• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner crease and effect on Grading
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.

I have a nice copy of Transformers 8 but it has a crease.

Not sure if I want to submit it to CGC because it has a crease with color break.

In you experience how much will CGC remove from the grade for this flaw ?

Thanks

20200718_145337.jpg

20200718_145407.jpg

20200718_145358.jpg

On 7/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, migmtl76 said:

Hi Guys.

Not sure if I want to submit it to CGC because it has a crease with color break.

Looks like a VF 8.0 to me.  :whatev:

10 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Looks like a VF 8.0 to me.  :whatev:

Why do you think its 8.0?  (Honest, sincere question I’m trying to learn what constitutes grading and relatively new to it..if I missed sarcasm).   Thanks.   

21 hours ago, Marc Daniels said:

Why do you think its 8.0?  (Honest, sincere question I’m trying to learn what constitutes grading and relatively new to it..if I missed sarcasm).   Thanks.   

I'm pretty tough on creases.  And overall with the accumulation of other minor issues (dents on spine, etc.), 8.0 is where I land on the book.  The original question is how much does CGC reduce for that crease.  My experience is that it varies greatly.  I think an otherwise very high grade book (say 9.6) with that crease might be a 9.0 whereas a book with multiple issues (say a 7.0) that crease might not change the grade at all.  2c

On 7/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, migmtl76 said:

Hi Guys.

Thanks

20200718_145337.jpg

20200718_145407.jpg

20200718_145358.jpg

A lot. At least enough for the book to not be worth sending in. No joke, but selling this book slabbed (which would probably be an 8.0 or 8.5) would probably not make you get back the $30+ dollars it costs to get it slabbed. At least in this condition, you could sell it for $20 or so and keep that money in your pockets. 

No joke for it to be marginally worthwhile, the book would have to be near flawless: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TRANSFORMERS-8-CGC-9-6-NM-WP-Marvel-Comics-1985-1st-app-DINOBOTS-Grimlock/124201163028?hash=item1ceaf75914:g:sbUAAOSwwQ1ezZD4