• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we paying for newsstand editions?
3 3

93 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, williamblood said:

i wish cgc separated the census for direct vs newsstand for books past say 1995. would love to know how many others of books like this are out there in 9.8 when trying to determine value

s-l1600 (2).jpg

You sure do pump Batman Beyond #1 ALOT, Brian

On 7/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, paqart said:

I'm starting this thread because the similar thread in the Copper Age forum is less relevant to newsstand editions than the Modern forum because Modern Age newsstand editions are much harder to find, and thus more likely to command a premium, than their copper age counterparts.

To start this off, I'll admit that I have in some cases spent 10x the going price of a direct edition for the corresponding newsstand edition. The reason is that there have been some issues that are so hard to find (for me anyway) that when I finally saw them, I grabbed them. More often, I pay a 50% premium or the same as the direct price but think that is primarily because the seller isn't aware of the difference between directs and newsstands. A couple that were particularly hard to find were these:

Hulk #92

Hulk (2008) #1 and #15

Daredevil 121

Price variants from 1999-2000 (these are VERY hard to find)

Hulk #92 first Planet Hulk? What would you say the value is on a nm newsstand copy raw?

On 7/23/2020 at 7:54 AM, maidenmate91 said:

Hulk #92 first Planet Hulk? What would you say the value is on a nm newsstand copy raw?

Not sure. Mile High Prices charges $320 for direct. Using their 5x multiplier for that year, it would be $1600. GoCollect lists FMV for direct at a more reasonable $75. If you use MH's 5x multiplier, you get $375. MyComicShop is around $200 a copy for each of five directs, making the NE about $1,000. That said, my CGC-slabbed 9.6 copy is, in my opinion, my most valuable comic to me because of the combination of key status, rarity, and condition. I would peg its value at around $500 but I wouldn't sell it for that.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, williamblood said:

i wish cgc separated the census for direct vs newsstand for books past say 1995. would love to know how many others of books like this are out there in 9.8 when trying to determine value

s-l1600 (2).jpg

it's an awesome addition :) either way, hope it can happen with the label lol but still cool copy!

On 7/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, williamblood said:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Well 1995 works against the book , but it wasn't a huge printed book so maybe they cancel each other out.

Id love to find a 3rd print newsstand. Thats a rare book.

2 hours ago, paqart said:

Not sure. Mile High Prices charges $320 for direct. Using their 5x multiplier for that year, it would be $1600. GoCollect lists FMV for direct at a more reasonable $75. If you use MH's 5x multiplier, you get $375. MyComicShop is around $200 a copy for each of five directs, making the NE about $1,000. That said, my CGC-slabbed 9.6 copy is, in my opinion, my most valuable comic to me because of the combination of key status, rarity, and condition. I would peg its value at around $500 but I wouldn't sell it for that.

Not being abrasive, but I feel that estimate is way over the mark. I appreciate the response though. 

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:
4 hours ago, paqart said:

Not being abrasive, but I feel that estimate is way over the mark. I appreciate the response though. 

Waaaaaaay over. :bigsmile: But that doesn't mean it can't happen in this market

2 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

MyComicShop prices aren't that bad and it averages around $200 for the direct edition. Considering the hard-to-find factor, a newsstand Hulk 92 should be at least double that, so not sure it is "wa-ay over", though you may be right. From my point of view, looking at the buy price generally doesn't reflect how hard to find these comics can be. If one doesn't care which NE comics go into their collection, they aren't so hard to get, but if you want specific issues, they can be a huge pain to find. When I was a kid collecting comics, the difficulty of finding a comic, or the work that goes into finding a comic, didn't enter into my estimate of value. Now, if I'm looking at hours or days of searching, trips to distant shops and so on, then the premiums make a lot of sense because I could be working and earning money with that time instead. On that basis, I put more than $500 worth of work into finding the IH 92, so to me, it is reasonable.

I remember looking at a wall at a comic shop in San Jose back in the seventies. At the time, they had a mint copy, fresh out of the box, of Hulk 1 (1962), Avengers 1, Spider-Man 1, X-Men 1, and the star of the show, Fantastic Four 1. They wanted $500 each. At the time, that price seemed outrageous to me. If I recall, the Overstreet range at the time was between $350-$450. And yet, he kept selling them because no one else had them. He had plenty of copies of all those comics because he either owned a newsstand or bought the stock from a newsstand. Either way, he had a warehouse full of whole boxes full of early Marvels. I saw the box of Hulk 1's, was pretty amazed to see over a hundred copies in one place..

Edited by paqart

1 hour ago, paqart said:

Check this ebay sale for $400.

So a CGC 9.8 actually sold along with another ~$150 comic for $400 and you think your 9.6 is worth $500? hm The math checks out.

2 hours ago, paqart said:

MyComicShop prices aren't that bad and it averages around $200 for the direct edition.

Their own prices aren't bad. The prices of consigned books they're offering rarely have a close relation to FMV (though they have been working to fix that).

All of the Incredible Hulk (v.2) #92s they currently have listed on their site are consignments.

So two comments come in that my estimated value of a newsstand Hulk 92 were far too high. I provided an example of a recent sale that was in the ball park of my estimate, and now the thread has died? Maybe you guys are on vacation, but I hope you realize that my estimate wasn't as wrong as you seemed to think. At worst, it is 20% higher than an actual recent sale and in line with a 100% premium over direct edition prices. That isn't a huge discrepancy to anyone outside of Scotland.

57 minutes ago, paqart said:

So two comments come in that my estimated value of a newsstand Hulk 92 were far too high. I provided an example of a recent sale that was in the ball park of my estimate, and now the thread has died? Maybe you guys are on vacation, but I hope you realize that my estimate wasn't as wrong as you seemed to think. At worst, it is 20% higher than an actual recent sale and in line with a 100% premium over direct edition prices. That isn't a huge discrepancy to anyone outside of Scotland.

:screwy:

Did you really miss the fact that your "$400" sale included another $150-ish book in addition to the Hulk? It's a good thing nobody pointed that out right above your last post. :facepalm:

On 7/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

Did you really miss the fact that your "$400" sale included another $150-ish book in addition to the Hulk? It's a good thing nobody pointed that out right above your last post. :facepalm:

I did. Why is that a good thing? I don't mind having something like that pointed out.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:22 PM, paqart said:

You need more data to be precise. One sale isn't enough. I would also stop using Mile High as an example.
Chuck uses a sales tactic where he marks books from 75 to 200% then does sales for 40% to 50% off to make 
it look like you are getting a deal. 

Now the Hulk 92 came out in 2000. This is when newsstands are getting starting to get thin. Not bone dry yet,
but harder to find. A book like this which is a key is actively sought out by tons of buyers and many look for
newsstands as well. Many wont even come to market and are private sales. I can tell you if one comes across my hands it wont make
it to ebay I have a list of buyers who would want it. 

On the raw side I sold a 9.2ish DD 9 for $80.00 on ebay. Raws were getting $30 or so in NM.
So basically 2.5x the average price which is close to the basic 3x raw newsstands are getting. 

I think I saw 2 9.8 newsstands come up and sell for $300.00 so right now I would say the mulitiplier
for a key book in 1999 would be around 10.

Now as the years go up so should the mulitiplier I think. Now I think more data is needed, but thats
how I approach pricing currently. And with little data its the best you can do.

20 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think I saw 2 9.8 newsstands come up and sell for $300.00 so right now I would say the mulitiplier

so you think i can get 15k for a newsstand 9.8 of a book that sells for 1,500 for a direct 9.8? i was thinking 10k would be high estimate but i like yours better

2 hours ago, williamblood said:
3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

so you think i can get 15k for a newsstand 9.8 of a book that sells for 1,500 for a direct 9.8? i was thinking 10k would be high estimate but i like yours better

I love how you take one sentence from my paragraph to get your warped logic. Go back and read it again. 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:52 PM, valiantman said:

I paid $250 for this... one of the final Marvel newsstand books (has "DISPLAY UNTIL 12/10/2013") in the barcode. 

A regular CGC 9.8 copy is worth $50, so I paid a 5x multiplier for newsstand.

There is a 1:50 variant for Superior Spider-Man #20 which has sold for as high as $1,200 in CGC 9.8 for this issue, but the most recent 1:50 variant CGC 9.8 sale was $400, so from that standpoint, I paid about 62% of the 1:50 variant price.

2111989001.thumb.jpg.cdfa883c8c9e67c54cb40d35603932ec.jpg

I was looking, but the closest I could get was Astonishing X-Men 68 with - display until 11/19/13.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, PeterPark said:

I know I have a Daredevil 21 newsy around here someplace...

I got lucky and found Daredevil 40 and 41 Newsstands in a nearby booth at a local comic con back in early March.  Right after that the coronavirus shut everything down.