• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC... please retrain "That" one grader you have.
3 3

163 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

My recent sub was fine (one book was actually quite a bit higher than I expected). Conversely, I did buy this book recently and the grade is a total head scratcher. Graders notes say that there is a large circular stain on the FC bottom right. I have looked at it every which way under strong light and can't see any stain.  

Maybe it is on the inside FC and doesn't bleed through?  Unlikely but I guess possible?

3 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Anyone can miss something from time to time but a 20% shift indicates a grading paradigm shift.

When you say paradigm shift do you really mean "opportunity to encourage resubs?" @seanfingh

Edited by Transplant

On 7/16/2020 at 8:35 AM, The Lions Den said:

As a matter of fact, it's been set up that way since the early days of CGC.  

The pre-grader is responsible for making sure all the information about the book is correctly entered into the system; that way when the label is printed out all the correct info will appear on the label. They also count the pages, check for any loose or missing parts, look for resto and grade the book to the best of their ability. If they find resto, they will almost always consult with another grader or restoration expert to make sure the resto information is entered correctly.

Once the books are pre-graded, they go back into their box until the finalizer for that particular tier can finalize them. This interval can be short or long depending upon various factors (walkthroughs will almost always be finalized the same day, for example). The finalizer is also responsible for double checking the information and all the other details relating to the book. If the finalizer's grade is substantially different than the pre-grader's, the finalizer will usually pass the book to another finalizer to confirm their grade. 

With modern books, the same system applies, but they often move through the system quicker because there are less defects and restoration isn't as common, not to mention all of the other problems that can be associated with vintage books. 

And please bear in mind that the "three grader" system was established back in the days when the company wasn't processing the same amount of books they are now, and books were often seen by more than three graders.

I hope this helps in some small way...  

It helps, but it doesn't build confidence. 

On 7/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Red_Hood said:

In 17 years of submitting books.  I've never seen the needle swing so much to the harsh grading. 

Books I would submit in the past 10 years that were slam dunk 9.8's with ease are now coming back slammed with zero notes and these are perfect.
I've been doing this long enough to know the quality of what it takes to be 9.8 and there is no consistency anymore.
I should clarify though, when I say books are being slammed... I'm getting 9.6 and 9.4 when I damn well know these are 9.8's

Long story... short.... if I'm sending thousands of books a year to get that grader who is on a rampage then it's time to stop submitting thousands of books to you.
It doesn't make any business sense to allow you to under grade.  I want my 1000% profit margins back on these junky-arse modern books.

Yes, I'm complaining because there is absolutely no consistency.

Pics or it didn't happen! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2BjCgC1MvUwwXjy2f3fL

36 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I posted it in the 'This Week Back From CGC' thread. It's the ST 110. Here are the notes:

heavy spine stress lines to cover
heavy wear full left of spine
light cover tanning
light staple tears
multiple crease full top of front cover breaks color
multiple crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
multiple crease right top of front cover breaks color

I don't know why I would post there as this is already graded and I don't have before pics. I could take back cover/better pics later  but I'm at work. It's a strong 1.8 IMO.

You're right, where you posted it is better. I will go take a look.

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

If we can get a sense of grading standards by watching the most submitted comic book of all time, then here you go:

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

Does each bin represent the percentage breakdown for books submitted in that year? Or does each bin represent the distribution for all books on the census?

Just the year mentioned.  I subtracted the 2000-2004 totals from the 2000-2005 totals to make the 2005 single year percentage for 9.8 and 9.4+.  

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:
1 hour ago, The-Collector said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

If we can get a sense of grading standards by watching the most submitted comic book of all time, then here you go:

asm300pct98_updated2020.png

Does each bin represent the percentage breakdown for books submitted in that year? Or does each bin represent the distribution for all books on the census?

Just the year mentioned.  I subtracted the 2000-2004 totals from the 2000-2005 totals to make the 2005 single year percentage for 9.8 and 9.4+.  

Here's a version with "All Years" (the full CGC census) as its own columns (after 2020).

image.png.9e5822c9ed85333b1031a4ef2d0412ea.png

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Here's a version with "All Years" (the full CGC census) as its own columns (after 2020).

image.png.9e5822c9ed85333b1031a4ef2d0412ea.png

Great info and matches what I have been hearing from people (and saw in my last sub) this year.  CGC seems to be in love with 9.6s and it's tough work to get the 9.8s.  Looks like they have 7 year cycles with the first 7 being tight, 7 years loose and new 5 years of tight.  Two more years until the next loose phase!