• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major dilemma. Art related. Urgent.
1 1

71 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

Let me pour some cold water on this, the opening post said this (emphasis mine)

A very, very high profile commission piece by an A-list artist was not useable for the purpose it was commissioned. This is very, very recent. The Artist is advertising the unused commission piece on his website. 

I love the piece, and I’d make an exception from my usual “published only” restriction due to the high profile nature of the piece. But it’s outside my normal price range. By a lot. I could swing it if I wanted to, but am hesitating due to the price tag. Frankly, once the OA world gets wind of this, it’ll be gone pretty fast. So I have a very short window. 

Any advice? And the price is really high for me. It’s not even close to my top end range

Is it really possible for an A list artist to post something on his site and the OA world doesn't know about it? It is some sort of secret deal that only a select few know? I didn't know what it was but saw the link and realized that I did see it.  The artist include it in his regular mailing list.  It's no secret.  It's still there, which also mean's its no deal.  

Also, if it was a deal, I would have bought it, I tend to jump at deals (or perceived deals because sometimes I am wrong)

Malvin

I never said it was a secret, just that I personally was not reposting the link myself since I assumed it was edited out for some reason. 

5 hours ago, malvin said:

Let me pour some cold water on this, the opening post said this (emphasis mine)

A very, very high profile commission piece by an A-list artist was not useable for the purpose it was commissioned. This is very, very recent. The Artist is advertising the unused commission piece on his website. 

I love the piece, and I’d make an exception from my usual “published only” restriction due to the high profile nature of the piece. But it’s outside my normal price range. By a lot. I could swing it if I wanted to, but am hesitating due to the price tag. Frankly, once the OA world gets wind of this, it’ll be gone pretty fast. So I have a very short window. 

Any advice? And the price is really high for me. It’s not even close to my top end range

Is it really possible for an A list artist to post something on his site and the OA world doesn't know about it? It is some sort of secret deal that only a select few know? I didn't know what it was but saw the link and realized that I did see it.  The artist include it in his regular mailing list.  It's no secret.  It's still there, which also mean's its no deal.  

Also, if it was a deal, I would have bought it, I tend to jump at deals (or perceived deals because sometimes I am wrong)

Malvin

Never said it was a “deal.” I’d have bought it if it was. Hence my post about it being way outside my comfort zone from a cost standpoint. 

And I do think someone will buy it soon. The piece is circulating in the comic artist community with some pretty high praise. (The context of what it is, and by whom, makes it more than a run of the mill piece) 

I tend to ignore the giggling school girl hobby gossip from old timers. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

23 minutes ago, Timely said:

If you have decided to pass, and it’s not a secret, no reason to withhold the art in question anymore. Let’s see it!

Ankur was right. Sometimes it pays not to be so plugged into the nonsense in the hobby, so you can appreciate a piece on its own terms. 

https://www.steverude.com/collections/comic-art/products/batman-dark-knight-page-45-redo#&gid=1&pid=1

I don't even understand the description of the piece.

Steve was commissioned to redo a page and got a little carried away and the final page wasn't able to be used...oops!

Used for what, if it is a commission?

The fact that you are wowed by it is great (might not be every ones cup of tea). That said, to pay a lot more than you feel comfortable with for a redo of another artist page as a commission doesn't "feel" like the best use of funds for your collecting habits. I could see if you wanted a particular artist to do a commission based on what you wanted, but this is just a "modified recreation", not really even a commission. If the piece in question was well in your budget, fine, but the fact that you asked, makes me think you could regret this in the future. 

Good luck on your decision.

19 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Steve was commissioned to redo a page and got a little carried away and the final page wasn't able to be used...oops!

The fact that you are wowed by it is great (might not be every ones cup of tea). That said, to pay a lot more than you feel comfortable with for a redo of another artist page as a commission doesn't "feel" like the best use of funds for your collecting habits. I could see if you wanted a particular artist to do a commission based on what you wanted, but this is just a "modified recreation", not really even a commission. If the piece in question was well in your budget, fine, but the fact that you asked, makes me think you could regret this in the future. 

Good luck on your decision.

I’ve decided not to buy it. As much as I love it, I need to keep my finances solid for the next few months. 

25 minutes ago, Timely said:

Honestly if I saw that priced at $1000 I would have passed... but different art moves different people in different ways!

Right. Some of the stuff people pay tens of thousands for in this hobby makes me question their sanity. But then I remember, art is subjective and if this makes them happy, who am I to judge? 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

24 minutes ago, Timely said:

Honestly if I saw that priced at $1000 I would have passed...

I'd be tempted at $1,000 and a firm buyer at $750. But that's about it.

22 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

One of Felix's crowd of collectors is commissioning people to re-do the entirety of Miller's DKR. Evidently (I am guessing), this is one that didn't work for that commissioner. $5k...quite the 'kill fee' somebody is being asked to pick up!

18 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

Someone is redoing the number one of Batman the Dark Knight Return # 1
Using  a different artist for each page.

My guess everyone is using the standard 11x17 page
and Steve use a larger size of page.

so, the whole project don't fit together....