• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC... please retrain "That" one grader you have.
3 3

163 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Sounds like a good time to hold off on submissions, and start buying up newly graded 9.4/9.6s....hm

Exactly my thoughts.... a smart buyer would take the CGC serial numbers on a listing and if it was graded in 2020 and is a 9.4 to 9.6 there's a good chance it'll get a 9.8 later.

I've resubmitted a few of them and they got 9.8 with nothing else done to them.  It's just too time consuming with so many projects on the go to crack and resubmit everything.  There's not enough time in a day.

35 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Quick question: are you noticing this on just Copper/Modern books or is this across the board all Ages?

I'm seeing the increase of harsher grading on the Copper and Modern books mainly.  I have a few theories on this agenda from an economics standpoint but nothing that can be sustantiated but
it would make sense from a grading company's standpoint to do so.

I have so many 9.8's sitting in my inventory that don't even come close to being as nice as the 9.4 and 9.6's I've recently received.   Where I used to get 20-22 books graded 9.8 in a 25 book submisson
I'm now seeing maybe 2 to 4 books out of 25 getting 9.8 on the 1st submission.

Have to say I like the idea of the 9.8s for sale being beautiful specimens in grade because I have definitely seen some questionable 9.8s for sale. Would you say this is primarily on 'modern' moderns or primarily on comics from the 80s or 90s? This is the second time in the last few weeks I've heard someone mentioning a particularly harsh grader. I was really happy with my first submission to CGC and was about to put in another (all for my personal collection) but now I am hesitating. I guess a pre-screen would work but I really felt as though I wouldn't need to waste the time and presumably the extra handling involved on a pre-screen on books I was 100% confident about. 

Sorry you've been having a bad experience.

14 minutes ago, L.E. Gill said:

Have to say I like the idea of the 9.8s for sale being beautiful specimens in grade because I have definitely seen some questionable 9.8s for sale. Would you say this is primarily on 'modern' moderns or primarily on comics from the 80s or 90s? This is the second time in the last few weeks I've heard someone mentioning a particularly harsh grader. I was really happy with my first submission to CGC and was about to put in another (all for my personal collection) but now I am hesitating. I guess a pre-screen would work but I really felt as though I wouldn't need to waste the time and presumably the extra handling involved on a pre-screen on books I was 100% confident about. 

Sorry you've been having a bad experience.

I just highlighted your last sentence because it has been almost all of 2020 and it has been from material that is from the 80's and up.
I'm frustrated because I'm leaving my fate in the hands of people that have less experience grading then I do
and there seems to be one grading cowboy trying to make a name for himself at the company and it's getting annoying.

27 minutes ago, D84 said:

What happened to 3 graders looking at each book?  Or was that always a load of 🤬?

In my opinion, that's the latter.  With the volumes they grew too much.  They would have to have abandoned that concept long ago to keep up.
With growth, comes expansion, then comes new hiring of people with less experience and less passion which gives way to poorer standards which leads to terrible consistency as the skill set becomes diluted.

I always thought or wondered if more than one grader assesses each book seems impractical from a volume standpoint and would only happen in instances when a grader wanted a second opinion or if they were thinking 9.9 or 10. The sheer volume of moderns in particular must be daunting.

9 minutes ago, L.E. Gill said:

I always thought or wondered if more than one grader assesses each book seems impractical from a volume standpoint and would only happen in instances when a grader wanted a second opinion or if they were thinking 9.9 or 10. The sheer volume of moderns in particular must be daunting.

It used to be a guarantee that at least 3 graders examine each book.  This is the policy now.  

Our Grading

CGC employs a team of more than 20 professional graders. Multiple experts examine each collectible and assign a grade according to a well-established and internationally accepted standard.                                                                                   

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I feel like I have read that before but then read references to three here on the boards as well. It only makeses sense that a high value GA would potentially garner more time authenticating and grading than a just published modern. If one person is checking say, for any reprinting info on the indicia  and such and doing a page count then another grader is looking at the actual grade would be much more efficient.

I laugh at the comments I see on Facebook regarding CGC graded Magic cards and people’s complaints of the current top grading companies inconsistent periods of looser and harsher grading...I sit there and think you don’t think this is going to happen with CGC graded Magic. I’ve been on these boards for 17 years and I’ve seen many threads on the boards about periods of loose and harsh grading periods for comics.

Thanks for the post.  I'm sitting on about 200 books I'd like to get graded but I keep hearing they are even tighter then they have been for ages (especially with copper / modern 9.8s).  I usually do a big submission around Christmas which usually come back pretty good so I'll do that again this year.