• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major dilemma. Art related. Urgent.
1 1

71 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Right. Some of the stuff people pay tens of thousands for in this hobby makes me question their sanity. But then I remember, art is subjective and if this makes them happy, who am I to judge? 

"Sanity is over-rated." Attributed to Cynthia Hand.

24 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Someone is redoing the number one of Batman the Dark Knight Return # 1
Using  a different artist for each page.

My guess everyone is using the standard 11x17 page
and Steve use a larger size of page.

so, the whole project don't fit together....

I think it’s more than that. He also re-wrote the dialogue. Not sure if he was supposed to follow the old page layout as well. The point is, though, it’s a rare Steve Rude Batman sequential page which has garnered a lot of chatter and publicity due to the circumstances of its creation. Plus is a bigger than normal piece. And he hit it out if the park from a quality standpoint (IMHO).

Just now, Varanis said:

Thanks for sharing! I think it’s smart to pass. I would substantially prefer a good published page over this, and it sounds like that’s what you already have.

I like the page I picked up, definitely. 

25 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Nice action page, but unpublished, and a lot of money for it. The Rude-ness of the piece doesn't impress me. If it were in my wheelhouse, I would only pay between $500-$1,000, even if that range is below market.

I’m not sure it’ll remain unpublished. But, to each their own. 

I think you made the right call with all the facts you have shared. As I think about it, the fact that you started a thread probably was the sign that the page wasn't for you (if it clearly were your instinct would have told you not to take the chance waiting or posting here). 

Where is the published page?

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

Someone is redoing the number one of Batman the Dark Knight Return # 1
Using  a different artist for each page.

My guess everyone is using the standard 11x17 page
and Steve use a larger size of page.

so, the whole project don't fit together....

It also doesn't resemble any single page in DKR, which is what ALL of the other pieces commissioned so far do.

It's also what the commissioner has commissioned all of the artists to do. Here's the one page, recreate this one page. That didn't happen.

So I think you're right that the whole project would not fit together, but I think the size of the paper was the least of concerns. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It also doesn't resemble any single page in DKR, which is what ALL of the other pieces commissioned so far do.

It's also what the commissioner has commissioned all of the artists to do. Here's the one page, recreate this one page. That didn't happen.

So I think you're right that the whole project would not fit together, but I think the size of the paper was the least of concerns. 

I get why it was rejected. I went through that earlier. But, it’s a great piece on its own terms given the sui generis nature of it, and the rarity of Rude sequential Batman art. I just think that some collectors who got caught up in the hobby politics or ancillary stuff are letting them color their judgments a bit. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I get why it was rejected. I went through that earlier. But, it’s a great piece on its own terms given the sui generis nature of it, and the rarity of Rude sequential Batman art. I just think that some collectors who got caught up in the hobby politics or ancillary stuff are letting them color their judgments a bit. 

It's certainly well executed. I could look at it for hours. Really well done. 

I was just correcting the assertion or assumption in the post I quoted that this was rejected because of the dimensions of the board it was created upon. 

All that said, I don't think I would have commissioned him at his asking his current price for the piece , and the commission price is usually the highest initial price you'll see (certainly more than a spec piece just posted to an artist's site) . So while it's gorgeous and I can see why it caught your eye, I think you're making a sound choice. 

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's certainly well executed. I could look at it for hours. Really well done. 

I was just correcting the assertion or assumption in the post I quoted that this was rejected because of the dimensions of the board it was created upon. 

All that said, I don't think I would have commissioned him at his asking his current price for the piece , and the commission price is usually the highest initial price you'll see (certainly more than a spec piece just posted to an artist's site) . So while it's gorgeous and I can see why it caught your eye, I think you're making a sound choice. 

If this was a a Bolland piece, with the same problems: New dialogue, wrong size, re-staging the panels, unpublished, but was typical Bolland gorgeous, I wonder what the general hobby reaction would be? 

In other words, is it Rude-centric and because a well known collector had his project delayed? 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If this was a a Bolland piece, with the same problems: New dialogue, wrong size, re-staging the panels, unpublished, but was typical Bolland gorgeous, I wonder what the general hobby reaction would be? 

In other words, is it Rude-centric and because a well known collector had his project delayed? 

To the original commissioner I would imagine they'd be crushed if they actually made it through the gauntlet to get Bolland to do a commission, paid a large deposit, waited patiently and had the artist ignore almost everything that set the expectations and parameters for the piece. 

For everyone else I think the reaction has nothing to do with the project being delayed. I don't think I've ever spoken to the guy who's doing the DKR recreation thing. I can't remember his name off hand even. And I have no bad feelings towards Rude at all. He did a nice Captain America commission for me years ago. 

I think it has everything to do with the price relative to Rude's overall market. Even on his own page there are dozens of published panel pages for 1/10th to 1/5th the asking price of this piece. 

If Brian was doing a bunch of interior pages (and still working on paper) and had site full of published pages for $5,000 a piece a rejected gorgeous commission for $50,000 I think the sticker shock would be equal to what you're seeing here. Gorgeous work, not understanding the pricing, and having nothing to do with siding with the commissioner. 

5 minutes ago, John E. said:

For painted commissions, $5k. I only know that because I clicked on the CAF link yesterday. 

https://www.steverude.com/collections/commissions

Maybe a little off topic, regardless if one thinks it is a great piece or not, price is also a huge factor. If the piece was for sale for $100, the topic would not have been discussed (you would have bought it).

First - A piece must be desired by you

Second - It must be in a price range you can afford

Third - Which most people would not necessarily think about, the piece needs to have some "demand/desire" from others. I say that because ultimately, there are millions of pieces of "art" out in the world, and a number of pieces that I find interesting. That said, if it my neighbor draws a great piece of art and wants to sell it to me for $50, I still probably wouldn't buy it, as there is no demand for it. If that wasn't the case, all of us would have the cheapest pieces of art we could "hoard", until we had no room for more. But adding the "collector" factor, we want something that is demanded/desired by other also. 

The price of this piece does seem a bit high. If you had unlimited dollars, sure buy it. But based on what you said, it's a pass. And if you did have unlimited dollars, you would probably by an original Frank Miller page, and you wouldn't "desire" this as much!

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

8A1280F7-6765-4A76-B8E7-BF57421FC7C4.thumb.jpeg.acd0dceea2ec16ff7ff152cf161c8ac8.jpeg

:whistle:

Everyone's having a bad reaction to the rejected commission I guess. lol 

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Never said it was a “deal.” I’d have bought it if it was. Hence my post about it being way outside my comfort zone from a cost standpoint. 

And I do think someone will buy it soon. The piece is circulating in the comic artist community with some pretty high praise. (The context of what it is, and by whom, makes it more than a run of the mill piece) 

I tend to ignore the giggling school girl hobby gossip from old timers. 

true, you never explicitly said deal, although "once the OA world get's wind of this and it will be gone fast" implies it's a deal.

And talk is cheap, all that "praise" is just talk unless they buy it.  and unless he lowers his price, it will be sitting there for a long long time.

Malvin

Edited by malvin