• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major dilemma. Art related. Urgent.
1 1

71 posts in this topic

A very, very high profile commission piece by an A-list artist was not useable for the purpose it was commissioned. This is very, very recent. The Artist is advertising the unused commission piece on his website. 

I love the piece, and I’d make an exception from my usual “published only” restriction due to the high profile nature of the piece. But it’s outside my normal price range. By a lot. I could swing it if I wanted to, but am hesitating due to the price tag. Frankly, once the OA world gets wind of this, it’ll be gone pretty fast. So I have a very short window. 

Any advice? And the price is really high for me. It’s not even close to my top end range. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I think it's gotta be the kind of piece you look at and think, 'yeah, I'd move some of my other stuff to afford that'.  If you'd be heart-sick if it sold to someone else, see what you can do.  If it would just be disappointing, don't shell out heavy $$$ for an unpublished piece that you don't absolutely LOVE.  But if you do, see if you can make it work? :x

4 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I think it's gotta be the kind of piece you look at and think, 'yeah, I'd move some of my other stuff to afford that'.  If you'd be heart-sick if it sold to someone else, see what you can do.  If it would just be disappointing, don't shell out heavy $$$ for an unpublished piece that you don't absolutely LOVE.  But if you do, see if you can make it work? :x

I don’t know about heartsick, but it’s tremendous. It’s a “Wow” piece, for sure.  

Dilemma:

I would probably advise passing on this for the following reasons:

* Commission piece. It's not like you know for a fact that you are buying something at a great bargain (with a history of sales). Plus, the artist could draw another piece(s) that are similar in the future.

* Spending way more than usual. Will hinder your ability to buy other art in the future that you might be "wowed" by.

* Very important is that you have not had enough time to process. You are "wowed" by it now (and probably will be in the future). But this is why I buy 90% of my art at auction. I see the art for weeks if not months in advance. Some art make me want it more and more. Most, I lose a little bit of interest in over time (less "wowed" by them).

Just my thoughts. Please keep us posted on the piece, even if you don't buy it. Get a picture from the website so that you can post it on the board either way.

16 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

* Very important is that you have not had enough time to process. You are "wowed" by it now (and probably will be in the future). But this is why I buy 90% of my art at auction. I see the art for weeks if not months in advance. Some art make me want it more and more. Most, I lose a little bit of interest in over time (less "wowed" by them).

This is good advice. We all remember the "one that got away," but man, when I think back at the things I almost jumped on but am now glad I didn't... They outnumber the "ones that got away" 5-to-1.

And in a few of the cases I was able to get the item I wanted later on at a good discount.

Skip it unless it fills a special hole in your collection. Since someone else here likes my earlier comment, I quote, “Art is unique, desire isn’t.”

I never spend more than I can comfortably afford. There have been occasions when I was sure I wanted something, and then had to skip something else later.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

A very, very high profile commission piece by an A-list artist was not useable for the purpose it was commissioned. This is very, very recent. The Artist is advertising the unused commission piece on his website. 

I love the piece, and I’d make an exception from my usual “published only” restriction due to the high profile nature of the piece. But it’s outside my normal price range. By a lot. I could swing it if I wanted to, but am hesitating due to the price tag. Frankly, once the OA world gets wind of this, it’ll be gone pretty fast. So I have a very short window. 

Any advice? And the price is really high for me. It’s not even close to my top end range. 

don't buy it.. sounds like your heart's not in it... good deal, bad deal, or no deal.. if you're only in it for that reason.. I wouldn't pay up for it.. I'm sure the piece is nice tho

My best stuff is the items I stretched to buy. I know it’s common sense, but If the piece in question is better than the stuff you have in your collection, then buy it and fund it by selling lesser pieces. If you do it right, you only temporarily  loaned yourself the money to buy it or at least brought the price down to a reasonable level.

49 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Skip it unless it fills a special hole in your collection. Since someone else here likes my earlier comment, I quote, “Art is unique, desire isn’t.”

I never spend more than I can comfortably afford. There have been occasions when I was sure I wanted something, and then had to skip something else later.

The thing is, I just bought a very nice published page from this same artist. Literally a few days ago. 

55 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Share when you decide to buy or not! I'm curious to see the piece.

I doubt it will be available much longer. Either I’ll jump on it, or someone else will. Either way, I’ll post it. I hope people agree with my assessment. 

15 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I doubt it will be available much longer. Either I’ll jump on it, or someone else will. Either way, I’ll post it. I hope people agree with my assessment. 

What will you regret more?  Getting in debt or losing the piece.  minimize regret.  

24 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The thing is, I just bought a very nice published page from this same artist. Literally a few days ago. 

1 should be enough. Particularly if you have a published piece. It sounds almost like an addiction, not uncommon in this hobby, but not healthy to bank accounts and credit cards.

28 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

My gut says pass, but it always matters a lot on the specific piece. I have a hard time imagining a non-published piece that would warrant the level of cost you describe, but I know anything's possible with OA.