• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I think they're world's apart, but it does look similar to this book... :x

eb8ec9f8-5dc4-47c7-a9c6-ece416baaa61_zpsomj7hnqg.jpg.ee9d4299173475abc0518f8fd95fdf22.jpg

What do you think?  :tink:

A little bit .... I suppose it's the oil theme and the way he's flying that make me see a similarity in the Marvel & the Torch. Both are super cool Schomburg covers too!!!  :headbang:

10 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

A little bit .... I suppose it's the oil theme and the way he's flying that make me see a similarity in the Marvel & the Torch. Both are super cool Schomburg covers too!!!  :headbang:

Totally agree, both #16’s are stunning covers and superb examples of Schomburg’s pen/ink work.  What’s amazing thing about the HT #16 is how much background detail Alex was able to work into it without compromising his principle foreground characters.  While it’s fair to describe some of his more complex compositions as busy, his finished work rarely if ever seems cluttered. (thumbsu

54 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Totally agree, both #16’s are stunning covers and superb examples of Schomburg’s pen/ink work.  What’s amazing thing about the HT #16 is how much background detail Alex was able to work into it without compromising his principle foreground characters.  While it’s fair to describe some of his more complex compositions as busy, his finished work rarely if ever seems cluttered. (thumbsu

Agreed! He occasionally gets a knock or two for what some perceive as his covers being TOO similar but to my eye, that's more applicable to the later Timely books, once they switch to the smaller format. He's one of the all time greats!  :headbang:

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:
15 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I've always dug this cover and thought it bore a resemblance to this earlier book. Thoughts?  (shrug)  

Marvel Mystery 16 no label.jpg

I think they're world's apart, but it does look similar to this book... :x

eb8ec9f8-5dc4-47c7-a9c6-ece416baaa61_zpsomj7hnqg.jpg.ee9d4299173475abc0518f8fd95fdf22.jpg

What do you think?  

I don’t know.  I don’t see it.