• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrading Question FF5 6.0 (R)

33 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, William-James88 said:

Super cool to hear! So you just want your book presented the best way possible, I get that. Well look, the crease will be removed with a press so if that's what is holding the book back, it could be worth a shot. And you dont have to do it all at once. You could send it for a press and keep that beautiful book raw.

Yes, honestly it's also the potential value increase as well :) Not that I want to sell right now.

I mainly want to solve the mystery :)

On 7/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, oldrover said:

I bought it unslabbed in 2002, knowing it was restored. I slabbed it. And I sold it last year... for about 6 times what I paid for it. I credit three factors: 

1. Restored books in 2002 were selling cheap.

2. I held it for about 20 years. That helps.

3. Movies. :)

Nice!

You don't have a pic do you?

20 hours ago, BeepBeep said:

How much value increase is there if it comes back a 7.0? Enough to offset the costs associated with pressing, slabbing, etc.? 

To me the grade is irrelevant. They could grade it a 10 and the value wouldn't change for me, since it's still trimmed on 3 sides.

Visually it looks like an 8.0-9.0 to me, so there would be quite a bit of value increase. 

That's cool that you don't like trimmed books, but not really what I'm asking.

4 hours ago, Wolvie1 said:

Visually it looks like an 8.0-9.0 to me, so there would be quite a bit of value increase. 

Are you comparing only the value of trimmed books? Or are you comparing the value of FF 5 in those grades in general? Because you should only look at it as a trimmed book since that's what the market will see it as. It being so heavily trimmed makes it a different kind of book alltogether, I think that is what the other users are saying. 

Edit: Could anyone upload the GPA for FF 5? Restored Trimmed is a separate category in the GPA right?

Edited by William-James88

23 hours ago, BeepBeep said:

The point is I don't see much value difference if the book goes from 6.0 to 8.0 because it's still trimmed on 3 sides. I don't see your "quite a bit of value increase." Specifically how much more will it be worth if it grades out as an 8.0? What's it going to cost to press it and slab it again, a couple hundred bucks?

I appreciate that you have an opinion on this, but it's not what I'm asking. The value increase is just a side benefit of this. 

I'm also very familiar with GPA, go collect, restoration, trimmed books etc.

23 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Are you comparing only the value of trimmed books? Or are you comparing the value of FF 5 in those grades in general? Because you should only look at it as a trimmed book since that's what the market will see it as. It being so heavily trimmed makes it a different kind of book alltogether, I think that is what the other users are saying. 

Edit: Could anyone upload the GPA for FF 5? Restored Trimmed is a separate category in the GPA right?

Totally understand, and I am totally aware of that, but not what I'm here asking though :)

There I looked it up, 90 day on a 6.0 is $7950. I was offered ~$3k for it a couple of weeks ago. so pretty much bang on.

90 day on a 9.0 is $27600. So yes, definitely more than a couple of hundred upside no matter how you look at it.

and please i'm really not here to argue or offend anyone, just for direction on the grading.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:35 PM, Wolvie1 said:

I think that they either undergraded it (in which case I would resubmit it), or there is some hidden criteria that I am unaware of affecting its grade (i.e. a maximum grade for trimmed books). That is why I am here, to get the opinion of those more experienced then I am :)

I emailed CGC, and they confirmed that there is no maximum grade assignment for trimmed books.

11 minutes ago, BeepBeep said:

Where are you selling this book?

I love how this book has been upgraded from a 6.0 to a 7.0, then an 8.0, now it's gonna be a 9.0 lol But hey, if you can find someone stupid enough to buy your damaged book for $14,000 I say go for it! That might even set a new record.

Don't fight it man, it's like fingercuffs... the more you fight it the tighter they get.

Yikes dude. Please take your crazy elsewhere.

29 minutes ago, Wolvie1 said:

I emailed CGC, and they confirmed that there is no maximum grade assignment for trimmed books.

Sounds like so far, the creasing is dropping it down from a higher grade, does anyone else have any ideas on what would drop it to a 6.0?

Trying to figure out how apparent grading works has been a fools game for twenty years.  Every restored book I have ever seen almost always looks better than what the purple label number says.  I don’t think it’s worth your time but take a chance and post the results.