• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asterix
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Anyone know what issue of Asterix is coming out tomorrow seen in the beginning of this video on facebook? 

If you're not familiar with the French comic book character, the most popular comic book in the world by far last year.  https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cover-asterix-and-the-chieftains-daughter/

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

A publisher called Papercutz got the rights to publish Asterix in the United States. They tout new English translations as a selling point. (I think the only other editions in English are published in Britain by a company called Orion.)

That book is their Free Comic Book Day offering. My guess is, it's a complete/partial reprint of "Asterix the Gaul."

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/JAN200036

I grabbed one today... It has the usual challenges in the conversion of the larger European format to an American-sized comic, but is reasonably attractive. It has a fun poster spread in the middle.

And I also learned French reading Asterix, as well as Lt. Blueberry.

@MisterX you're right - it's a partial reprint of Asterix the Gaul.

Edited by Brock

All I know is I looked at the preview at comixology.  If they're calling the druid "Panoramix" rather than "Getafix", I'll stick with the UK translations,thank you very much...

I have a nearly full set of the UK hardcovers my family assembled in the early 80's, with most of the later books added as they came out.  I really don't see the point of new translations.

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

All I know is I looked at the preview at comixology.  If they're calling the druid "Panoramix" rather than "Getafix", I'll stick with the UK translations,thank you very much...

I have a nearly full set of the UK hardcovers my family assembled in the early 80's, with most of the later books added as they came out.  I really don't see the point of new translations.

I read somewhere (Bleeding Cool, maybe) that the names of many characters had to be changed in the new translation because, technically, the names in the British editions are copyrighted.