• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC... please retrain "That" one grader you have.
3 3

163 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the insightful reply. 

I have worked a variety of different jobs, but working for CGC was totally unique. Even though I knew how to grade (or at least, I thought I did) working there as a grader was very different from any other experience I've ever had. It was very challenging on a number of different levels. 

One thing I remember thinking is that it's one of those jobs that's a lot harder than it sounds. And to be honest, I was so immersed in it that I really didn't have much time for anything else. I'm happy to be able to relate at least some of the things I've learned to my fellow board members. I hope it's helpful for you to hear about things from a grader's perspective.

It does sadden me when I hear of so many of you being disappointed with the grading lately. One thing I can tell you is that grading does tend to fluctuate. I used to call this "the ebb and flow" of the grading room. 

From my perspective, sitting in a room with a bunch of other graders can be a rather daunting task. For instance, if your grades are off, you will definitely receive feedback from other graders, often immediately. No one likes it when one of the graders is off...I suppose the subliminal fear is that it could be contagious. My hope is that this problem will be quickly corrected and things will return to where they were before.

Time will tell...   

Yes it will. 

Edited by joeypost

On 7/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 7/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Red_Hood said:

I should clarify though, when I say books are being slammed... I'm getting 9.6 and 9.4 when I damn well know these are 9.8's

@Red_Hood  Throw some of those books into the Grading Forum and let the masses determine the grades. 

@Red_Hood So you can't show us the 9.4s that you think should have been 9.8s? 

38 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

@Red_Hood So you can't show us the 9.4s that you think should have been 9.8s? 

It's not a matter of can't..... It's a matter of won't..... 
As I mentioned on the first page of this thread...there are too many projects to deal with each day and there's not enough time in a day.
I'm not about to undertake another project to appease a couple people, I focus my time on things that generate money.
I'm not alone, the opinion of many other people in this thread speaks volumes about the under grading.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, TDKR said:

Hi folks i was curious about the books that were submitted from other companies to cgc. Those books were sent in their respective cases? If so i read that cgc states that you are not guaranteed the same grade and that the grade may come back lower. Isnt that a bit arrogant on their part? I dont think i would submit those books in their cases. I would just crack them out and submit them. It seems like they are purposely grading them lower so that in peoples minds they see the lower grades and think that these other companies do not grade accurately. It is like a punishment. 

The graders aren't aware that books were in cases from a different company, or their given grades.  all they see is a raw book to grade.  

52 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

The graders aren't aware that books were in cases from a different company, or their given grades.  all they see is a raw book to grade.  

I don't believe that for one second.  If I am sending them a CBCS book to crossover it is out of the holder already.  There is a "underlying assumption" that the book is over graded if it is still in the CBCS holder.  

58 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I don't believe that for one second.  If I am sending them a CBCS book to crossover it is out of the holder already.  There is a "underlying assumption" that the book is over graded if it is still in the CBCS holder.  

oooooooohhhhh, you so nasssssssty! (worship)

1 minute ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

I recently submitted 25 books from 1991 X-men series. Issues 1-5, All were original store stock in storage for 29 years. They all came back 9.6-9.8 except issue 3. I talked to a rep at CGC but he was no help.

20200720_140852.jpg

20200720_140900.jpg

20200720_140911.jpg

20200720_140931.jpg

20200720_140956.jpg

20200720_141003.jpg

20200720_141011.jpg

20200720_141020.jpg

Well there's your problem.... you only sent them corner pieces and spine pieces.... it should have gotten a .5 incomplete  :kidaround:

Seriously though, I feel your pain.

16 minutes ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

I recently submitted 25 books from 1991 X-men series. Issues 1-5, All were original store stock in storage for 29 years. They all came back 9.6-9.8 except issue 3. I talked to a rep at CGC but he was no help.

There must be a fairly significant flaw for a book that looks like a 9.6 to be downgraded to an 8.0. 

No grading notes?  ???

2 minutes ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

No rust. No visible flaws and no graders notes.

No notes? Sheesh... You paid good money for a service, that's just lazy...or perhaps strategic (someone sees an 8.0 presenting as a 9.X, checks notes...nothing there to deter him/her from a resub).

15 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

No notes? Sheesh... You paid good money for a service, that's just lazy...or perhaps strategic (someone sees an 8.0 presenting as a 9.X, checks notes...nothing there to deter him/her from a resub).

Unfortunately there's not enough of a value jump to resubmit.