• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC... please retrain "That" one grader you have.
3 3

163 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the insightful reply. 

I have worked a variety of different jobs, but working for CGC was totally unique. Even though I knew how to grade (or at least, I thought I did) working there as a grader was very different from any other experience I've ever had. It was very challenging on a number of different levels. 

One thing I remember thinking is that it's one of those jobs that's a lot harder than it sounds. And to be honest, I was so immersed in it that I really didn't have much time for anything else. I'm happy to be able to relate at least some of the things I've learned to my fellow board members. I hope it's helpful for you to hear about things from a grader's perspective.

It does sadden me when I hear of so many of you being disappointed with the grading lately. One thing I can tell you is that grading does tend to fluctuate. I used to call this "the ebb and flow" of the grading room. 

From my perspective, sitting in a room with a bunch of other graders can be a rather daunting task. For instance, if your grades are off, you will definitely receive feedback from other graders, often immediately. No one likes it when one of the graders is off...I suppose the subliminal fear is that it could be contagious. My hope is that this problem will be quickly corrected and things will return to where they were before.

Time will tell...   

Can I ask if your departure from CGC was amicable?

What is the time frame for this too-tight grading?  What about May 2020?  Found this on ebay looks to have at least 3 non color breaker spine ticks and maybe 2 of them even break color?  Could argue it is light reflection but doesn't appear that way.  All on a black cover no less and still it got a 9.8 anyway.

s-l1600.jpg

13 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Let me know if I have this straight:

• You've got the time to post a thread where:
    • You call out a grader CGC for "being on a rampage", who is "a cowboy trying to make a name for himself at the company"
    •  You call out CGC to "retrain the one grader"
    •  You claim "there's not enough time in the day", while still responding multiple times to this thread;
  • You don't have the 15 minutes needed to scan in the "walk-in-the-park" 9.8s that received 9.4s

Is this correct? 

Yup...that pretty much sums it up.

I guess with 38,000 posts you have "the time" for frivolous activities, whereas I couldn't be bothered appeasing you.

3 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

What is the time frame for this too-tight grading?  What about May 2020?  Found this on ebay looks to have at least 3 non color breaker spine ticks and maybe 2 of them even break color?  Could argue it is light reflection but doesn't appear that way.  All on a black cover no less and still it got a 9.8 anyway.

s-l1600.jpg

There in lies the issue stated from the start.  CONSISTENCY !!!!!!   

This wasn't graded by "THAT" grader.... damn people .... stay on target

3 hours ago, Red_Hood said:
4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

• You call out a grader CGC for "being on a rampage", who is "a cowboy trying to make a name for himself at the company"
    •  You claim "there's not enough time in the day", while still responding multiple times to this thread;
  • You don't have the 15 minutes needed to scan in the "walk-in-the-park" 9.8s that received 9.4s

Is this correct? 

I guess with 38,000 posts you have "the time" for frivolous activities, whereas I couldn't be bothered appeasing you.

That's a wonderful ad hominem post.

If you want to go there, it seems like you are only here to sell and nothing else. 

On 7/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Red_Hood said:

I want my 1000% profit margins back on these junky-arse modern books.

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

5 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
17 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:
32 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is this correct? 

That's a wonderful ad hominem post.

If you want to go there, it seems like you are only here to sell and nothing else. 

The irony is, I wouldn't buy a book from him if he owned the only comic in the world.  

8 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

This may rub people the wrong way but to me a 9.4 is as good as a 9.8 so I dont see the point in paying multiples more just to not have one spine tick or slightly blunted corner. 

I understand that you're merely generalizing to make your point, but the gap between a 9.4 and 9.8 *should* be more significant than that 100% of the time, with a margin of error of 0%. 

Sadly, this is not the case. :facepalm:

11 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

This may rub people the wrong way but to me a 9.4 is as good as a 9.8 so I dont see the point in paying multiples more just to not have one spine tick or slightly blunted corner. 

They are paying for a number in the corner, not the book. 🤦‍♂️

Why is it that they do not post the graders notes? Isn't that one of the most important parts of sending in your books? I think if i am using their service wouldn't the proper thing to do on their part is explain why I got the grade i did. Then at least i can check the book and verify what they found. I think there is something very wrong with that picture. Is this correct that if there are no graders notes that you have to pay additional money?

4 hours ago, TDKR said:

Why is it that they do not post the graders notes? Isn't that one of the most important parts of sending in your books? I think if i am using their service wouldn't the proper thing to do on their part is explain why I got the grade i did. Then at least i can check the book and verify what they found. I think there is something very wrong with that picture. Is this correct that if there are no graders notes that you have to pay additional money?

The answer below can also apply to the question above:

"It's not a matter of can't..... It's a matter of won't.....  there are too many projects to deal with each day and there's not enough time in a day.
I'm not about to undertake another project to appease a couple people, I focus my time on things that generate money.
I'm not alone, the opinion of many other people in this thread speaks volumes about the under grading"

How about retrain the quality control guys as well

A RESTORED book should not be able to be slabbed with the new labels 

Case and point on eBay right now 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-9-CGC-8-5-OW-W-Marvel-1964-1st-Electro/224089236480?hash=item342cc26400:g:xkEAAOSw~-RfFzwX
I attached a couple that I could , the seller is offering many and no restoration disclosed  and they are in a  disgustingly mis slabbed blue label 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

E5093838-1DAD-49BE-881E-A2909BF220A2.png

31AA7584-FEA9-436F-AEB2-432FDBCCC7F2.png

Edited by UncleBEN

6 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-9-CGC-8-5-OW-W-Marvel-1964-1st-Electro/224089236480?hash=item342cc26400:g:xkEAAOSw~-RfFzwX
I attached a couple that I could , the seller is offering many and no restoration disclosed  and they are in a  disgustingly mis slabbed blue label 

Part of the reason I abhor these labels.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, comicdonna said:

The irony is, I wouldn't buy a book from him if he owned the only comic in the world.  

Isn't that weird... I just got my latest 25 modern books and they are full of junky-arse stuff that got 9.8 that somebody else will pay way more for then golden age Action Comics that nobody 
gives a rats-arse for except some old guy that posts a pic of his dog taking dog poops.

Edited by Red_Hood

On 7/21/2020 at 10:43 PM, UncleBEN said:

E5093838-1DAD-49BE-881E-A2909BF220A2.png

31AA7584-FEA9-436F-AEB2-432FDBCCC7F2.png

So, if you reholder these again to a regular blue label, do you effectively lose the restoration classification? Sounds dodgy.