue number from all volumes ( that made it that far).  The issue came up but so did modern captain America.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

When I looked for the issue in question it brought up the issue number from all volumes ( that made it that far).  The issue came up but so did modern captain America.

Unfortunately, that's a function of the site that is being searched. I can't specify the volume/age/etc of the comic. Some sites, I can't even send over the issue number. But, this could be an enhancement if the other sites eventually allow this typeof searching.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The "Change Results" function seems to auto-search for some of the sites you can select, but not all.

This is actually a very useful site IMO.

Thank you. I would love to add other sites. If you want to suggest some, please let me know. There are some that I can't add because they don't have a search function, or don't even list their inventory. For example, Harley Yee doesn't list inventory and Terry's Comics doesn't have a search function. 

I'll try to add any site if someone lists it here.

Just now, innocuous said:

Thank you. I would love to add other sites. If you want to suggest some, please let me know. There are some that I can't add because they don't have a search function, or don't even list their inventory. For example, Harley Yee doesn't list inventory and Terry's Comics doesn't have a search function. 

I'll try to add any site if someone lists it here.

My comment was just mentioning that a few sites I switched to (MCS was one) didn't auto-search what I put into your site. Most of them did, though. I won't complain, because even being able to pull up MCS within your site is very useful IMO. Not perfect, but still useful.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I imagine that technically speaking, the modern series, starting from #1, would be Volume 3, since Captain America #100 (1968)  is a numbering continuation from an existing series, which could still make the #100 volume #3 if we could figure out for sure what Captain America Comics Volume 2 #1 is continued from (Volume 1 #1... Red Raven #1? Or some unknown Timely ashcan?) and apply the same logic. Lots of possibilities here. 

Come to think of it, The one person to ask for an accurate answer to that would have been Stan Lee. He was there, right? I don't recall ever reading an account, or an anecdote about Stan Lee being asked about the Volume 2 #1 issue and offering some type of explanation. Once Kirby was gone, Stan, or maybe Joe Simon would have been the ones to ask about it. 

They are actually classified as two different titles on most websites and by most dealers.

Captain America Comics was what the title was under Timely

Captain America is the title under Marvel. 

However Captain America is up to... what? Volume 5?