• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you bought that came with a (related) bonus

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

That's awesome for $1. (thumbsu

Was it really $1, or did you also pay shipping, was it part of a group of books that averaged to $1, etc.?

I bought a handful of books (not all $1 but a good amount) and had already hit the $14 flat rate shipping tier. Every once in awhile you can find a cheap deal on facebook but it often takes work sifting through long posts where everything is cheap and most of it is drek. Like a virtual $.50 bin but more difficult to navigate. 

When I bought a Fantagor 1 NM raw on the boards from Howard Greber, he threw a NM Big Apple Comix 1 into the package as well.

Extremely difficult to find a high grade copy of either underground over here, and a nice surprise as I'd just mentioned the book casually.

Another example was when I bought a Weirdom Illustrated 13 raw from him, the first Richard Corben comic, graded 9.0, but an easy 9.4, and then discovered it was a certificated publisher file copy as well, so similar to the OP's post.

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I mention this whenever someone starts threads like this so I apologize to the older board members.  As a kid I used to stash money in between comics and the boards.  Somewhere out there someone has either found or will find a $100 bill or two stashed in a comic book. 

That's always a cool story. I'm more talking about things related to the book/comic creator themselves - like a hidden sig, event flier, etc.

It would be funny though if you were stashing $ inside copies of Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge or The Six Million Dollar Man :) 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

15 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I mention this whenever someone starts threads like this so I apologize to the older board members.  As a kid I used to stash money in between comics and the boards.  Somewhere out there someone has either found or will find a $100 bill or two stashed in a comic book. 

You had $100 bills as a kid? I think the most I ever got for a birthday was a lousy $20. Even worse, it was a Canadian $20. :(

16 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

You had $100 bills as a kid? I think the most I ever got for a birthday was a lousy $20. Even worse, it was a Canadian $20. :(

Long story. 

But for the most part we rarely got anything.  It was a big thing to get a Transformer or a GI Joe figure and if anything happened to it there would not be another one to replace it. 

I was scanning in some of my collection and for the first time ever, noticed that Robbie Knievel was on one of those ads for the Evil Knievel stuff. At one point I played with the original toy, found it boring for some reason (I had SSTs that were way cooler). So imagine my surprise that the ad showed all that crazy stuff on it and that you could get a Robbie Knievel (sold separately of course). This ad is not a big deal- just the realization that I ignored noticing this stuff for over 4 decades.

from 2001: Space Odyssey #3

368783611_2001SO3-b.thumb.jpg.a92cda4bfa7f3db033bf71ece668e3d1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Long story. 

But for the most part we rarely got anything.  It was a big thing to get a Transformer or a GI Joe figure and if anything happened to it there would not be another one to replace it. 

I learned that lesson the hard way on my 9th birthday when our dog ate my brand new Mike Power (Atomic Man) Secret Mountain Outpost after I played with it in the living room (right after unwrapping it) and forgot to put it away before going to school. :tonofbricks:

Edit: He ate Mike Power, too.

Edited by Black_Adam

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I was scanning in some of my collection and for the first time ever, noticed that Robbie Knievel was on one of those ads for the Evil Knievel stuff. At one point I played with the original toy, found it boring for some reason (I had SSTs that were way cooler). So imagine my surprise that the ad showed all that crazy stuff on it and that you could get a Robbie Knievel (sold separately of course). This ad is not a big deal- just the realization that I ignored noticing this stuff for over 4 decades.

Hide contents

from 2001: Space Odyssey #3

368783611_2001SO3-b.thumb.jpg.a92cda4bfa7f3db033bf71ece668e3d1.jpg

The reason I bring this up-- and sorry if this doesn't fit the topic exactly-- is the one I remember seeing was the normal Evil Knievel ad like this:

There are several-- but these two seemed like they were on tons of bronze age books. Not sure why I never noticed the other one.

1558913116_Invaders4-b.thumb.jpg.1cf15c684521745b9bdebe997d8b02bc.jpg

855229365_2001SO2-b.thumb.jpg.784e26e50e0ff7695adf7de3af9bbdb9.jpg