• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic buying trip Once or Twice a year
1 1

29 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Was waiting to hear the hate from the Southern Illinois poacher.

Still hating you missed that big estate sale. :baiting:

Nice write up.  I do enjoy a nice trip down to Crash Comics. It's amazing how much it's expanded from its riverfront days. My favorite of all of them.

It’s great to see that you can find comic shops with such large, restocked, older back issue inventories like these, as it’s become a rarity here in the U.K.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Once or twice a year I get to take a trip for a day and buy from comic shops that are around 200+ miles from my area 
I do this to help the shops, make some profit and increase inventory, and to get a feel for the industry. 

First Up
Fox Comics Marion, IL

They had the best inventory of any shop that I went too. I could have spent $1k in this shop and still not got
all the books I wanted. They do it all sports cards, indy books, and a large selection of back issues. Owner is 
friendly and knowledgeable full of stories. Has been in business for a long time. The comic shop portion is in 
the basement and has a separate alley door entrance. Its well organized and clean. (He does have a kitten.)
The only bad thing about the shop is the owner uses Ebay for pricing all books which takes some time and 
means you aren't going to find fantastic deals. I am not going to call it a negative, but be aware it will slow you
down and you are not going to get steals. That being said he is fair when he prices and buy enough he will cut you a 
deal as well. That being said if you are looking for a book from late 70s and up there is a good chance they will 
have it.  Spent about $200.00

Initially I saw Illinois and your description and said, "Yeah, maybe I'll give that one a go." Then I looked it up on the map and, damn, IL is a very long state.

Hope you found good stuff.