• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could keep only one piece of art from your top artists in your collection
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Shame someone got Steve Oliff to color the Hampton Dan Dare.

I kid! :bigsmile: 

I have zero exposure to Dan Dare outside of your posts, but every time I see one of these I feel like I need to find out more. The artwork is just stunning. I know John Byrne is a big fan of the book. Keep spreading the Dan Dare goodness!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by gumbydarnit

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

Reynold Brown BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956) movie poster painting.  Not necessarily my best Reynold Brown painting, but I'm a Film Noir fan and this one fits the bill for me.

7E2qhp7a_1104191853421sbpi.thumb.jpg.6ca820b162a5112e580a59962b8a8604.jpg

Steve Ditko AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 32 splash.  Content is far from ideal, but Ditko Spidey splashes are very thin on the ground and this one was affordable - so I'm happy.

dRSm0Mxq_2912190556571sbpi.thumb.jpg.4a81cbafa75e078f15e7a438ff659330.jpg

Tom Chantrell THE 300 SPARTANS (1962) movie poster painting.  Frank Miller was a fan of the movie and would later revisit this childhood love.

IGnV0Dqk_1608181717101gpadd.thumb.jpg.650dc2c721f08a59eaca5635d3a31581.jpg

Frank Hampson DAN DARE (1958) painted cover art from Eagle.

etZ5H7g1_1301181301411sbpi.thumb.jpg.409a87e4a70c4f6047a1272cc0a084de.jpg

I felt the same way when I got my first Silver Surfer splash by John Buscema. It was on ebay, with no other bids. It only had a couple of army men but it is a John Buscema splash from the series. I still love the piece.

661962934_SSsplash.thumb.jpg.40203d177a92c5dba577f1410470f344.jpg

I try not to have mulitple pieces from a given artist unless the artist has multiple runs that I liked. Therefore, I have a lot of artists, but not a lot of choices by each.

Still, this is fun:

Curt Swan - Superman   Sheldon Mayer - Sugar & Spike  Joe Kubert - Sgt. Rock        Stan Lynde - Christmas in Conniption

Superman by Curt Swan, Comic Art           Sugar and Spike Sunday Strip by Sheldon Mayer, Comic Art            Sgt. Rock by Joe Kubert, Comic Art      Rick O'Shay in Christmas in Conniption By Stan Lynde, Comic Art

Nick Cardy - Bat Lash                  Frank Brunner - HtD vs. DD              Carmine Infantino/Frank Giacoia - Flash and The Enlongated Man

Bat Lash by Nick Cardy, Comic Art      Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck - Loser Wears Pants by Frank Brunner, Comic Art                                  Justice League of America (JLA)  200, Pg 37 (Flash vs. Elongated Man)  by Carmine Infantino and  Frank Giacoia , Comic Art

I could go on, but this is enough. 

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I felt the same way when I got my first Silver Surfer splash by John Buscema. It was on ebay, with no other bids. It only had a couple of army men but it is a John Buscema splash from the series. I still love the piece.

661962934_SSsplash.thumb.jpg.40203d177a92c5dba577f1410470f344.jpg

It's a really solid Buscema SS splash . . . what's not to love?  It's not as if you're spoilt for choice on available splash page examples.  Mere mortals would be happy to own such a page . . . and only the BSDs with more money than sense would adopt a dismissive attitude towards such things (snobbery).  

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

It's a really solid Buscema SS splash . . . what's not to love?  It's not as if you're spoilt for choice on available splash page examples.  Mere mortals would be happy to own such a page . . . and only the BSDs with more money than sense would adopt a dismissive attitude towards such things (snobbery).  

I agree. I am just glad others didn't feel it was worth $550 back in 2002.

I own 88 OA pieces by Dan DeCarlo (I think), but if I have to single out one to keep it will be this Humorama page from 1963. It is from the very brief (so I have been told) period when he stopped doing inkwash and used zip-a-tone (or similar film) and cross-hatching instead. It also have two ladies in one drawing which even if it wasn't uncommon certainly is rarer than just one:

DD_humorama.jpg.ecd194f49f4d6c5ff239f8259bd9a70e.jpg

This was the first Modesty Blaise strip (1560 from 1968 and the adventure "Bad Suki") I acquired and it is still my favourite (I own four). It shows off the artistic genius of Jim Holdaway and the effortless storytelling by writer Peter O'Donnell:

MB_1560.thumb.jpg.171cbfb3c53343512867f9588c14b1b7.jpg

Of the nine OA pieces by Frank Robbins I have in my collection I think I'd choose the magnificent Johnny Hazard Sunday page from June 4th, 1972. One of the last really huge (26" x 18 1/4") ones before he switched to 2-strip. The storytelling and attention to detail is incredible. Not to mention his very distinct lettering and dynamic inking.

hazard_sunday.thumb.jpg.8a10657301b661225367a5dc9c81afbb.jpg

Like Brian I am a huge fan of Eduardo Barreto (even though I don't own nearly as many pieces of OA as him, only 33) and my favuorite is this two-page spread from Robin Annual #6 (1997). I think I have pointed out this before, but the name of the acting U.S Marshal seems very familiar...

204663624_mXVg718G_26121311041611.thumb.jpg.6be1db000eb2899d7b76dd82b1144d72.jpg

Edited by Caltex98

9 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I can follow that Hulk with another Hulk appreciation post.  Favourite Hulk artist, favourite moment within a story.  I also picked up the page before, and after this, so a three page sequence too. But this one would stay to the end of days.  

keownincrediblehulk381pg15.jpg.d6997dd22d039249429b0f06b123abec.jpg

okay, that's a great page!!!

1 hour ago, joefixit2 said:

The answer will of course change from time to time but for right now I would say this death of Jarella page from my favorite artist Sal Buscema.  really impacted me as a kid reading this issue.

hulk 205 pg 27.jpg

Impactful. Powerful. Emotional. Yep, that's a keeper!

1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I can follow that Hulk with another Hulk appreciation post.  Favourite Hulk artist, favourite moment within a story.  I also picked up the page before, and after this, so a three page sequence too. But this one would stay to the end of days.  

This isn't the page you want to keep 

image.jpeg.99d3e150724bc3216d0b1b711a449f55.jpeg

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Continuing the Hulk theme, a page by my favorite artist from my favorite comic. Samson exploring Hulk's psyche while he slumbers had so many great scenes. Actively seeking pages from this issue, Hulk 227.  

1978 Incredible Hulk issue 227 page 10 by Sal Buscema and Klaus Janson Comic Art

Another great Sal page.  He was so good at drawing emotion

3 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

You'd have to be crazy to sell this page! :baiting:

For me it would be this ASM cover by two legends, John Romita Sr. & Joe Sinnott. There are not too many vintage covers with the Green Goblin & this one knocks it out of the park for me.  The dynamic flow & action on this piece is amazing!

Even though this is a Marvel #1, think about how much this cover would be worth if it was apart of the main title run & not a one-off promo comic. Makes me love it even more knowing I didn't have to sell a house to get it! A true value!

asm#1coveraim.jpg

4 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

The answer will of course change from time to time but for right now I would say this death of Jarella page from my favorite artist Sal Buscema.  really impacted me as a kid reading this issue.

hulk 205 pg 27.jpg

That was a childhood story for me too. Loved that issue