• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC... please retrain "That" one grader you have.
3 3

163 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

In 17 years of submitting books.  I've never seen the needle swing so much to the harsh grading. 

Books I would submit in the past 10 years that were slam dunk 9.8's with ease are now coming back slammed with zero notes and these are perfect.
I've been doing this long enough to know the quality of what it takes to be 9.8 and there is no consistency anymore.
I should clarify though, when I say books are being slammed... I'm getting 9.6 and 9.4 when I damn well know these are 9.8's

Long story... short.... if I'm sending thousands of books a year to get that grader who is on a rampage then it's time to stop submitting thousands of books to you.
It doesn't make any business sense to allow you to under grade.  I want my 1000% profit margins back on these junky-arse modern books.

Yes, I'm complaining because there is absolutely no consistency.

All I can offer by way of explanation is to point out that each tier passes through the grading room in different ways. 

So if you're submitting primarily moderns, they're very likely seen by the same people every time. In addition, each grader has to perform routine grading tests to ensure their consistency. So if someone's grades are "off" it's usually corrected very quickly.

One of things that comes to mind is the pre-screen process. This can be beneficial when you're submitting a lot of books and you only want 9.8 or above.  hm

I hope this helps, and please stay safe and be well...  

I normally don't chime in on a thread like this ans while I know there are a couple of threads for crossover results,I did find my recent crossover submission interesting. 

I have sent in several other crossovers and guesstimate that there was a fairly consistent correlation at least with CBCS or while some went down nearly the same amount went or like I said stayed the same.

The last submission results are below.  On the two PGX, I am just happy no restoration or missing pieces/pages.  Not a large sample here but all but one went down and the one that didn't stayed the same.  I still trust CGC's grading and felt CBCS was decent as well but CBCS sucks in other areas especially customer service.

Another thing was how fast this grading was done.  It was received on 7-8 and shipped on 7-15. I sent in some economy tier GA books and also a magazine submission as well as lobby cards (my first for this).

So maybe harsher in grading now?  I don't know but consistency is all that I want like many others have said. 

Doll Man #5 -- PGX 7.0 white to CGC 6.0 white

Captain Video #1 CBCS 4.0 ow/w to CGC 3.5 ow/w

Wings #13 CBCS 5.5 ow/w to CGC 5.5 ow/w

Fight #43 PGX 7.0 ow/w to CGC 6.5 ow/w

Captain Marvel Jr. #115 CBCS 3.0 white to CGC 2.5 white

Jungle #90 CBCS 8.0 ow/w to CGC 7.5 ow/w

Jungle #76 CBCS 8.0 ow/w to CGC 7.0 ow/w

Jungle #67 CBCS 7.0 ow to CGC 6.0 ow

Jungle #82 CBCS 8.0 ow/w to CGC 7.5 ow/w

Jungle #59 CBCS 8.5 cr/ow to CGC 7.5 cr/ow

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I normally don't chime in on a thread like this ans while I know there are a couple of threads for crossover results,I did find my recent crossover submission interesting. 

I have sent in several other crossovers and guesstimate that there was a fairly consistent correlation at least with CBCS or while some went down nearly the same amount went or like I said stayed the same.

The last submission results are below.  On the two PGX, I am just happy no restoration or missing pieces/pages.  Not a large sample here but all but one went down and the one that didn't stayed the same.  I still trust CGC's grading and felt CBCS was decent as well but CBCS sucks in other areas especially customer service.

Another thing was how fast this grading was done.  It was received on 7-8 and shipped on 7-15. I sent in some economy tier GA books and also a magazine submission as well as lobby cards (my first for this).

So maybe harsher in grading now?  I don't know but consistency is all that I want like many others have said. 

Seems CGC & CBCS can at least agree on PQ.

10 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Seems CGC & CBCS can at least agree on PQ.

That has been pretty consistent with all of my crossovers.  This is the first time where all crashed except the one that stayed the same.  Again small sample but it is on par with the number of my previous crossover subs.

15 hours ago, telerites said:

It seems like, unless you post on their forum and get lucky with Borock responding/PMing, Voldemort's customer service is just trash.

Customer service can often make or break a company. They need to figure their :censored: out if they want to make the market more competitive.

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It seems like, unless you post on their forum and get lucky with Borock responding/PMing, Voldemort's customer service is just trash.

Customer service can often make or break a company. They need to figure their :censored: out if they want to make the market more competitive.

My experience is the people answering the phone are rude and incompetent.  I used them twice and the second time was because I had a credit.  I called and was told they could grade some item and they returned it saying they could not, charged me a $4 reject fee per item.  I called complained and was essentially told I was lying.  Horrible.  

Really a shame.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, comicdonna said:

It used to be a guarantee that at least 3 graders examine each book.  This is the policy now.  

Our Grading

CGC employs a team of more than 20 professional graders. Multiple experts examine each collectible and assign a grade according to a well-established and internationally accepted standard.                                                                                   

hm I didn't realize they had changed.  So multiple experts could be a page counter and 1 grader?

On 7/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Red_Hood said:

In 17 years of submitting books.  I've never seen the needle swing so much to the harsh grading. 

Books I would submit in the past 10 years that were slam dunk 9.8's with ease are now coming back slammed with zero notes and these are perfect.
I've been doing this long enough to know the quality of what it takes to be 9.8 and there is no consistency anymore.
I should clarify though, when I say books are being slammed... I'm getting 9.6 and 9.4 when I damn well know these are 9.8's

Long story... short.... if I'm sending thousands of books a year to get that grader who is on a rampage then it's time to stop submitting thousands of books to you.
It doesn't make any business sense to allow you to under grade.  I want my 1000% profit margins back on these junky-arse modern books.

I feel you. Once you have the grading down, the consistency is crucial to optimizing returns. As I've posted before I had a killer streak in 2012 of over a hundred 9.8 moderns in a row, and when the pendulum swung I was getting dinged between 10-20% 9.6. It's tough to deal with.  Anyone can miss something from time to time but a 20% shift indicates a grading paradigm shift.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

If we can get a sense of grading standards by watching the most submitted comic book of all time, then here you go:

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

Bring back 2009 - 2012!  The good old days in terms of getting a 9.8.

@Red_Hood  Throw some of those books into the Grading Forum and let the masses determine the grades. 

could you show us some examples? Maybe those 9.6s that you think are 9.8 really are 9.6. Without pics, we can't really tell.

They may just be tighter across the board. My recent submission I got back a 1.8 that I thought was a 2.5 and a 4.5 that I thought was a 5.0-5.5. It was surprising as I usually grade low on lower-to-mid-grade books. I can understand the 4.5, but the 1.8 is a head-scratcher. No significant pieces missing and structurally pretty sound. Seemed overly harsh. But, like you say, now may be a time to buy these rather than sub.

Just now, bb8 said:

They may just be tighter across the board. My recent submission I got back a 1.8 that I thought was a 2.5 and a 4.5 that I thought was a 5.0-5.5. It was surprising as I usually grade low on lower-to-mid-grade books. I can understand the 4.5, but the 1.8 is a head-scratcher. No significant pieces missing and structurally pretty sound. Seemed overly harsh. But, like you say, now may be a time to buy these rather than sub.

It would be helpful if you could post those in the "spare a grade " forum" for us to see if we agree or not. 

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

If we can get a sense of grading standards by watching the most submitted comic book of all time, then here you go:

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

Does each bin represent the percentage breakdown for books submitted in that year? Or does each bin represent the distribution for all books on the census?

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It would be helpful if you could post those in the "spare a grade " forum" for us to see if we agree or not. 

I posted it in the 'This Week Back From CGC' thread. It's the ST 110. Here are the notes:

heavy spine stress lines to cover
heavy wear full left of spine
light cover tanning
light staple tears
multiple crease full top of front cover breaks color
multiple crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
multiple crease right top of front cover breaks color

I don't know why I would post there as this is already graded and I don't have before pics. I could take back cover/better pics later  but I'm at work. It's a strong 1.8 IMO.

My recent sub was fine (one book was actually quite a bit higher than I expected). Conversely, I did buy this book recently and the grade is a total head scratcher. Graders notes say that there is a large circular stain on the FC bottom right. I have looked at it every which way under strong light and can't see any stain.  

GH 24.jpg