• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you bought that came with a (related) bonus

36 posts in this topic

Bought a copy of Shazam, inside was a Welcome Back Kotter comic. Obviously a factory error. Every copy in the store had the same problem. I told the cranky owner of the store about the problem, and asked if I could pick another comic. He told me to hit the road. It was easy for store owners to bully nine year old kids, and they did it often.

Don't recall the book, but the center two pages had lots of boogers. Nasty.

Hair, but it wasn't curly. Still an ick factor.

Got a sealed Superman hardcover that had some sort of gray, putty like mess that ruined the book. Got a replacement, but that was in upchuck territory.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Bought a copy of Shazam, inside was a Welcome Back Kotter comic. Obviously a factory error. Every copy in the store had the same problem. I told the cranky owner of the store about the problem, and asked if I could pick another comic. He told me to hit the road. It was easy for store owners to bully nine year old kids, and they did it often.

I'm not a fan of bullies and a chunk of LCSs were renowned for it

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

My pet peeve as a kid trying to collect comics was the stores with the signs everywhere saying "This is not a library!" There was one smokeshop/bookstore on Granville near Birks in the 1980s with those signs taped everywhere. If you even cracked open a comic to see who the artist was the store owner would appear behind you in a puff of smoke, pointing at the sign and screaming for you to get out! 

Edited by Black_Adam

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

In the old days, folks didn’t trust banks so some often stashed their money in books. 

True.   When my Grandmother died, we found $12K in cash in a suitcase under her bed.   Today's pandemic economic downturn has got nothin' on the The Great Depression. 

19 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I bet there are a bunch of people who would have bought out the stores error copies and been happy for it.

But when you are a kid-- you want what you paid for-- I get that. The store owner sounds like a real piece of work.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:28 AM, JazzMan said:

Related bonus?  You be the judge.

Found a HC Bring on The Bad Guys without a dust cover in an antique store for a dollar.  Perused through it when I got home and found this.

image.thumb.png.36f9003fe5f01be62d9f1b2c0e320313.pngimage.thumb.png.23378caa9a39687150138fd81ccac6a2.png

I once found a few seeds and some shake inside a couple of undergrounds..,