• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
14 14

591 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

One of the few times Schomburg worked on an interior story (Jon Juan #1, Spring 1950):

WiYYtYr.jpg

There’s a lot to unpack here.

first of all, an artistic team of Jerry Siegel and Alex schomburg? I would never have imagined such a thing.

second of all, it seems apparent that Alex schomburg’s brilliance shone more brightly in his cover work than in his interior work. Or maybe that’s too limited a view. Maybe his brilliance shone more brightly in WWII war themes than in romance/intrigue.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

28 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There’s a lot to unpack here.

first of all, an artistic team of Jerry Siegel and Alex schomburg? I would never have imagined such a thing.

second of all, it seems apparent that Alex schomburg’s brilliance shone more brightly in his cover work than in his interior work. Or maybe that’s too limited a view. Maybe his brilliance shone more brightly in WWII war themes than in romance/intrigue.

I suppose more could have been gotten out of it, even on the grounds of being a fun little experiment, but I felt that Schomburg’s interior art was still solid, well-proportioned, and still pleasing to look at than at lot of lacking interior art from other comics. He definitely could have done what Mac Raboy did for Green Lama #7 and have presented the story using Craftint Doubletone paper though. Not sure if Schomburg was ever familiar with that approach, but the results using it can be quite interesting:

E65yt87.jpg

xmrGlue.jpg

VGQ5XJH.jpg

vx5OKwy.jpg