• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about drawn in vs. pasted word bubbles

5 posts in this topic

My guess would be deadlines.  The page with pasted bubbles probably took the artist longer so the letter did it separately and it was pasted on later, rather than getting the completed page and then lettering on it directly.

Malvin

In the "assembly line" to produce comics, if the penciller and inker are 2 different people, you need the letterer in between to put lettering on the same board.  One of the reasons why an inker would be rushed.

And even if the penciller and inker are the same person, there's still the hand-off to the letterer. 

With glued on lettering balloons/captions, the letterer usually gets a zerox of the pencils and then goes off on their own.

Several artists are known to have done their own lettering at one time or another: Jim Aparo, John Byrne, Dave Gibbons.  And my buddy, Steve Mannion, he learned lettering at the Kubert School.

The ability to letter your own pages means you have more knowledge/control in designing your page (even if you're not the letterer).

And if you're not the letterer, you don't have to fear a big balloon over that nice face you drew.

Edited by Will_K

22 hours ago, Will_K said:

One of the reasons why an inker would be rushed.

Also, suppose you're going by the "Marvel method" where the general story is discussed but the "details' are left to the penciller (i.e. refer to those famous Kirby notes in the margins),  

Now you have to hand off the pencils to whoever is going to write the dialogue.  Thus, further delaying the hand-off to the letterer and then the inker.

The "DC method" dictates the penciller works from a full --script.  So the whole story, dialogue and captions are pretty much nailed down.  Before the pencils.

Edited by Will_K