• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we paying for newsstand editions?
3 3

93 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread because the similar thread in the Copper Age forum is less relevant to newsstand editions than the Modern forum because Modern Age newsstand editions are much harder to find, and thus more likely to command a premium, than their copper age counterparts.

To start this off, I'll admit that I have in some cases spent 10x the going price of a direct edition for the corresponding newsstand edition. The reason is that there have been some issues that are so hard to find (for me anyway) that when I finally saw them, I grabbed them. More often, I pay a 50% premium or the same as the direct price but think that is primarily because the seller isn't aware of the difference between directs and newsstands. A couple that were particularly hard to find were these:

Hulk #92

Hulk (2008) #1 and #15

Daredevil 121

Price variants from 1999-2000 (these are VERY hard to find)

It’s always on a book by book basis. Some command no premium even at 9.8, Usually non key issues from early modern age.  
Other newsstand editions are ghosts, and fetch premiums even in low grade. Like Thor: God of Thunder 6 (2013)
 Then there’s everything in between.

I paid $250 for this... one of the final Marvel newsstand books (has "DISPLAY UNTIL 12/10/2013") in the barcode. 

A regular CGC 9.8 copy is worth $50, so I paid a 5x multiplier for newsstand.

There is a 1:50 variant for Superior Spider-Man #20 which has sold for as high as $1,200 in CGC 9.8 for this issue, but the most recent 1:50 variant CGC 9.8 sale was $400, so from that standpoint, I paid about 62% of the 1:50 variant price.

2111989001.thumb.jpg.cdfa883c8c9e67c54cb40d35603932ec.jpg

Good question.   

I think a big piece of the equation is demand for both the underlying issue and also demand for the newsstand variation.  General awareness that there is a newsstand also comes into play.   

The Spider-Man Noir #1 newsstand is a good example of a hard to find newsstand ( from 2009) that simply has EXTREMELY low awareness and is not well documented. Even when appropriately described as a newsstand on Ebay the premium over the past year or so has been maybe 5-10% if that. 

s-l1600 (77).jpg

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

I paid $250 for this... one of the final Marvel newsstand books (has "DISPLAY UNTIL 12/10/2013") in the barcode. 

A regular CGC 9.8 copy is worth $50, so I paid a 5x multiplier for newsstand.

There is a 1:50 variant for Superior Spider-Man #20 which has sold for as high as $1,200 in CGC 9.8 for this issue, but the most recent 1:50 variant CGC 9.8 sale was $400, so from that standpoint, I paid about 62% of the 1:50 variant price.

2111989001.thumb.jpg.cdfa883c8c9e67c54cb40d35603932ec.jpg

That was also the last NE for the title:

99172935_Superior1-20ne.thumb.jpg.bf87552aa792a83ae3ff71c04b5f4af1.jpg

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

@Get Marwood & I - do any Marvel newsstands exist with a "DISPLAY UNTIL" date after 12/10/2013?

My understanding, working from memory, is no, as Superior #20 was the last cover / indicia month for Marvel newsstands. I'd need to investigate to see if any other titles had a later date as the 'Display Until' may not necessarily correspond with the month. I'll have a poke around and see.

Mike's Comic Newsstand has Superior Spider-Man #20 as an October 30th on sale book:

ssm20.PNG.041b966430bce063ee476ea0cfa2654a.PNG

It has FF #13 also as an October 23rd, one week earlier:

ff13m.PNG.f2793bc11869c60fd33a83196eb36c37.PNG

So if the NE of SSM#20 has a 12/10/2013 'DISPLAY UNTIL' date, the FF #13 should have a 'DISPLAY UNTIL' as 12/03/2013, one week earlier - and it does:

ff13c.thumb.jpg.b4f7b1e6b4dee99d29c3fb05763c8ee6.jpg ff13.thumb.jpg.b4a9d25ea4451b5a77e02ffc52102db2.jpg

So we need to find a December 2013 indicia book, with an on sale date later than SSM#20 to find a later one.

I'll get checking....

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So we need to find a December 2013 indicia book, with an on sale date later than SSM#20 to find a later one.

I'll get checking....

OK, using Mike's Comic Newsstand, I've checked every non-variant title for December 2013 and only one has an 'on sale date' later than the SSM#20's October 30th - that book is 

ih15.PNG.273eb142d09ed3cc2d26b43e3dbe06eb.PNG

I can't find a newsstand copy online so far, but if there is one, in theory, its 'DISPLAY UNTIL' date should be later.

19 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

OK, using Mike's Comic Newsstand, I've checked every non-variant title for December 2013 and only one has an 'on sale date' later than the SSM#20's October 30th - that book is 

ih15.PNG.273eb142d09ed3cc2d26b43e3dbe06eb.PNG

I can't find a newsstand copy online so far, but if there is one, in theory, its 'DISPLAY UNTIL' date should be later.

Thanks for checking!  I don't know if I could convince myself to buy a copy of Indestructible Hulk #15 for a premium since his watch is on upside down.

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK (2012 Series) #15 Fine Comics Book

(photo is the direct edition, but I'm talking about the watch, not the barcode.)

I feel like every time I look at it, I'd just think "that's dumb" and want to get rid of it. lol

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

Thanks for checking!  I don't know if I could convince myself to buy a copy of Indestructible Hulk #15 for a premium since his watch is on upside down.

I feel like every time I look at it, I'd just think "that's dumb" and want to get rid of it. lol

Accurate

But regarding the newstand with that ASM 300 ratio, they might be a deal at the moment

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

(photo is the direct edition, but I'm talking about the watch, not the barcode.)

Hulk no like!

Rubbish isn't it. I must admit, I hadn't considered the 'display date' before - using it we should be able to determine the very last ever Marvel newsstand book(s). It may be this book - terrible shame if so lol

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up Special #1 also has a 12/10/2013 date, but I always thought non-monthlies (specials/annuals) were kept on the stands longer since they didn't need to be replaced the next month, so if it was "display until 12/10/2013" it might have been there much  earlier than Superior Spider-Man #20.

There are a couple more with the "display until 12/10/2013" notes, so there may be a "tie" for the final Marvel newsstand book(s), if it isn't a single book with a date after 12/10/2013.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There are a couple more with the "display until 12/10/2013" notes, so there may be a "tie" for the final Marvel newsstand book(s), if it isn't a single book with a date after 12/10/2013.

Yep. Incidentally, the 'on sale' data from Mike's is for Direct Editions. Not sure if that changes anything.

2020-07-21 21.31.44.jpg

Wonder what 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Double' means. 

28 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep. Incidentally, the 'on sale' data from Mike's is for Direct Editions. Not sure if that changes anything.

2020-07-21 21.31.44.jpg

Wonder what 'Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Double' means. 

I think the "on sale date" for direct editions is probably helpful for determining order of release, with a standard amount of time afterward for newsstand arrival.  I wouldn't expect any surprises for newsstand arrival unless specials/annuals arrived earlier to spend more time on the newsstand before being returnable.