• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrading Question FF5 6.0 (R)

33 posts in this topic

Hello all :)

I have this CGC graded (restored) 6.0 FF5.

Here are the graders notes:

Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. (ALL 3 EDGES
TRIMMED)

Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Spine C-1
Full Bottom Whole Book TRIMMED
Full Left Back Cover Large Crease
Full Right Whole Book TRIMMED
Full Top Whole Book TRIMMED
Left Top Back Cover Multiple Crease
Spine Lite Stress Lines

What do the experts think about sending it in for pressing and regrading? I'm pretty sure there's no max label for trimmed books. Is there something that's holding it back from a higher apparent (8.0-9.0 ish) restored grade? I know that everyone says this but it looks much better to me.

Thanks!

P.S. Great forums you guys have here, so much useful information.

doom.jpg

doom2.jpg

Edited by Wolvie1

First of all - you have a really nice FF 5 there!

Great color, centering, and very clean.

As for the chance to upgrade on a pressing?

It is possible, but I think it depends upon the severity/deepness and number of creases described in the notes.

If the creases are light-ish and can indeed be pressed out/down, then I believe you could bump up.

It doesn't appear the creases are color-breaking from your scan... but it's hard to tell without the book in hand.

I have an FF #1 in 6.0 with similar grader notes. The creases are deep enough that I don't believe it's worth a press/re-sub on my part to try for a grade bump.

Based on your scan - I would say it's 50/50 on a grade bump - and perhaps you could jump a full point or a bit more.

Based on your grader notes - I'd say more like a 15/20% chance of a bump - and I'm thinking of a 0.5 to maybe 1.0 grade bump.

Just my 2-cents! Again - very nice copy!

I've never heard of a max grade for a trimmed book - but perhaps other boardies with more knowledge can chime in.

Thanks for your reply!

The pressing thing I kind of just added in while writing, I've had this book for a few years, and every time I look at it I'm like "damn, how is this only a 6.0? Did they under grade it or what". So I've got that re-grading itch..

Based on the pictures and notes, would you agree with that grade?

23 hours ago, HighAF said:

Is the fake grade of a "trimmed on 3 edges" comic really that important? If so, crack it out of tbe slab and you never have to see the grade again. Problem solved.

Yes, the apparent grade of it is important to me. I personally am completely OK with restored books. 

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would give it a 6.5 at best because of the trimming. It obviously presents much, much nicer.

I'm pretty sure that the trimming will not affect the apparent grade, so if it look like a 9.0, it should get a 9.0.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I had an FF1 with similar issues, also a 6.0R. I got it pressed, regraded... 

6.0 again. The creases, I believe, will be your downfall. JMHO.

Interesting. Do back cover creases usually downgrade a book so much though? 

4 hours ago, Wolvie1 said:

Interesting. Do back cover creases usually downgrade a book so much though? 

Yes 100%, a crease is a crease no matter where. And CGC has a knack for being more conservative when grading restoration (from what I have been told)

I will answer your question with this one:

Would you be ok with losing 250$? Because due to your tier, thats how much you'd pay when all is said and done and probably still be stuck with a 6.0.

What I wonder is why you didn't accept that offer for 2800. A near 300% return is pretty sweet.

14 hours ago, Wolvie1 said:

I'm pretty sure that the trimming will not affect the apparent grade, so if it look like a 9.0, it should get a 9.0.

It's apparently trimmed, though, on all 3 edges. I don't think they'll overlook that. I could be wrong.

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes 100%, a crease is a crease no matter where. And CGC has a knack for being more conservative when grading restoration (from what I have been told)

I will answer your question with this one:

Would you be ok with losing 250$? Because due to your tier, thats how much you'd pay when all is said and done and probably still be stuck with a 6.0.

Yeah that's on my mind as well. That's basically why I'm here, I think that they messed up on the grade, comparing to other 6.0's, but I'm here to see if there's something that I'm missing, which could be the creasing.

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

What I wonder is why you didn't accept that offer for 2800. A near 300% return is pretty sweet.

Definitely, but it was the first book I bought when I started recollecting and though part of the reason I collect is for investing, I'm not just in it for the money :)

9 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's apparently trimmed, though, on all 3 edges. I don't think they'll overlook that. I could be wrong.

I've seen 9.0+'s with trimming, so I'm pretty sure it's not factored in. But I could be wrong too.

Maybe it's the whole book trimming part though? I wonder if anyone else has experience with this?

Edited by Wolvie1

1 hour ago, Wolvie1 said:

Yeah that's on my mind as well. That's basically why I'm here, I think that they messed up on the grade, comparing to other 6.0's, but I'm here to see if there's something that I'm missing, which could be the creasing.

Definitely, but it was the first book I bought when I started recollecting and though part of the reason I collect is for investing, I'm not just in it for the money :)

Super cool to hear! So you just want your book presented the best way possible, I get that. Well look, the crease will be removed with a press so if that's what is holding the book back, it could be worth a shot. And you dont have to do it all at once. You could send it for a press and keep that beautiful book raw.

2 hours ago, Wolvie1 said:

Wow, lucky for you as the buyer though :)

I bought it unslabbed in 2002, knowing it was restored. I slabbed it. And I sold it last year... for about 6 times what I paid for it. I credit three factors: 

1. Restored books in 2002 were selling cheap.

2. I held it for about 20 years. That helps.

3. Movies. :)

On 7/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, BeepBeep said:

Are you saying they messed up because you know how to grade and you subjectively disagree? Or are you saying they messed up solely by comparing this book to other 6.0s online? Because I don't think comparing this book to other 6.0s online is a valid way to reach a grade, especially if there were no back cover scans.

Yes, I have a reasonable understanding of grading. In my opinion, I think that they either undergraded it (in which case I would resubmit it), or there is some hidden criteria that I am unaware of affecting its grade (i.e. a maximum grade for trimmed books). That is why I am here, to get the opinion of those more experienced then I am :)

My comparisons are mostly from my own similarly graded CGC books, and my OK but not professional ability to grade raws.