• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am leary about getting my books signed...

12 posts in this topic

I am afraid to get any of my books signed, I have ONLY 9.8s in my collection, and i have OCD. I use only your GREATEST facilitator, I am scared books will comeback 9.6, is there anyway to keep this for happening?

13 hours ago, Ojeep06 said:

I am afraid to get any of my books signed, I have ONLY 9.8s in my collection, and i have OCD. I use only your GREATEST facilitator, I am scared books will comeback 9.6, is there anyway to keep this for happening?

No, do not do ss if you want a guaranteed 9.8. OCD and the ss program do not mix. 

18 hours ago, Chuck Mason said:

I agree, I had an Avengers movie cover signed by the cast....it was 9.8 till the last signature.  I still get sick when I think about it.

Funny how other people say 9.6s are still good, but deep inside something ain't right when you see them in a stack of 9.8s. Some (or most) of us are weird.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:44 AM, Chuck Mason said:

I agree, I had an Avengers movie cover signed by the cast....it was 9.8 till the last signature.  I still get sick when I think about it.

On the other hand, I think trading 0.2 points off a grade in exchange for a (hopefully) permanent artifact of a timeless cast of actors that won't be around forever is well worth it! I know in an ideal world this book (and all things) would be physically perfect and stay that way, but you've imbued it with an intangible value that, as long as it stays protected, will never fade.

If you are willing to take the risk then do it. You can’t control what happens after it gets removed from the slab and it is handled by facilitators. They do everything in their power to protect all of our books. I had an uncanny x-men #510 signed by Stan Lee and it was a 9.8 and some punk kid ran up to the table and started smacking the table and slammed his dirty as hands on the comic and it came back a 9.2 😤. I wanted to uppercut this kid so badly, but a 4 year old doesn’t know any better and I didn’t see this kid at all until it was too late. I learned from mistakes since that was my first time ever getting anything signed. So my advice is just be happy that you got someone you admired to sign your book regardless what grade you get. If you ask anyone on thse forums they would all want 9.8s.

Edited by BbqP.Bun85

On 7/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, Ojeep06 said:

There is not so I would HIGHLY suggest you do not send those books in for signings if they must remain 9.8 at all cost.

If your primary concern is getting a lower grade then put your 9.8 back in the box.  I get that 9.8+ is everyone's default target, but I've always felt that the signature of someone who actually created the comics we spend so much time and effort collecting is worth more than whatever it says in the top left corner.  I was actually just talking to a friend today about a similar topic.  A 9.8 Bloodshot #1 isn't worth much, but to me, it was the first (and only) comic my father ever bought me.  We were at the Big Apple Comic Show (before if became NYCC) and Valiant was still a new company so the line to buy Bloodshot was short. I treasured that book.  We spent years going to shows tracking down the artists and writers and having them sign around the very cool gold foil. Then one day it rained a little too hard and a leaky roof destroyed my comic along with the handful of other books in my massive 15-book collection.  I've since bought a graded 9.8 Bloodshot #1 and plan on sending it the second someone that worked on it shows up for a Signature event, and if the grade goes down because of it, that's fine.  To me, the hobby of comic collecting is more about nostalgia and connecting with the artists/writers rather than the grade.  I don't even read these damn things.

Edited by Mavro
Too many "the's"